How to stream your personal lossless library

Options
Hey All,

So I am upping my headphone game a bit, since sitting at work is the main time I get to listen to music. And so far I have been happy with spotify, but with a nicer usb dac/headphone amp in the mix, I wish I could listen to my lossless library at work (and no, I don't want to do tidal).

So does anyone currently stream their library? I have pled on my home computer, so I think I can open a port that would allow my to do this, but I have never done that before and it makes me a little nervous. Any advice?

Thanks!
Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
Game Room 5.1.4:
Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Buy an external hard drive, copy all your music onto it, plug hard drive into work computer and listen?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    yes that is an option. they are so small now that its not that cumbersome, but I would ideally like to be able to stream to my phone as well when I am working in a starbucks, etc.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Yes pled will stream your music over the web using your home pc as the server.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Anyone know how to open a port? I gave it a quick try this morning to no avail. I don;t know much about routers, but this is the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-R7000-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B00P1Q9XNI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438787228&sr=8-2&keywords=netgear+nighthawk+ac1900
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • D'prived
    D'prived Posts: 191
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I don't know much about Plex but can't you log in to it via http://? I have a QNAP and log into it via the web and am able to stream my music via Music Station which is an app similar to Plex.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-access-your-plex-library-from-a-remote-computer/
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    I have not tried to use another PC but have tried the android app with good success.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Okay thanks guys the linked article should help. I will give it a try later this week hopefully. In the meantime I am grabbing my portable 1 tb hard drive with my entire collection on it and taking ti to work tomorrow...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1