Scariest movie you've ever seen?

In honor of the passing of Wes Craven, let's talk about the scariest movies we've seen...

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Comments

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    I have always found suspense more intriguing than gore. With that in mind, The original Alien film is one of the all-time scariest movies I have seen. Honorable mention to The Grudge as well....
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Second the first Alien movie. I knew nothing about it when I went to see it at the theater. When the guy started having what appeared to be convulsions, and the creature burst out of him . . . well, I think the everyone in the place jumped out of their seats. Couldn't relax for the rest of the movie.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Exorcist still gives me the willies.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The Exorcist, followed by The Ring. Psychology over gore.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,309
    Depends on which age I was. When I was about 12, I watched the original The Thing on the 11PM Friday night movie, by myself, and it scared the carp out of me. So did Dracula, Prince of Darkness when I was 14.

Later in life, I thought The Exorcist was pretty darn scary. And Psycho, of course.

One movie a lot of people might dismiss, that I found very scary the first time I saw it, was The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I am not into gore, but there were a few scenes in that movie that were just downright chilling, including the one where the old man is too frail to wield the hammer to crush the skull of the captive girl but kept weakly trying while the son holds her still.

Stephen King wrote a book about scary movies called The Danse Macabre. In it, he says that he could find something scary or chilling, in even the worst horror movies. One example he gave had to do with a terrible, cheesy 50's horror flick (I don't remember which one) which was really bad except for one scene where a big spider crawls into a blender and gets blended up in a milkshake that someone drinks.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    The Exorcist, I wouldn't sleep in my bed for a week!!!!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    When I was a kid. Dawn of the dead
  • +1 for The Exorcist. As for something more recent, The Conjuring made me jumpy for quite a while.
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    The Car, starring James Brolin..the opening scene where it run two cyclists peddling as fast as they can for their lives of a High Bridge..
    Watched it by myself long ago at night..
    The Evil Dead the original starring Bruce Campbell, watched it with a bunch of friend on a dark rainy night, after it was over I RAN as Fast as I could home..lol
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    "The Crawling Eye"
    Saw it on a foggy night during the time that every other car parked at the curb was a Beetle. Which in the fog looks just like a crawling eye. Plus this was the very first time I was allowed to stay out late at a friend's house. I was seven years old and I walked home by myself in the dark and the fog after seeing that movie.

I was terrified. The mind does play tricks on you.
    This was in the 50's
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Exorcist +many

I always found Nightmare on Elm Street a good one - kills you in your dreams and it's real - I mean come on man - that's a good concept - Kudos to Craven!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Alfred Hitchcock did some very good ones that made you use your mind against yourself..
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    I've had many movies make me jump out of my seat when something unexpected happens, but I have only had one movie literally scare me because of the age in which I saw it. Ready? The Wizard of Oz. The witch and the flying monkeys traumatized me. How is that Rated G for all ages?

Now that I'm older I find the munchkins to be the scariest thing I've ever seen.

I am also a fan of suspension over gore. I would prefer a movie like Deliverance over a Friday the 13th sequel.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Coltsfan#1 wrote: »
    +1 for The Exorcist. As for something more recent, The Conjuring made me jumpy for quite a while.
    I agree on Exorcist and Conjuring, which reminded me a lot of the Exorcist's building suspense and dread.

The Conjuring was made here in town. The paranormals' house, where Annabelle is kept, is like 5 houses down the street from us and the parents' house where bad stuff happens is next to it. The studios looked at our house for one of those locations, but wanted more of a 70's look. Thank goodness they didn't film here - I don't think I could have stayed after seeing the movie. hehe

"Annabelle's House" went into foreclosure and has been gutted. Hmmm...

the-conjuring-annabelle-doll-610x343.jpg
    This is the real Annabelle, which is even creepier but not as cinematic I guess:
    screen-shot-2014-08-04-at-6-39-48-pm.png?w=215&h=369

Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    The Omen...

The Exorcist...

And I knew nothing about it when I rented it a few years ago But SAW (the first one) was pretty freaking insane IMO...
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2015
    For me @ the age of seven,about the year 1962 it was the Gill Man, aka The Creature From The Black Lagoon.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Hermitism wrote: »
    The Wizard of Oz. The witch and the flying monkeys traumatized me.

They always scared me too, especially those freakin' monkeys!!!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    The Exorcist and Nightmare on Elm Street (the original).

RIP Wes Craven!
    No excuses!
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    edited August 2015
    god, I love this stuff, and a great time to ask the question daddyjt, cooler weather, the sun is lower in the sky, a little fall color, football less than a week away, you can almost taste Halloween, leaves in the street, the Halloween carnival and scary poster contest at elementary school.

For me, the exorcist, after waiting through 2 showings, and hearing the screams inside the theater and watching 2 crowds walking out, some crying, most clearly shaken, all impressed.

Man when we sat down in our seats, we were primed, the only time I have ever closed my eyes during a movie, I just could not take one scene.

To convey how important suspense is, the scene I could not watch was not gory or even visually horrific, it was a simple shot of the priests going back up to her room and were just about to open the door again.
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    Alien, The Exorcist, and a little known gem, The Changeling w/George C. Scott and Trish Van Devere. All great edge of the seaters with minimum gore. Great stuff. Even Jaws is a great edge of the seater.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Of all the Exorcist movies, I think the one where they go back to the beginning is the best of the series. Creepy.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    The Blair Witch. Seriously. The first time I saw it I was scared. At the end when they go down to the basement and the guy is standing in the corner...

The second time I saw it, not as scary.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Nightfall wrote: »
    The Blair Witch. Seriously. The first time I saw it I was scared. At the end when they go down to the basement and the guy is standing in the corner...

Blair Witch ??

Think I was more scared the first time as a kid when I got a hard on and didn't know what was happening.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • The Exorcist
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    tonyb wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »

Blair Witch ??

Think I was more scared the first time as a kid when I got a hard on and didn't know what was happening.

I know, I know. I don't know what it was about the first time I watched it but I was scared.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited September 2015
    Only two movies have ever had me sleep in my parents room when I was a kid.

The Changeling as Mr Grand has stated, that movie stuck with me for years. The other, if I remember right, was called The Boogens... I was warned. Had me blinking into the dark many nights.

Was fun stuff for a kid.

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • The Exorcist...hands down
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Happy Gilmore
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited September 2015
    The Cat in the Hat :#
    maxresdefault.jpg

The Descent
    As Above so Below
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant