Fear The Walking Dead

Options
Fear the boring first episode. Should start getting better now that more people are dying. I miss the rotting flesh on the zombies. Since everyone is newly dead, all they get are colored contacts and a limp. So the zombies basically look like most people waking up from a hangover.

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Don't know man....I'm kinda all Zombied out.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Don't know man....I'm kinda all Zombied out.
    Then you would have liked the first episode. If you remove the first ten minutes and the last ten minutes of the episode, it was like watching an ABC after school special on divorce, the cons of drug addiction and teachers being evaluated. No likable characters. Well, I liked the mom who used to be on HBO's Deadwood. I was hoping the whiny kid would become a zombie so he'd stop complaining in every scene. I know The Walking Dead has never been about the zombies, but more about the characters, so I hope the characters of this show become more interesting. If the same people are involved in making this show as the original series, I'm sure this will become an excellent program.

• xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,083
    Options
    Waiting to see what happens.
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Fear the boring first episode. Should start getting better now that more people are dying. I miss the rotting flesh on the zombies. Since everyone is newly dead, all they get are colored contacts and a limp. So the zombies basically look like most people waking up from a hangover.

Funny you mention the "people waking up from a hangover" thing. I watched the first 10 mins. (before the dammm Sling TV carped out on me) and thought that that was exactly what they were going for when the drugged up kid got up and started walking around looking for the girl.

He was staggering around like a zombie and had that weird partial shirt thing on which looked a bit like rags. He even kept staggering after he left the building and looked a walker going down the middle of the street.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Was a bit of a bore-fest, but it's supposed to pickup the pace rather quickly. We'll see.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    Other than the first and last 15 minutes, the rest was pathetically slow and boring. I felt like I was watching some boring family drama show , this better pick up next week .
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    Zombie melodrama just isn't sophisticated enough to hold my attention. The people that are into those shows have much in common with the brain munchers.
  • Polkie2009
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You may be right Kev, lol, I blame it on George A. Romero. :D "They're coming to get you Barbara" !
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Zombie melodrama just isn't sophisticated enough to hold my attention. The people that are into those shows have much in common with the brain munchers.

I like The Walking Dead. So do millions of other people. How can you assume we're all stupid?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Actually, the "Walking Dead" are not selective, they eat all body parts.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

I like The Walking Dead. So do millions of other people. How can you assume we're all stupid?

It could be cause we can suspend disbelief and be entertained, yet accept reality? I always thought Shaun of the Dead was pretty funny...
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    I'm watching the pilot now on the Sling Tv "AMC on demand," @Jimbo18 , no issues at all. Sling Tv has been solid. for me, for the most part since the March update. Which media streamer are you using?

Fear, hasn't been too bad so far, but I'm only 20 minutes in....
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    Options
    Oh, heck yeah! PFB is/was a prime choice as an arbiter of sophistication !

k4r16at1ttbj.jpg

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    I'm watching the pilot now on the Sling Tv "AMC on demand," @Jimbo18 , no issues at all. Sling Tv has been solid. for me, for the most part since the March update. Which media streamer are you using?

Fear, hasn't been too bad so far, but I'm only 20 minutes in....

@jeremymarcinko I am using a Roku 3 and haven't ever really had trouble with it. It's wired to the router and I have 60MB service (although it's never really that high).

It steams just fine for everything else but seems to dislike Sling TV. I tried it out for a few days and it didn't act up at all, so I signed up for 3 months to get the free Roku Stick. Now, it works okay most of the time, but when I tried to watch FTWD, and also Monday Night Football, it carped out a couple times.

ESPN has an "app" on the Roku and I have that linked to my Sling account and I was able to watch the football game with no problems on that. So it seems to be related to the Sling TV app.

• Polkie2009
    Options
    I didn't care much for last night's episode, way too slow,boring more__ family drama bs, and looks like it's made on a cheap budget. I gave it a chance, I'm scratching this one off of the list. The Walking Dead show is 10 times better than this spin off. Even Z Nation is better than this and has likeable characters. FTWD had no likeable characters .
  • Hermitism
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Questions about Episode 2

*light spoilers*

Am I the only one that thinks the school principal is a tall version of Webster?
    2g5aj3j5tmxh.jpg

Would a school nurse's office actually have Oxy?

Why give oxy to someone that just finished his withdraws? Didn't he succeed in getting the drugs out of his system or does it take much longer? I have no experience on this topic.

• gdb
    Options
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    I didn't care much for last night's episode, way too slow,boring more__ family drama bs, and looks like it's made on a cheap budget. I gave it a chance, I'm scratching this one off of the list. The Walking Dead show is 10 times better than this spin off. Even Z Nation is better than this and has likeable characters. FTWD had no likeable characters .

