This is BS

Options
Good evening fellow forum members. How in the heck does a new person post a new post in this place? I am an experienced member and I spent many a minute looking for the.....

Never mind.

I called an experienced member in good standing to find out. My question is this;

How in the world would a new member find out how to post a new thread given that an experienced member has to make a call to find out how to post?

Daggum, at the very least, change the headers to where it leads to something simple like "post a new thread"

The new discussion link leads the "new member" to think that the "new discussion" can be posted anywhere.

Now before you defend Vanilla or whatever this is called.......

Please allow me to remind you of my original comments.
Good evening fellow forum members. How in the heck does a new person post a new post in this place? I am an experienced member and I spent many a minute looking for the.....

Never mind.

I called an experienced member in good standing to find out.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    But Tom, we now have B-u-t-tbook and Dimtwit links.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Bring it up with management.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    I have as a beta whatever. Now that I have been off for a while and now returning "as an experienced poster"? Jeeebus.

No wonder the forum membership has gone down. Newbies can't post.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    Old Mule is great Bbq sauce and the family is great.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    But Tom, we now have B-u-t-tbook and Dimtwit links.

LMAO....gonna steal that if you don't mind.

Tom,
    You still need help or did another member nail it down for you ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thanks Tony, I got it now. Much appreciated. Replying to threads since the change is easy as that is clearly marked as "Post comment". Posting a new thread should be just as clearly labeled. I never clicked on the "New discussion" link because I didn't want to see any new discussions, I wanted to post a new thread.

Tom
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    If you have the mindset and attention span of a 7 year old, Vanilla is easy to navigate. If, however, you're intelligent, and possess even moderate logical thinking, it becomes increasingly difficult to understand this mess.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    If you have the mindset and attention span of a 7 year old, Vanilla is easy to navigate. If, however, you're intelligent, and possess even moderate logical thinking, it becomes increasingly difficult to understand this mess.

So...Vanilla is the Common Core of online formats ? lol

Tom,

Terminology pal, people today find it over rated and have no use for the proper language. Glad you got it down pat, and now that you do.....don't disappear again or we'll send Cathy to hunt your a$$ down.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • westmassguy
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

So...Vanilla is the Common Core of online formats ? lol

Tom,

Terminology pal, people today find it over rated and have no use for the proper language. Glad you got it down pat, and now that you do.....don't disappear again or we'll send Cathy to hunt your a$$ down.

That thread is never going to end, unless Ken puts the hammer down.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options

It all has to do with being able and willing to adapt to change...you shouldn't insult people's intellect who can adapt easily. Like anything else it becomes more familiar the more you use it. I don't favor either of the apps... It's the content that I care about.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • westmassguy
    Options

It all has to do with being able and willing to adapt to change...you shouldn't insult people's intellect who can adapt easily. Like anything else it becomes more familiar the more you use it. I don't favor either of the apps... It's the content that I care about.

It was a joke, jeese. Everyone is wound so tight lately.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    There are admittedly some things that I have found counterintuitive on vanilla (not nearly as many as some), but posting a new thread is not one of them. Anyway, glad you got it worked out, and hope you stick around.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You mean that BIG BOX on the upper right corner the says in big blue letters NEW DISCUSSION.

Vanilla was new to us all and somehow we manage. And I doubt very much the reason for less participation is tied to not being able to start a new post/subject or navigate around Vanilla.

It takes about 1 minute of patience and a willingness to click a few things (trial and error) and voilà.....It's really that simple

H9
    Post edited by heiney9 on
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    Options
    Who is Viola ?
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    Sorry didn't mean to offend the internet police
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    I generally agree that vanilla is a solid platform. There were some transition pains, and still some things as Skip mentioned that can stand to be improved, but its now solid overall.

What I think is hilarious is how much b!cth!ng we had about v-bulletin, remember that?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • BlueFox
    Options
    The Vanilla default censorship is my biggest complaint.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    I see this sort of thing all the time as my life is managing IT projects. There are always adoption issues. We spend considerable amounts of time and resources to manage the human element of these projects but there are always a few difficult users that resist and struggle with the changes. It takes a lot of energy to get them to move forward. Westmassguy I am not being critical of your comments just relating my experiences relating and dealing with change in the IT environment. All of the apps in your day to day life are going to change. From your TV menus to how your IPhone plays music...

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    It all has to do with being able and willing to adapt to change

Not really, the format still sucks and we lost a lot of valuable features.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    You mean that BIG BOX on the upper right corner the says in big blue letters NEW DISCUSSION.

Vanilla was new to us all and somehow we manage. And I doubt very much the reason for less participation is tied to not being able to start a new post/subject or navigate around Vanilla.

It takes about 1 minute of patience and a willingness to click a few things (trial and error) and voilà.....It's really that simple

H9

I tend to disagree with you there heiney9. If it were really simple, their would be a button or link that clearly states "post a new thread". I didn't want to see any "New discussions", I wanted to "post a daggum thread". Truth be told, I never clicked on that link because of that fact, hence the need for a phone call.

If this is simple, then simple needs to go back to common sense.

I mean, if one were to omit a post or edit a post....under this simple logic you speak of, the link to do such a thing would probably be called "Prepare".

Tom
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    edited October 2015
    Options
    apropos of this thread: I note, wryly, that there's another forum, somewhat similar to this one, currently undergoing the "new BBS package" experience :-P
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Options
    It all has to do with being able and willing to adapt to change...

But I hate change! I'm boring, slow, dull, love routine, abhor trendy apps, a self-admitted Luddite stuck in my ways....oh...and get the $#%* off my lawn! :)

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    Options
    I just click in the huge box and make my post, maybe there is a harder way to do it?
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Mikey081057
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Erik Tracy wrote: »

But I hate change! I'm boring, slow, dull, love routine, abhor trendy apps, a self-admitted Luddite stuck in my ways....oh...and get the $#%* off my lawn! :)

Almost sharted in my adult diaper reading that. :D

It also amuses me that you can't say s**t or f*rt but you can say shart.

• westmassguy
    Options

Almost sharted in my adult diaper reading that. :D

It also amuses me that you can't say s**t or f*rt but you can say shart.

It will soon be added I'm sure, along with shite.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    Glad to see you posting Tom. :) Seems like it's been awhile, and yes, it's taken me awhile to learn how to get around this new Vanilla,lol.
  • BlueFox
    Options

Change does not always equate to quality.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

Change does not always equate to quality.

For sure but: Change is the only constant.

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    New Discussion, New Thread, the key word in each is New! It really isn't rocket science. All you had to do was click on it and you would have discovered what it meant.

If you are alive, then change is going to happen. If you are not willing to investigate the changes, then you will be left behind.

In terms of the corporate world that means they will dump your a$$ and replace you with someone who is adaptable and willing to learn.

In areas like this board, sooner or later others will replace those who have left and the world will keep marching on.

If the change impacts/imparts new knowledge to my brain, I'm all for it. It is only when things start to negatively impact me physically, will I seek a different route.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • treitz3
    Options
    Well, it looks like for some people the "new post" link was easy to spot. It wasn't for me. No biggie. I am old and perhaps set in my ways and when I want to post a thread, I look for a "post new thread" button.

Don't tease me too much. Remember at one point in all of your respective lives, you had to be taught how to use a spoon.

Thanks for the kind words, Polkie 2009. You know what bites? I forgot what I was going to post in the "New Discussion". See what happens when you take the common sense away from old people and add a little Vanilla?

Tom