Exodus Audio Maelstrom 18" Subwoofer

Comments

• zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    Sanded the filer and seams, and painted the baffles black for mounting the woofers; I'll bring the black cabinet coating all the way to the baffle edge to not effect the mounting.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,034
    Is there a "love it" button to click? Those pictures are cool. Big subs rule.
  • zingo
    Talking with a buddy who builds cars, he suggested trying Behr Textured DeckOver for this cabinet. It's a waterproof and heavy duty roll-on paint that fills imperfections and has a small texture mixed into the coating. I should be able to start applying it this evening after direct sunlight, and hopefully it will give the results I'm looking for. I don't need a extra rugged or textured Rhino Lining, but want to make sure the cabinet has a little more pop than standard paint.
  • zingo
    The heat this week seems to have "adjusted" some of the seams and joints in the cabinet, but I'm letting it sit in the garage today to help everything settle and cure.
  • zingo
  • zingo
    The coating turned out with a reasonable finish. The second coat helps a lot, but I should have done more prep on the joints. It's actually a really nice paint for this application and for a mild hide and texture, and any shortcoming of the product is related to my wood work.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,019
    This is a cool project Jake, reminds me a lot of the TC Sounds monster I was working on and ultimately scrapped due to the insane nature of it. I would love to hear it.

The last time I used a textured paint/truck bed liner for a speaker cabinet, I actually did a single coat, then scraped all of the texture off along with a light sanding, painted it a flat black, then applied another texture coat and preferred the results over just a textured finish. YMMV
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • zingo
    Dual amps for dual 2ohm voice coils.
    qwb0uwi823qp.jpg
  • zingo
    Initial tests are very boom boom and probably insane. With 4kW available from the two amps at 2ohms powering the 18" driver which is pushing two 18" passive radiators, it's enough subwoofer for the space. :blush: The bass is tight with all kinds of music, and I'll be trying a movie very soon. The cabinet and drivers did pass the "push test", so the cabinet is effectively sealed. I'll be doing frequency sweeps to tests all frequencies up to 80hz (since I've retuned the passive radiators and added foam in the cabinet), then rerunning the DSP tuning once I like the frequency response. While playing some Jay-Z, I could feel the air moving under the cabinet which was pretty crazy for a sealed design.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Holy mother of god.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • zingo
    Now I should add a seperate 30A outlet for the subwoofer amps to supply enough juice; although my power center can supply bursts up to 55A which seems to work for now.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    This thing reminds me of the guy that put a 12" subwoofer in a Volkswagen Beetle. He put a piece of plywood in the window cut a hole and used the car for the enclosure. :)
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • zingo
    I tested frequencies between 10hz and 85hz today and it sounded really strong by ear (feel for sub 20hz). I'll test it again using my SPL meter, but I'll level to spec it using a mic and software; anyone local have that equipment?
  • zingo
    Or I have a laptop and a 1/8" plug mic from my Yamaha DSP tuning; is there free software I can download to measure the subwoofer?
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Are you sure that thing wont liquify your guts? I think i need one lol!
  • zingo
    edited July 2015
  • zingo
    Downloaded the software on a laptop and went to plug in my mic, but it's a 2.5mm plug! Now I'll have to go buy a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter before continuing.
  • zingo
    Finally got around to ordering an adapter since all Radio Shack had for sale was an adapter multi-pack for $12.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Each time I see an update to this thread, I open it up hoping to see a picture of your house reduced to nothing more than a pile of rubble. So far, I have been sorely disappointed. ;)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    GUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHH..............................

And I'm finished... Nothing to see here.
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    GUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHH..............................

And I'm finished... Nothing to see here.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Each time I see an update to this thread, I open it up hoping to see a picture of your house reduced to nothing more than a pile of rubble. So far, I have been sorely disappointed. ;)

+1. LOL.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • zingo
    Sorry to disappoint you... Although the home theater is in the cabin, so it would only reduce that to rubble; not our house.

wppc5aal99nh.jpg
  • zingo
    I hope to have some measurements posted by the end of the week, and some final tuning after that.
  • zingo
    Well my wife and I decided to go to Austin last minute for a week (tickets purchased Tuesday morning, flight left Tuesday night), so my goal is to run the tests tonight.