Looks like my truck is a lost cause...time to buy another.

Options
Shop just called and said frame is really really bad, not even repairable. So, if you needed a 3/4 ton+ work truck, non diesel and had less than $10k to spend what would you lok at?
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    Go electric. DUH!!!!

You dont need to haul anything and only need to drive 75 miles roundtrip.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    Options
    You can get Nissan Titan's in a pretty reasonable price range. I had a 2005 Nissan Titan LE that I absolutely loved for 8 years. It is a beast of a truck. I miss it every day.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    Move somewhere they don't rot out in 5 years?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Obviously you don't live in Denver but just as an idea... It's a little more but a second gen Tundra would be my choice.

http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/5243124802.html

00j0j_rY5299UWfU_600x450.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Move somewhere they don't rot out in 5 years?

Well, it's an 86 F250 so I'm not complaining about the life of it....sure grinds my a** to make payments again though.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    muncybob wrote: »
    Shop just called and said frame is really really bad, not even repairable. So, if you needed a 3/4 ton+ work truck, non diesel and had less than $10k to spend what would you lok at?

What kind of work do you do ? You sure it's not possible to put that cash down on a certified used newer truck ?

What kind of truck did you have before ? Were you happy with it....aside from the frame issues ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    Options
    I didn't know they made 3/4 ton tundras or titans.

$10k is a pretty good budget IMO for a wt. If you're not worried about a diesel, I think any ford or GM product will work good for you. If you need 4wd, I might lean towards a ford as they have less problems than Chevy's IFS.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    I didn't know they made 3/4 ton tundras or titans.

Whoops, didn't read closely enough. Titan is definitely a half ton, but has plenty of balls behind it. I never had a problem towing with my Titan and had quite a few campers / trailers behind it. They now make a diesel version that is very well reviewed.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited October 2015
    Options
    $10k is gonna be tough, methinks. We bought a 2001 Tundra SR5 (extended cab) 4x4 with about 100k on it (and in pretty good shape, including the Toyota replaced frame) for my daughter/son-in-law (as part of a vehicle swap) for $8k a couple of years ago; doin' the math and extrapolating to a 2wd might put you in the mid twenty-aughts... but I am guessing they're all 1/2 ton trucks (I dunno).
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Where do you live? I'm not saying I don't like Ford's I do, but here in the Midwest, it's rare if you find one less than 5 or 6 years that's not rusted out body wise then most trucks around here for 10,000 grand have a lot of miles on them. That amount around here won't get you much unless you dont mind body rust and high miles.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    GMC 2500hd. That'll be you Elinore.

Working men don't buy Tundras...they buy GMC, Ram, Ford. In that order ;)
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • muncybob
    Options
    Tony...the $10k is the total budget not a down payment, too many other costly projects to be done around here in the next year to get into much more money.

The 86 F250 served me well, owned it for close to 20 years and basically only required the usual maintenance that any vehicle would. The truck will be a mainly a firewood/work truck here in central PA. I doubt I put 1500 miles a year on the F250.

Too true about trying to find a non rust-bucket of any age around here. Maybe I need to search in Arizona or Texas for a truck and take a mini vacation.
  • muncybob
    Options
    Auto Trader is interesting. Will give it a look, seems the filter is not all that accurate though.
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2015
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    GMC 2500hd. That'll be you Elinore.

Working men don't buy Tundras...they buy GMC, Ram, Ford. In that order ;)

Up here (just one state north of you) there are tons (umm.... maybe that's tonnes, since they're metric) of them at work. Our farmer-neighbors have three of 'em: red, white... and dark grey.

We see some GMCs, less Fords, and virtually no Dodge'ums (umm, I mean, RAMs). The latter are all kinda Swiss-cheesy looking with rust (as Dodge/RAM trucks tend to be, IME).

Just sayin'.

EDIT: In fairness, I think up here the Tundra/GMC ratio is about 50:50 (talkin' work trucks, not the ones used to commute to work and buy groceries with).

