Martin Logan Dynamo 700W vs. Def Tech Supercube 4000 Subwoofers

teekay0007
teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
Can I get some opinions on what you folks think of these subs? Hopefully, some of you have some first-hand experience with them and can share your impressions.

What I'm looking for is a small sub that will enhance the low end on my 2-channel (LSiM-703s) setup. Initially, it would only be used for music in a stereo setting, but may be used in a 3.1 or even a 5.1 system - in a small-to-medium sized room. I'm trying to accomplish this with a very capable, high-quality sub that is almost invisible. Both of these subs have a footprint of about a square foot (or less).

The ML 700W has a 10" driver; 24-200Hz (+/-3dB); 300 watts/600 watts peak; left and right/LFE RCA line level inputs; down/front-firing (grille and spikes included).

The Def Tech SC4000 has a 8" driver (plus 2x 8" bass radiators); 16-200 (total freq response); 1200 watts; left and right/LFE RCA line level inputs, also speaker level inputs; front-firing.

Both mentioned subs are wireless ready, but that's not of immediate concern. I have two Polk Audio DSWPRO550wi that I've never used the wireless feature on either.

Also, for stereo use, what is the best way to connect the sub to the preamp - Stereo Line Level, LFE/sub out, or speaker level? The ML sub doesn't have speaker level inputs.

Thanks for any input/insight offered.

Comments

• felipe
    felipe Posts: 423
    Are those your only two choices? SVS SB1000 maybe??
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    What I'm looking for is a small sub...

I'm trying to accomplish this with a very capable, high-quality sub that is almost invisible. Both of these subs have a footprint of about a square foot (or less).

Thanks, felipe, but I'm looking for a small sub that pretty much goes unnoticed (physically) in my room. That SVS, while a very capable sub, is HUGE: 18.4"h x 15"w x 18.4"d (46 lbs.) - much bigger than even the Polk DSWPRO550wi's that I already have. Plus, I have a local availability of both of the subs that I mentioned, in VGC and at stellar prices.

• felipe
    felipe Posts: 423
    I believe you looked up the PB1000. The SB1000 is roughly a 13 inch cube. Check out the SVS outlet...believe they have one for under 500. But, if the two mentioned are available locally, that'd be the way I'd go too.
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

• teekay0007
    felipe wrote: »
    I believe you looked up the PB1000.

You're so right...oops. :| I'll have to look at the SB1000. I've only heard great things about the SVS line of subs too. However, with the others being local I'd like to see if one of them would fit my needs first.

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    The Velodyne SPL/MiniVee series is also worth a look.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I have experience with both subwoofer lines , the entire lines if you will. I will give you some general opinions on both.

The Martin logan subs are a music first subwoofer. They are remarkable at their size and price point. They really shine and sound wonderful. For Music they are a gem but when it comes to Theater they fall short compared to the Def Tech.
    Now Def Tech is a strange woofer. It can do both music and movies about equal maybe favoring theater by 1% or so. You sit down and get these things all dialed in and don't expect much when you look at how small they are and think " Ok it will do something". The first time I hooked one up I was floored. I laughed for about 15 minutes as I could not believe the overall performance. They have a remarkable ability to fill a room with bass notes and not call attention to themselves. Simply IMO some of the very best woofers on the market today at any price in this area. They also unlike most other woofers they evenly fill a room. Not defining logic or physics but scratch on that doorstep. You don't get huge peaks and dips around the room when only using 1 woofer. I have tested many woofers in my life and basically front firing sealed designs covers the same some do a better job but where you expect dips and peaks you get them. The DEF TECH woofers blend in those peaks and dips better then most with more smooth even response from more places in the room. I think it has a ton to do with their design and passive radiators. Even my Mythos ST woofers really fill the room amazingly well considering they are front firing. Not fair as there is 2 of them which usually covers most rooms amazingly but the response is beautiful no matter where you sit.

So Am I favoring the Def Tech subs? Absolutely IF I was building a theater first system and didn't own Martin logan speakers YES that is the woofer line I would buy. But if Music was my first passion and I didn't watch a ton of movies and Tv shows I might consider the Martin Logan maybe. Honestly man I'm not giving the Martin logan subs enough credit here as you are comparing them to one of the best subs on the market dollar for dollar IMO. If you compared the Martin Logan vs other brands I think they would stand taller.

Martin logan subs of all levels can and do Theater well, actually very well but they don't have the sheer impact that the Def Tech subs give you. If I picked up a Martin Logan sub and never had the ability to compare it to the Def Tech, I would be very happy with my purchase. I have owned several Martin logan subs and just gave one to a friend of mine. He loves it and I loved it for what I did with it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Dan your bang on with your opinion on the two subs mentioned in the op. Martin Logan subs are nice and musical and are more geared towards music and keeping up with the electrostats. I am out at my parents ranch right now and I keep Martin Logan subs out here for movies and its really great to max them out. My wife rented Divergent on bluray and my ears are hurting from dual 1500 15 inch subs. The movie was crap but the bass was non stop unforgiving hardcore punishment.
  • teekay0007
    Thanks for the input so far, guys. Keep it comin', I'm going to get a listen to these two later this week and should have an idea of which way I'm going shortly after that.

Special thanks to Dan (mantis) for that thorough review on the two subs. This will definitely be a stereo first (maybe entirely) setup and I've got to give the musicality of these things the most consideration.

Does anybody have any input on the best way to connect the sub to my preamp? Left and right line level or sub/LFE single cable connection?
  • EDUBAG
    EDUBAG Posts: 401
    I own the sc4000 and agree with Dan with everything he said. Specially that it is a pretty good double duty sub. Great for movies and in my opinion great for music.

Depending on where you are going to place it might be better to use the line levels or the speaker input.

I use the line level for music duty

Good luck
    HT:
    POLK AUDIO RTI4 FRONTS
    CSI3 CENTER
    DEF TECH PROMONITOR800 SURROUNDS
    PSW 125 SUB
    PIONEER ELITE AVR23TXH AVR
    APPLE TV 160GB
    PANASONIC BLURAY PLAYER
    50" PANASONIC PLASMA TCP50C2

2 CHANNEL: