Tubes in the house !

Well a few hours after I left to visit my grandson on friday the Fed Ex lady hobbled up my driveway with my xmas present to my self. I think she was over joyed to have my son meet her in the yard to take it from her. My Silk Audio MS-38 arrived just as I crossed the line in to SC. Well after several days of lusting for it and drooling over the photos my son sent me just to make me squirm I am listening to my first tube amp. I warmed it up for about 15 minutes at zero volume and tweaked the bias a tad and now I am running playlists off Tidal to start the burn in process.91m243ghaowc.jpg
jg6rt65yax6q.jpg
xt806sxktagm.jpg

Comments

• pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,497
    edited January 2015
    Really beautiful
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    edited January 2015
    Man, that's outstanding! An amp after my heart! Not one...but TWO places to set your coffee cup to keep it warm! Sweeeeeet! >:)

Love that meter too!

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Very Nice

is there a link to specs?
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Very Nice

The MS-38 is a Mc-30L with a redesigned front plate. Ray did not like the look of the original so he had them add the VU meter to the front to give it a more vintage style look.
  • Congrats, looks great! I've been waiting for at least a year to see what this amp was going to look like as Ray from Silk Audio has been working on it (it's a modified and rebadged Yaqin MC-30L). Thumbs up for the VU meter! I really like the sound of my MC-30L and I'm pretty confident you won't be disappointed with the MS-38.

My 2 cents, give the amp a listen for a few months to get a baseline of how it sounds with the stock tubes. I did what everyone suggested at the time I bought mine "get rid of the stock tubes!" so I rolled 60's era Tesla EL34's (had to turn the bias pot quite a ways to get it to 400V and even then they didn't have the great punch and midrange sweetness of the Shuguangs) and Svetlana Winged C's (the "good ones") and meh, same result as the Tesla. The Shuguang EL34-B's sounded better, hands down, no doubt about it.

Can't wait to hear your impressions of it.

Enjoy!
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • Very Nice

No direct link but since it's basically a 30L it's 50 WPC in Ultralinear mode and 25 WPC in triode mode.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Nice!!! Love the looks of it also!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Really like the redesigned look of the amp. Do you have it powering your 10's?
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Mercy goodness, I do not need to look at that.
    Holy Cow, awesome!!!
  • Faustin wrote: »
    Really like the redesigned look of the amp. Do you have it powering your 10's?

Yep the little beast is powering my 10a's. I have to say I am quite happy so far. I was so used to the sound of my Onkyo that I was a bit worried about how I would like the new amp. I never tweaked the tone controls of the old Onkyo as I did not need to. The highs and lows were just fine with the tone controls on zero. The new amp does not have any tone controls and so far it gives a sound very similar to what I had. I find the longer I listen to it the more I like it. I was concerned it would be lacking in the bottom end but that has not been the case. I have been listening to some Tidal and some mp3 and flac files I have on the pc through the Dac Destroyer from Hot Audio that aso arrived at the same time. I plan on hooking up the cd player tonight and giving that a whirl for a bit.

• xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    I think you're going to like the package I'm sending you with this amp. I have the 30L as well. It powers my SRS 2's to levels that scare me. The soundstage is wide and deep and the imaging is spot on. Enjoy!
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    That's a beautiful piece.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Nice amplifier. Tubes are excellent. Enjoy your new amp.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • factorz
    factorz Posts: 353
    Wow looks great! Happy to hear everything worked out and your enjoying it. Ray had mentioned to me about the change so it's cool to see it. I have to agree with the comment about getting a baseline before rolling in some new tubes.
  • DSkip wrote: »
    What generally kills a tube amp's performance is a really tough load. They don't like severe impedance drops, so as long as your speakers aren't notorious for needing big power behind them, tubes should make them sing.

Well while I do not think the Monitor 10a's are extremely efficient I do not see them as being a tough load.

factorz wrote: »
    Wow looks great! Happy to hear everything worked out and your enjoying it. Ray had mentioned to me about the change so it's cool to see it. I have to agree with the comment about getting a baseline before rolling in some new tubes.