Nissan pickups? I think there are two I've seen in the general vicinity (and there is a Nissan dealer in Lebanon, NH -- whereas the nearest Toyota dealer is across the river in WRJ, VT)

Probably goes without saying that virtually 100% of the trucks up here are 4x4s.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    I bought My Yota in San Diego and drove it back to the Midwest rust free and it still is rust free as I put it away for the winter months so it's not exposed to road salt. Your best bet is to find one outside of the Midwest or wherever your from. I would not be able to find a truck round these parts for your budget that is not full of rust and has a lot of miles on it espically a 3/4 ton, good luck in your search
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • tonyb
    Options
    We used to use Chevy trucks here in the Midwest for construction. The 1500 for lighter duty and 2500 for ....anything. Believe me, we beat the crap out of them too, overloaded, bouncing all around off road. They always ran well. Ford was used by many and GMC/ Dodge Rams as well.

That said, 10k isn't going to buy a real nice truck, but you can get a good runner to suit your needs. You only drive 1500 miles a year ? You live and work at the same place ? lol. I'll keep an eye out for ya....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Good price for a 2010, if your only hauling firewood, it should be sufficient.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/5231392167.html

Something cheaper....with low miles....

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/5248654343.html
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,340
    Options
    There is only one issue with those two trucks, Tony. Ford even circled the issue. Just take a look at the logo.

Only kidding.....I have nothing against Fords. If it is going to be used as a work truck, speaking from experience, I would recommend a long bed.

FWIW, my Chevy Silverado 2500HD is a daily hauler and has been since it's purchase. Just ran over the quarter of a million mile marker with no major repairs. Very happy....no, extremely happy with that truck and I look froward to hitting the half a million mile mark with it as well.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tonyb
    Options
    I hear ya Tom, like I said, the 1500-2500 Chevy trucks have been dependable work horses for us. Finding a 2500 hd though in his price range is going to be pretty hard....a decent one anyway.

Last thing you want to do is spend 8k on a truck and then have to throw a tranny or rear end in it.....or A/C compressor, all expensive repairs. Though no repairs is cheap anymore these days.

If all he's hauling is firewood, don't think a 2500 is really necessary. Unless he's picking up fat chicks on the weekends, then maybe a 3500 dump is in order.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    For the record -- I do really like Ford trucks. The first love of my life was a Ford truck...

14803393032_89de782588_b.jpgbronchusspiffed by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Good deal on that Ford Tony. I'm also in the market tired of "flintstoning" mine the hole beneath my feet is getting scary on my 1990 Ford F150 .....
  • jvc
    jvc Posts: 41
    Options
    hard to find a good vehicle especially work truck for 10K.
    been looking too and most are very high mileage.
  • muncybob
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Fly into DFW, come to my meet on Oct. 17, and drive home in your new truck that you found out here. Sounds like a plan to me Muncy.

That is tempting. I would then have penty of room for any other goodies to bring home. I have plenty of time to look around. The Mrs wants to be sure the truck has back seat so I'm looking for 3/4 ton+, 8' bed, back seat, 4X4 and good towing capabilities...not too picky are we?

A dump trailer would be useful but I also have the occassional need to haul a mini excavator from time to time. As for firewood, the 8' bed with side rails full of fresh cut wood weighs a lot. With the hills I have to drive up I don't think less than 3/4 ton is a wise option.

Been looking at this site, I'm partial to the older trucks...too ad he's not more local to make a quick visit:http://www.rustfreeclassics.com/

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Muncy, that website has some nice looking oldies on it. I think that might be your best bet in your range.
    Good Luck!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    We just picked up a mint 1997 1ton 4dr 4wd GMC garage kept with 120k original miles for $3500...bought to pull trailers a couple times a month
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • muncybob
    Options
    dang!! That's exacty what I needed...it always seems I hear about great deals from other people but the odds of me findng one are about the same as winning the lottery :(
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    It was a fluke, friend of a friend whose dad story...located in small town of Marble Falls TX
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a