I like the character played by Kim Dickens, liked her even better as the hooker/madam on Sons of Anarchy. But yeah, this show is taking it's sweet time gaining momentum, for sure.
  • Hermitism
    Options
    Am I the only one that thinks the school principal is a tall version of Webster?

2g5aj3j5tmxh.jpg

Tough crowd. I thought that was gold for sure!

yvjkm1czk3ts.jpg

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    Options
    Questions about Episode 2

*light spoilers*

2g5aj3j5tmxh.jpg

Would a school nurse's office actually have Oxy?

Why give oxy to someone that just finished his withdraws? Didn't he succeed in getting the drugs out of his system or does it take much longer? I have no experience on this topic.

It looks to me that it was confiscated stuff that maybe just hasn't been turned over to the authorities yet?

I don't think it's about getting the drugs out of your body, it's about the addiction to those drugs. So they give him low doses of oxy until he can slowly ween himself off from being dependent on them.

I've enjoyed both episodes so far, but I find I'm far less critical of movies and shows than you guys are, haha. This show is about how it came about. So it's going to be about a 'normal' family's life for a little bit because it doesn't go from 0 zombies to thousands in a matter of minutes...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • westmassguy
    Options
    Four episodes in, and this is a BORE-FEST. Maybe I've been spoiled by the original, or can't relate to SoCal, but honestly, I could care less for any of the characters in this series. I hope they all get eaten in the final episode, and be done with it.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Polkie2009
    Options
    I actually gave it another chance and watched the second episode and still was bored to tears. I can't believe AMC wants to waste money on a second season. Westmassguy is right, I found none_ of the characters likable. Enjoying Z Nation on Friday nights and waiting for The Walking Dead to return October 11th.
  • westmassguy
    Options
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    I actually gave it another chance and watched the second episode and still was bored to tears. I can't believe AMC wants to waste money on a second season. Westmassguy is right, I found none_ of the characters likable. Enjoying Z Nation on Friday nights and waiting for The Walking Dead to return October 11th.
    I'll check that one out. The Strain is also an excellent series.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Polkie2009
    Options
    Z Nation is on SyFy so expect it to be more B movie like compared to TWD. What I like about ZN is that it's campy fun and some of the head shots will leave you laughing. Call it a Bluefox Friday night, kick back a few tune into Z Nation and have a few laughs. :)
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    I also haven't really connected with this version of the show. The Walking Dead is as much about the characters and how they interact with each other as it is about the zombies. The characters in this spinoff are bland, not interesting, are very self absorbed, pretty clueless, and appear to have had multiple self inflicted problems long before their version of the world came to an end. And, four episodes in and the main characters are still living at home. Maybe it's a commentary about people in Los Angeles!

Ordinarily with The Walking Dead I'll record it and watch it in time shift mode half an hour after it begins so I can skip over the 25 minutes of commercials for each episode. With this one, I'll record it and watch it a few days later. It also competes in the time slot for Showtime's Ray Donovan, which is a lot more interesting view of LA.
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    Options
    I am starting to like it. Nowhere near as good as The Walking Dead but it is not bad.
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    Options
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    Watched the first three episodes-some observations:
    1. Do we need another TV show based is LA? Boring....
    2. Of course, mixed couples with a kid who is a heroin addict are common place in California....nice stereotyping
    3. None of the characters are likable- I hope they all are eaten by zombies.
    4. Again, the son who is going through withdrawl is treated as routine day in the life of a California family....really?
    5. Episode 3 civilization goes to hell and people starting rioting because....people are turning into zombies??? Seems like a big leap in logic.
    6. Why is the Dad driving a pos pickup truck in LA?
    7. Nothing breaks up a zombie apocalopyse like a game of monopoly.
    8. This ones coming off the TIVO record list folks...
  • gdb
    Options
    A "POS" to some.......is a "classic" & "collectible" to others. A vintage, and presumably, smog-test exempt truck in Calif. would be nice to drive and relatively cheap to maintain. (IMO) :)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    I'm just catching up on this show, and haven't read any of the other posts, but holy crap, this is creepy! So far it's creepier to me than TWD. I don't know, maybe because it's the beginning, and no one knows what's going on or what to do yet. Seems somehow more psychological. Intense.

The kids in this show are killin' me though - no sense, trying to do whatever they want, not listening to anyone. I shouted at the tv. Haven't any of them seen a horror film before? They don't know any of the rules?!?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    I wrote the show off after watching 2-3 episodes when it came out. Last night I caught up on it including the first episode of second season and it actually does get a lot better.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk