Got me a new LED TV and I don't like the 120hz

With higher motion rate, it makes the movie feel like watching a Soap Opera! The motion effect is gone. I am not sure if it's just me but I feel like this technology is an overkill for Movie viewing. For sure it's applicable to Sports and Game viewing .

If there's a New TV out there that u could turn this off, please advise. Thanks Polks.
Godspeed,
D0661E

AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-07
Surrounds: RTis
2channel:Rti100 (carver driven
Sub:SVS PB12-Plus/2
Dedicated AMPs:Adcom GFA535, 2xCarver 1.5t, Carver m1.0t
Wsrn:Hitachi ultra vision LCD60, 32XBR400
PowerConditioner: MonsterC HTS5100
PS3, Toshiba HD A2, etc: SonySACD/ Panasonic gears DIVX.

MR3LIGION: Polkaudio; GSXR; E46; Reeftank;
Odyclub; Xsimulator; Sony; Zune; Canon

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    You should be able to turn that off.
    Which brand and model is it?

Look for something like Smoothing or Motionflow or something like that under the Picture settings in the Menu. They all call it something different. Turn it off, or set it to something "lesser".
    I disabled signatures.
  • doggie750
    doggie750 Posts: 1,160
    I have an RCA LED 60". Picture is pretty good but I've been trying to figure out how to turn off the motion rate.
    Godspeed,
    D0661E

AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-07
    Surrounds: RTis
    2channel:Rti100 (carver driven
    Sub:SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Dedicated AMPs:Adcom GFA535, 2xCarver 1.5t, Carver m1.0t
    Wsrn:Hitachi ultra vision LCD60, 32XBR400
    PowerConditioner: MonsterC HTS5100
    PS3, Toshiba HD A2, etc: SonySACD/ Panasonic gears DIVX.

MR3LIGION: Polkaudio; GSXR; E46; Reeftank;
    Odyclub; Xsimulator; Sony; Zune; Canon
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Most all brands you can turn off or adjust the rate up to 120 hz or whatever yours set goes up to. Grab that manual it should be in there.
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    You can turn it off, Samsung calls it film mode.
    Also turn off the Eco bs too.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • Ever since 120hz became a thing -- meaning, a pure marketing gimmick as opposed to an advance in technology which would actually improve performance -- I always have disabled the "feature" and recommended as such to all my clients.
    Jeff Rowland CAPRI | Yamaha RX-V3800 | Jeff Rowland Model 6 Mono Blocs | Technics SL1200 MKII | Shure V15VxMR w/ JICO Stylus | Sony SCD-XA5400ES | Monster HTS 2600 | Polk Audio LSi 15 w/VR3 Fortress Mod | REL T/9 x2
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    Is this why movies look like they are over processed or over calibrated on LEDs....the picture reminds me of how the video looked on the old SCTV tv show....if you are old enough to remember Second City TV.
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Like doggie said above, "soap opera effect".
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    I hate it too.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Some people say that they get used to it after 6 months or so. Honestly, I don't know if I could get used to it either.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited August 2015
    That technology sux. Turn it off and forget it was ever there. I purchased a sharp with it, made me sick to my stomach, literally. It went back.

I do think that it's implementation varies with success across brands, however. My brother in law's new vizio isn't as bad. It's still noticeable, but doesn't make me sick.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    This is why I hate that Plasma died... none of these problems.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

Exactly.

However Plasma's seem to have a longer life span than the other technologies. Can't have that now in a world of built in obsolesce.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    tonyb wrote: »

Exactly.

However Plasma's seem to have a longer life span than the other technologies. Can't have that now in a world of built in obsolesce.

Yup, and because everyone thinks they are worse.... they sell on CL for DIRT CHEAP!

40" Plasma computer monitor here we come!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    I just posted in Sal's thread about wanting a new TV. But it would have to be an amazing deal to have me leave my Viera plasma. I just want a bigger screen than my 42". It fit the wall and set nicely at the old house, in our new house it looks too small. But boy does it ever weigh compared to these new tvs. All that to say I'm sticking with quality over quantity, unless I get a killer deal on 60"+ at xmas time
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    tonyb wrote: »

Exactly.

So far my 50" Panny plasma is still working great - bought in 2009.

No plans to swap it out until something bad happens, then I'll be forced to consider what I need to 'settle' for.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    My 50" Samsung plasma has served me well, 8 years old and still a great picture and it's even a 720P
  • D'prived
    D'prived Posts: 191
    edited August 2015
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    My 50" Samsung plasma has served me well, 8 years old and still a great picture and it's even a 720P

Same here (delivered 1 January 2007) but that TV is in the master bedroom and still going strong!
    I bought a 55" Samsung LED (2011) for the living room to replace it and hated it! I ended up sending it back to Crutchfield and got a 60" plasma.