How to use a Y-splitter

scottdawg
scottdawg Posts: 166
Is it possible to install a Y-splitter from my pre outs into 2 seperate 2 channel amps. I want to set up a dual 2 channel rig, I have all the components if it will work except for the splitter.
Post edited by scottdawg on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2004
    go to Radio Shack and for a few bucks your havin fun.

BTW can you give a little more detail on what your doing? I like crazy stuff like that!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • scottdawg
    edited April 2004
    Shiite, Im lookin at some fun really. Ive got this B & K 300 watt amp and JBL L100's that are sittin idle. My NAD C270 and SDA SRS 2's are hooked up now to my Antique Sound Labs tube preamp. Well this is interesting...
  • scottdawg
    edited April 2004
    HBomb, Im just thinkin about utilizing my preamp to drive two seperate amps, is this a common thing to do?
  • HBombToo
    edited April 2004
    In bi amping sure it is but are you talking about setting up zones? I'm not sure how common it is but it can be done. I'm not sure how it will sound from a critical listening standpoint though due to very long interconnect runs and I recall a post from madmax regarding that very same type thing.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • scottdawg
    edited April 2004
    I would use them in the same room just as an expierement. The speaker wire would have to be long though.
  • HBombToo
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by scottdawg
    I would use them in the same room just as an expierement. The speaker wire would have to be long though.

Dude I did that and actually liked it for some strange reason:confused:

I moved all the hardware to the Bomb Shelter though.

Try it and let me know what you think. Sounds to me like were both kinda goofy;)

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited April 2004
    Hey Scottdawg,

I follow you. Splitting the preout will probably decrease the overall gain from the preamp somewhat to each individual amp. I've never tried that myself but if Hbomb says you can do it then I trust him. He's the EE not me. So this means you may have to increase the volume more on the preamp to get to the same "loudness". Now, the question is when you increase the volume will you introduce more harmonic distortion from the preamp?

The other tricky thing is since you are using different amps will be matching the gain of each amp so the speaker still sounds balanced between the highs and lows.

With the NAD C270, you can adjust the input gain on the amp to achieve this... though this will have to be done by ear.

With all that power, I would think that you have more than ample power to drive speakers with either amp alone. Interesting project though to see if you will be able to tell any differences.

Which way you going to try?? NAD on the bass and B&K on the highs?

Paul

p.s. 'dem dawgs look like they are going to be ranked highly again this year. Oh boy.. ya'll are probably drooling to get a bite back on us!;)
  • HBombToo
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by pjdami
    Hey Scottdawg,

I follow you. Splitting the preout will probably decrease the overall gain from the preamp somewhat to each individual amp.

pj I don't know this because I'm an EE but I learned it right here from the Good Doc a long time ago when I was considering biamping my mains and center. I asked that very same question. After his explanation I studied up a bit more and realized that current requirements from your preamps are very small and the amplifier is translating the voltages from the preamp in the range of 0 to ~29dB gain. It is the amp that provides the current to drive your speakers. So long story short preamps can be split with no real loss in power because the are voltage devices but the same does not hold tru for amps because they are really current devices.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited April 2004
    Cool deal Henry. I didn't know that either. Thanks for the learning here and the explanation on using the splitter.
  • scottdawg
    edited April 2004
    pj. First off drooling is calm to put it, I think more like panting and wheezing. lol ranked high... Im not a fan of preseason hoopla just look at what happened to Auburn last year.

I guess you would have to say the L100's are going to be the highs, Im limited to using them with my B & K due to the fact my SDA's need to be powered by a common ground amp, thats why I bought your NAD.