Legacy Audio Focus Crossover Modification Thread

Comments

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I hope the owner finds a nice way to display them! These should not be hidden.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Thank you gentlemen :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Now, Trey, your are venturing into industrial engineering and packaging design!

You never cease to amaze me! :)

Onward and upward. I can't wait to see your next (ad)venture!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• VR3
    Thanks Phil :tongue:

It wasnt to much of a big deal, I used 6 mil foam and great stuff, let it set about 30-40 minutes then put it out in the sun

Worked liked a champ as I wanted to make sure the inductors would be snug in their transit!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Moose68Bash
    Very wise, Trey.

I recently had to return one of my PS Audio DACs to the factory for warranty service. When they returned it to me, FedEx had apparently dropped the box.

The result: One of the transformers in the DAC broke loose and was moving around inside. I had to ship it back to them for more repairs.

As good as their standard, original packaging is, it can't withstand the shock when dropped. Your packaging ought to prevent that.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• VR3
    I hear you there Phil, I have had experiences similar. I remember when I went to the UPS hub to pick up my SVS cylinder subwoofer and caught a glimpse of a package falling in excess of 15 feet from the conveyor belt...

Oh my! :-D
  • VR3
    The initial response to the modifications is extremely positive but I am awaiting a formal review to post. I will start a different thread with his pics and review so it is not diluted into this one.
  • VR3
    To quote Elon Musk, ""There's so much hope riding on that rocket," "So when it worked — and Dragon worked, the solar arrays deployed and people saw their handiwork in space operating as it should — it was tremendous elation."

Little teaser picture before the review

144a28z8y5mh.jpg

• VR3
    Thank you :)

I am pretty certain he will eventually put matching side panels on them to go with the speakers (which I would do to, only really makes sense
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Trey, that looks Fu&^'n sweet!
    Nice job! The matching sides will bring them to a whole new level. Would his plan still be to have a window into the network or cover them completely?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Man, I want that stand too. Love the finish on the speaks as well.

Trey, you need some kind of fancy logo on the front of that box. Something that designates who did this fine work.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Impressive! Great work Trey. Hope he does a review now and one after 200-300 hours.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • VR3
    Thank you guys for the kind words :) these were a good challenge and I am humbled they have been created :)
  • Moose68Bash
    tonyb wrote: »
    Trey, you need some kind of fancy logo on the front of that box. Something that designates who did this fine work.

Trey, I second that comment! However, I wouldn't go too "fancy" because your work is clean and elegant. Your logo should reflect those characteristics of your work. I actually think, for example, "Version 3 Audio / Monastery Series / 'The Abbot'" on a small, high quality brass plaque would work well (the slashes indicate line breaks). This is, of course, more or less what you do today on the inside.

• tonyb
    Agreed, even if it just said VR3 Audio, like on a magnet so people can decide for themselves if they want to place it on the crossover casing, or the fridge holding up those report cards.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    edited June 2015
    n7rebc6ddig0.jpg
    Thanks guys :smile:

I have contemplated a "Version 3" badge for the front of gear but I am really really picky about this and I would want something extremely high quality, think like CNC plates. The downside is this is very expensive to do on a smaller scale. I could totally "print" one out on my 3D printer and that is some of the things I am working on.

I have slowly been designing a line of cables, this customer enjoyed the cables I included which are kind of a prototype of a Monastery line of cables :smile:
  • VR3
    edited June 2015
    lqbafupdupsy.jpg
    The slant I incorporated into the design is similar to the speaker and he is going to put matching wood side panels on the sides :)

Thank you :)
  • tonyb
    I don't think I ever saw a big floorstander tilted in the front like that. To each his own though. The Focus speakers are pretty big, it just looks funky.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    I did this to my super towers due to the height of the tweeter. If your tweeter it's above ear level, you are missing out
  • tonyb
    VR3 wrote: »
    I did this to my super towers due to the height of the tweeter. If your tweeter it's above ear level, you are missing out

Yeah, I know why he did it, just never really seen anyone actually do it with floorstanders. I never was one that subscribed to the tweeter at ear level thing anyway. Sometimes even sitting on the floor offers a better sound. To each their own though, love the finish on those speaks.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    I'm waiting on pictures but he had the side panels made of COPPER! Should be sweet.
  • As a new Legacy loudspeaker(s) owner, I must admit that the work here looks top notch. I have a brand new set of Legacy Calibres and now I'm wondering how much better they could sound, but then again, I wonder about the factory stuff being very very close to optimum anyways. Hmm.
  • tonyb
    OscarJr wrote: »
    As a new Legacy loudspeaker(s) owner, I must admit that the work here looks top notch. I have a brand new set of Legacy Calibres and now I'm wondering how much better they could sound, but then again, I wonder about the factory stuff being very very close to optimum anyways. Hmm.

