Wyred4Sound Music Server??

I have had my eye on this for sometime, anyone or know anyone with any experience with one?

I will really be looking at it at this years RMAF in October...

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I have had my eye on this for sometime, anyone or know anyone with any experience with one?

I will really be looking at it at this years RMAF in October...

I see nothing really wrong with it. I guess what you need to do is figure out if you like the W4S sound as I would imagine their MS's would carry that same "house sound".
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    edited August 2015
    Well I can pick one up for $1400 with the SSD 1tb upgrade, so it's a huge savings, and I already own the DAC 2, STP-SE PRE AMP, and the SX1000 Mono blocks from W4S..

I am quite pleased with their gear...

The guy upgraded to the Evo.

I will look into that DSkip Thanks!!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    DSkip wrote: »
    At $1400 its a better option, but still over what I'd pay. I just don't see the value at $2k. 1tb SSD is still about $350 alone.

Personally I dont think a 1 TB HDD would be enough..... I'm sitting at that NOW and thats WITHOUT a lot of high res stuff, just a lot of FLAC rips...

For me I'd go with your type setup, but end up using a spinny 4 TB disc drive. With some dynamat or Acostimat foam (specialized dynamat for computer cases) the noise from the hard drive should be totally inaudible and your gonna save a TON over SSD's.....

But thats just me.

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Toolfan66
    That's the stuff I need to hear, as this is all new to me, so I will dig deeper into your guys threads..

Thanks!!!
  • Toolfan66
    I just want a music server in my rig, something that will rip my disks to flac, and control and play from a touch screen monitor or just my iPad..

And like you said with as little noise as possible..
  • Toolfan66
    So do you have a list of items I would need? keep in mind I don't want to cheap out so I do want SSD..
  • EndersShadow
    So do you have a list of items I would need? keep in mind I don't want to cheap out so I do want SSD..

Basically you need the following items:

Motherboard
    Case
    CPU + cooler
    Memory
    SSD

Skips decision was based mostly on the fact his case was VERY RESTRICTIVE on what motherboard and CPU he could use since the CPU cooler basically IS the case. If you want his same case that company has a list of motherboards you'd need to use/find.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Toolfan66
    edited August 2015

Basically you need the following items:

Motherboard
    Case
    CPU + cooler
    Memory
    SSD

Skips decision was based mostly on the fact his case was VERY RESTRICTIVE on what motherboard and CPU he could use since the CPU cooler basically IS the case. If you want his same case that company has a list of motherboards you'd need to use/find.

I was thinking about "BUILDING MY OWN CASE!!!" B) Once I get the parts that I need..

I would also want a drive to load my cd's/dvd's with as well.. NO??

• EndersShadow
    edited August 2015
    I was thinking about "BUILDING MY OWN CASE!!!" B) Once I get the parts that I need..

You've got the skills to do so. Main thing to ask is do you want a disc drive or not? No disc drive could equal a solid front panel milled to look like a piece of stereo gear.

So a better question is do you know what size motherboard you want (ATX, itx, Micro-ATX?) and what you want it for (Music ONLY, Video AND music, etc).....

How many SSD's do you want, do you want to use a SSD for the OS and a spinny disc drive (thats quiet and LOTS OF SPACE) for the music, or just a SSD for everything?

I bet you can fab something REALLY SEXY up.

Here are some nice cheap cases as well for ideas..... most of these are built to use a CPU Cooler fan (which makes noise) but some like Skips are built to be passive...

FLS-8-B2.jpg
    FLS-8-B-Inside.jpg
    http://www.shop.perfecthometheater.com/FLS-8-Black-Low-profile-PC-HTPC-aluminum-chassis-FLS-8-Black.htm

T-ITX-5-Black-01.jpg
    T-ITX-5-Black-05(1).jpg
    http://www.shop.perfecthometheater.com/T-ITX-5-Black-Ultra-low-profile-aluminum-chassis-T-ITX-5-Black.htm

FLMidi.19.png
    FLMidi.29.png
    http://www.shop.perfecthometheater.com/FLMidi-100-Black-Mid-profile-PC-HTPC-Midi-aluminum-chassis-FLMidi-100-Black.htm

• Toolfan66
    edited August 2015
    Nice cases, I would sport any of those without issue..

What software do you use in a media server?? Or shall I ask what are you guys using??
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    FWIW
    Russman and I use an Intel INUC fanless PC with JRivers that we use IPAD/Iphone control at audio shows. We use WD external 3.0 external hard drives.

This is a quiet, fanless, small form factor and is portable as needed.

Still rip from main PC and transfer to the WD drive.

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Toolfan66
    DSkip wrote: »
    Larry, the benefit of those cases is that the case itself is a heat sink for the CPU. This eliminates the fan on the CPU cooler and also prevents an investment into water cooling, which my water cooler still has dual fans on the radiator. I was also able to use a pretty stout CPU (i3 vs. Atom) that most servers don't utilize. I also have 16 gb of ram vs. the 1 gb of ram found on most any server. I don't know how much the latter two really affect performance, but it can't be bad for longevity given the machine's purpose.

Awesome!! So what brand of SSD's are you using? Intel?? Seems to me these will be the biggest expense of the project..

Again what about software? what are you using..

You guys have the bug in me to do this, and I would rather build something cool than buy it..

• EndersShadow
    Depends.... Kodi is a good option, as it JRiver. Both have remote control apps so you can control playback via your phone, or use a Windows Media Center Remote. MediaMonkey is another option though I think JRiver and Kodi are more user friendly if your not using a keyboard right in front of you.