I plan on running these for quite a bit before I try fixing anything. Money is tight so I guess I am lucky because I am a terrible hobby addict and suffer from GAS syndrome very easily. I have read so many different opinions on what works best and which tubes to change first. I may try changing the front tubes first as they are cheaper. Those power tubes can get expensive very quickly.

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Super congrats Bro :) looking really sweet!!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    She's a "beauty"! Now if you want to be condemned by the GODS like Prometheus, etc. Drop Brock a line and begin the Sisyphean task of rolling the RIGHT, NO the "perfect" tube! lol

If nothing else you'll have a few HUNDRED back up tubes and spend 1000s of hours scouring ebay, etc.!

Enjoy!

cnh

Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Beautiful Amp. Tube power is the Gateway Drug of choice, N'joy!
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Gorgeous. Congrats!
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • rikm
    rikm Posts: 23
    I see this is an older thread but I just started looking at this amp, do you still have it, and can you say anything about your time with it?
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    sweet!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Simplyrandom
    Simplyrandom Posts: 119
    rikm wrote: »
    I see this is an older thread but I just started looking at this amp, do you still have it, and can you say anything about your time with it?

I run it 6 to 8 hours a day and I am loving it. I check bias once a month and and its rock solid. I tried swapping out pre and power tubes but I did not find much difference with them. I am running the originals currently in the power section and some GE 5654W in the pre section. I mainly listen to Blues, Jazz and singer songwriter stuff.
  • rikm
    Hey Simplyrandom, thanks for the reply and glad to hear you're still happy with it...based in part on your posts, went ahead and ordered it from the same guy in Chicagoland...should be here this week.

And by coincidence also ordered a set of the same signal tubes...had read elsewhere that the stock 6J1's were not impressive, and the NOS GE's had multiple thumbs-up and were cheap enough...

...have also read that the blue glass bottles are mostly well thought of, but there are a lot of EL34-family tubes out there, so may want to play with those options down the road. What was the other power tube you tried? ...kind of like to hear what KT77's would sound like someday...

rikm
  • Simplyrandom
    Simplyrandom Posts: 119
    I have heard mixed things about using the KT77's in these. I tried a set of el34's but to be honest I liked the 6CA7's better. I have not spent a ton of money on vintage 34's but I would run her like it is for a bit before pouring money down the hole. Ray ships pretty quick and the packing is excellent. Good luck and enjoy!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Congrats!

While tube amps do not like tough loads, they also do not like NO loads.

Whatever you do, do not unplug the speakers from a powered "on" tube amp - removing that load from certain amps can damage them....

Some tube amps handle the lack of a load fine... like my FE.

Treat it like a baby... these guys are not built like our SS amps.

But yeah - congrats!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • rikm
    thanks Joey_V

...just got it yesterday afternoon, all good so far...may be too much amp for the office...was thinking it would replace the small EL84 amp that drives the old M7's in there, but having heard it am going to have to try it out on the 707's in the big room...

Those are on chips now, old NAD stuff, and they sound fine, but this thing is great...any thoughts on the relatively low tube power driving the big speakers?

rikm
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    You should be fine on the 707's, you may not get the spl's of a good SS amp, but certainly enough for music listening. Congrats btw....she's a looker.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rikm

thanks tony_b,

...and well they sound great...have to say the amp is pretty amazing for the price, even with the relatively low output power next to the chips, the sonics are seriously well defined.

May have to re-think the old NAD 2200's that run as a bridged pair in the house system, there is plenty of power of course but they sound almost flat next to the tubes... had heard that comment made before WRT the general sound character of some mono-blocs, but didn't credit it before now...can anyone comment on the 'dual mono flatness' thing from experience?

...going to have to move a different chipset into place just to see if a single 2-channel amp sounds more lively...or maybe just reconfigure one of the 2200's back to stereo and test it that way...

• pa7c70II
    pa7c70II Posts: 3
    Newbie here. I just bought the Silk Audio MS-38 thanks to lurking on this forum for awhile. I just wanted to reaffirm what the others are saying. This is a great tube amp for the money. I've got about 15 hours on it so far. Does anybody know what the 8 little red rubber caps that came with the unit are for? They are about the size of valve stem caps.