Welcome to the forum and the Legacy's. Have the Focus 20/20's myself and they aren't going anywhere soon.

VR3/Trey is a master at custom crossovers though his top work doesn't come cheap. He uses only the best and his workmanship is awesome. Maybe something to explore as you get used to the speakers sound. Before diving in to upgraded crossovers, you want to make sure the rest of the system is up to snuff also as everything in the chain will influence the sound you hear.

How you liking those Calibres so far ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    Another Focus 20/20 owner here, and of all my speakers, the Legacys keep bringing me back. Getting to the crossovers for a "working man's" (read "limited budget") makeover is on my list for this coming winter.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• tonyb
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Another Focus 20/20 owner here, and of all my speakers, the Legacys keep bringing me back. Getting to the crossovers for a "working man's" (read "limited budget") makeover is on my list for this coming winter.

Talk to Trey, he knows what he's doing but not sure if he's doing the small stuff anymore. Never hurts to chat with the man though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I personally cringe at the amount of resistors in those crossovers. I would imagine that while the sound is refined and pleasing, the difference in the crossover upgrade would not be as substantial as his original Tyler's.

Trey, do you know what ohm rating these are?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • OscarJr
    OscarJr Posts: 2
    edited October 2017
    tonyb wrote: »
    OscarJr wrote: »
    As a new Legacy loudspeaker(s) owner, I must admit that the work here looks top notch. I have a brand new set of Legacy Calibres and now I'm wondering how much better they could sound, but then again, I wonder about the factory stuff being very very close to optimum anyways. Hmm.

Welcome to the forum and the Legacy's. Have the Focus 20/20's myself and they aren't going anywhere soon.

VR3/Trey is a master at custom crossovers though his top work doesn't come cheap. He uses only the best and his workmanship is awesome. Maybe something to explore as you get used to the speakers sound. Before diving in to upgraded crossovers, you want to make sure the rest of the system is up to snuff also as everything in the chain will influence the sound you hear.

How you liking those Calibres so far ?

The Calibres sound freakin awesome. I only use them for music and there's nothing they can't handle. I don't listen to elevator music either. Right now I'm listening to some Napalm Death. :)

uc?export=view&id=0B1gKnCRgylLcOUtjdG81NklXWVU

Signal chain goes as follows:

All electronics protected via Furman M-80X power distribution.

Computer wav files via JRiver Media Center USB digital out->
    Resonessence Labs Concero HD DAC ->
    Behringer UltraGain Pro vacuum tube pre-amp ->
    dbx DriveRack PA+ DSP ->
    Peavey CS800X (400W RMS per channel @ 4 ohms)->
    8 gauge speaker wire with Nakamichi locking banana plugs->
    Legacy Calibres

uc?export=view&id=0B1gKnCRgylLcTm9nQmlwYkJPN3M

I have a very similar setup in my office (minus the 8 awg speaker wires) with Legacy Audio Studio HDs:

uc?export=view&id=0B1gKnCRgylLcYlZxS0JMYWpQbDQ

The Calibres are going to my office very soon as I spend more time there than at home, lol.

After some parametric EQ on the DSP, this is how the frequency response of the Calibre's looks like after compensating for dastardly room modes/cancellations and what not:

uc?export=view&id=0B1gKnCRgylLcUERWWk1oakxyeDQ

• VR3
    Ahhhhh good times bump
  • VR3/Trey glad you bumped. I had not seen this thread. Outstanding!!!

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    VR3 wrote: »
    Ahhhhh good times bump

Trey, I wish you would not have bumped this today! Going to have me thinking all day.

We should discuss what you learned in this build and how we could improve it for my pair of Focus S/E's. How long would my system be down if we do a build? What mods would I need to perform myself? How much do I need to tell my CFO I need?

Lets discuss soon.....

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables