Waters ''Amused to Death'' reissue on LP & SACD

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    should I just buy the redbook in the meantime :*
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Funny thing is, somewhere along the line while this got delayed and delayed, I won myself a mint copy of the '92 Holland vinyl pressing, so I cancelled my pre-order. If the reviews of the sacd are rave compared to the original q sound cd I may budge for it, but otherwise this one is a sleeper to me now. Just amazing that a reissue could have been delayed as badly as this one.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    2 sets of LP's, 1 SACD & 1 CD/Blu-ray for me. Ouch !!! IF it come thru this time.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Just Heard a release date Analog production/Acoustic Sounds 2LP 200gram available Friday July 24th!!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • nspindel
    Has there been any explanation about why this has taken so long?
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    They don't say why, wonder if they got to busy for awhile, they been pressing a lot of new records. doing Stevie ray Vaughn - kiss -Jimmy Hendrik etc...
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • chumlie
    Buyer beware !!! Looks like Columbia Records/Legacy Recordings is pressing them too. Best to get the vinyl from
    http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/89109/Roger_Waters-Amused_To_Death-200_Gram_Vinyl_Record
  • chumlie
  • [Deleted User]
    you go first chumlie. :#
  • chumlie
    Already did. Order is in. Haven't dabbled in years but sometimes exceptions must be made. Looking forward to it. Only been 2 1/2 years since original post. Best option for vinyl is soundstage direct. $44.99 Free shipping with lp10 discount.
  • [Deleted User]
    good tip! thanks chumlie :)
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    >:)
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I will own both!!

Looking forward to it. I just hope we don't have to wait a year for it..

Nope, 2 and 1/2 years.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • nspindel
    It's just crazy, how long this took. In those 2 1/2 years, I got hold of one of the 1992 Holland 180g pressings, in awesome condition. I've also got the original Q Sound Sony Mastersound gold cd, so I think I'm going to do the budget version of this remaster, and get the 24/96 HDTracks version. $17.99 and a 15% coupon.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Received mine this morning finally!laaquulm8a1i.jpg
  • aprazer402
    And? I have to work sometime, probably will until I drop. Workaholic to a fault. Actually I'm very busy. I'll try and give it a listen this weekend or maybe even next week. Gotta run now! :)
  • chumlie
    From vapor minor at Hoffman

'' Ok, I'm trying to describe it as "objective" as I can, which will surely turn out as difficult, as it is one of my all-time favourite records.
    Describing the sonic details, compared to the CDs (ordinary/MasterSound Gold):
    First, I recognized, that this mastering opens up even more the genius of Jeff Beck's guitar play. Roger's voice gets more intimate, he's really telling his stories to the listener. No doubt, that he always intended it exactly this way.
    Further on, the beautiful voices of his gorgeous background singers reaching almost unbearable clarity and beauty, which aims straight to the listener's heart.
    Regarding the sound effects, they appear much more upfront und more balanced in the overall presentation. Even the tiniest snippets of the rich repertoire of media recordings eventually get more coherent and one will discover things never heard before. Speaking of it, this new mix reveals some new effects, towards which I was sceptical the first time, I read about the new reissue. But I asure you, you will not miss anything at all. If detected, these subtle changes rock hefty and will fill you with blank astonishment.
    Finally, to provide you with the technical aspects of this unearthly release: the vinyl quality could set new standards, maybe even the guys at the other audiophile labels could have their WTF moments listening to this. The music resounds amusingly dead silent, and it seems to me, that the dynamic range is exhausted to its full potential, as the whole mastering is very low-keyed, hence easily crankable to 11.
    The rice paper inner sleeves belong to the best, that could caress a record.

Final conclusion: the best 50 bucks, I have spent in a looong time. ''

I couldn't write it any better. This one sets the standard for me on vinyl. Looking forward to the SACD too. GET IT WHILE YOU CAN !!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Thanks chumlie! I'm stoked now!! :D
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Thanks chumlie! I'm stoked now!! :D

Me too - think I will have to get it.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • [Deleted User]
    so SACD or LP?
    attack in both directions? :*
  • [Deleted User]
    any truth to the rumor that the "kid from Cleveland" is chumlie :*
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Received my SACD copy today. Went to remove the disc from the hub...it will not come off. Press a little harder on the hub, still won't come off. Press even harder and the hub cracks, but the disc came off. I try to put the disc back on the hub.....have to push
    the disc hard to get it back on and again, it doesn't want to come off easily. Call Music Direct, guy says it's the first they have heard and suggests I call Acoustic Sounds since they (MD) are only the seller. Yeah, but I bought it from you, so can't I just return it for a new one? Says, I'm not sure talk to AS first. Call AS and the return guy is out to lunch....AGH!!!

As much stuff as I've bought from Music Direct over the years I expected to hear, no problem we'll exchange it.

Not a happy camper right now.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited August 2015
    Just picked it up today on BluRay audio..

I don't think there will be any advantage sound wise between SACD and Bluray Audio..
  • F1nut
    After a nudge from Acoustic Sounds a new copy is on its way from Music Direct. I still haven't heard it, didn't feel right using what was going back.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• aprazer402
    Mine did exactly the same thing. I got it off with a heck of a lot of effort. I thought I was going to break the disc getting it off the hub. Bought mine from Acoustic Sounds. Sure is a poor design. At least it won't fall off in shipping. I may keep it off and put it in a sleeve. I was actually going to post to a comment to see if anyone else had this problem. I think the Acoustic Sounds "Tea for the Tillerman" SACD was tough getting off the hub also.
  • [Deleted User]
    "I still haven't heard it, didn't feel right using what was going back."
    and I don't think you should. I would just karma it when you get it.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    F1nut wrote: »
    After a nudge from Acoustic Sounds a new copy is on its way from Music Direct. I still haven't heard it, didn't feel right using what was going back.

Glad you got a replacement sent Jesse.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • F1nut
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    Mine did exactly the same thing. I got it off with a heck of a lot of effort. I thought I was going to break the disc getting it off the hub. Bought mine from Acoustic Sounds. Sure is a poor design. At least it won't fall off in shipping. I may keep it off and put it in a sleeve. I was actually going to post to a comment to see if anyone else had this problem. I think the Acoustic Sounds "Tea for the Tillerman" SACD was tough getting off the hub also.

Ugh, I was afraid that was the case. Both AS and MD said I was the first one to comment on the hub issue, I would encourage you to call AS at 1-888-926-2564 and ask to speak with the manager Nate, great guy. He was very interested in my problem and said if he gets more complaints they will absolutely address the hub problem as he was very concerned with the quality of their products. They made 15,000 of the SACD's, so this could be a huge PITA for them.

President of Club Polk

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    I Have the Redbook CD and was considering this as my next SACD purchase, I own some discs that are an absolute pita to remove from the hub and hate it when you have to push down on the hub and prying up on the cd while hoping the cd don't snap in half.

At least they didn't go booklet format with a rubber stopper as a hub like they did on David Gilmours On A Island CD, that was a disaster returned that one twice before I got one wear the rubber piece didn't come off along with the CD which I promptly put in a slim Jewel case after a successful removal.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)