Anyone into Lifting , Pre work out post work out drinks?

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,056
hello all,
My son has been lifting consistently for over 3 years now and kinda got me back into lifting.
He's been doing a lot of research on pre workout drinks and post recovery shakes.
Right now we are using the Labrada line which in both our opinion are the very best ones we have used so far. He has tried way more then I have but I get the best results from the PE1 pre workout and then using a meal replacement shake after the workout.

Anyone have any opinions on the Labrada line?
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,531
    Options
    @mantis

Let me talk to my brother. Hes got a Masters in Physical Fitness and currently works for a small company out in Connecticut called Sherpa that specializes in creating workout routines for their clients on top of being a gym. They are apparently a big deal out that way, but personally never heard of them as they are a small company right now.

My bro I'm sure will have some thoughts I will post once I get them.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mantis
    Options
    Thanks man
    Dan
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Not familiar with that line. Also, I'm much older than either of you, lol. But I do still lift. Don't do pre-workouts as they are mostly hyped caffeine with maybe some other ingredients like BCAAs. And I guess some have creatine-don't touch that either, have to watch the kidneys as you age!

I was in the gym yesterday. Pre-workout? A hearty breakfast, two-three eggs, some sausage, whole wheat toast, potatoes and a couple of cups or so of coffee and some juice. I don't eat that way very often. But I find some food and coffee and OJ should do you. Besides, it's been shown that the effects of "pre-workout" products diminish over time so that you have to cycle on and off them. I say why bother!

As for post workout, sure, a protein shake with some low fat milk and a banana thrown in does the job. MTS products are pretty good. There are others too.

Enjoy, your workouts. I may eventually have to stop mine. These joints and tendons are not going to last forever! lol
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    Back in the day, a nice big cold beer was the reward after a good workout.
    Guess, the times they are a changin'.

Probably why your ears don't work quite like they used to.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,531
    Options
    @mantis

I'm going to post what my brother said verbatim...

Honestly, a lot of that stuff is crap. You can get most of it from eggs and such. I have buddies who swear by pre-workout stuff (it's usually just a bunch of caffeine with a picture of some hulky guy on it and overpriced).

If he's looking to get buff, I'd say hit the gym HARD, and eat a lot of eggs and peanut butter throughout the day. Eat a lot of protein and lift heavy! (Most of the protein shakes are extremely overpriced, and seriously, 3 eggs can give you basically the same affect.)

So I'd advice him to skip the pre and post-workout stuff honestly, and just lift, lift, lift. And if he's trying to bulk, eat a lot. You have to eat big to get big.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,445
    edited June 2015
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    I was in the gym yesterday. Pre-workout? A hearty breakfast, two-three eggs, some sausage, whole wheat toast, potatoes and a couple of cups or so of coffee and some juice.
    LOL, holy crap, man! I feel a food coma coming on just reading that!
    do love a good breakfast like this, though, and a big believer in starting the day with a solid breakfast.
    Honestly, a lot of that stuff is crap. You can get most of it from eggs and such. I have buddies who swear by pre-workout stuff (it's usually just a bunch of caffeine with a picture of some hulky guy on it and overpriced).
    haha, brother's funny
    If he's looking to get buff, I'd say hit the gym HARD, and eat a lot of eggs and peanut butter throughout the day. Eat a lot of protein and lift heavy! (Most of the protein shakes are extremely overpriced, and seriously, 3 eggs can give you basically the same affect.)

So I'd advice him to skip the pre and post-workout stuff honestly, and just lift, lift, lift. And if he's trying to bulk, eat a lot. You have to eat big to get big.
    I found I had the best results with real food, too. not to say supplement stuff isn't a big part of my on-the-go diet; better than not eating at all, but food does seem to work best?

I tried a diet years ago called anabolic burst cycling, which is basically two week cycles of feast or famine. for my goals it was supposed to be 5000 calories a day for two weeks, then (iirc) 1200? calories a day for two weeks. I did great on the 5000 part, even though it was actually difficult to get those calories in. But I only lasted 3 days on the 1200 part, because it was low/no carb, and I was still supposed to be working out, albeit lightly and intense cardio. I was in school at the time and found that I just couldn't maintain focus. I'd never felt so spaced out in all my life! and I was starving. literally. just dying for some bread.

BUT, the weight I put on in those two weeks of eating almost twice my regular caloric intake - I couldn't get over it. I'd struggled for years to put on any weight at all. that was close to 20 years ago. still haven't burned it off, hehe :) so yeah, +1 on eating real food.

I'm a fan of the Muscle Milk product when food's not handy.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • mantis
    Options
    Thanks guys
    Dan
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    My son Zach , worked at GNC before going into the Marines and placed 2nd and 3 rd in a couple of bodybuilding competitions before he left to Parris Island. Boy was cut up like a pro at 17 years old. All natural products are available at that store and he was using a pre work out powder, but now he's mainly just eating right and says that he feels better with a sensible diet and hard focused work outs at the gym. Hope that helps??
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • mantis
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks again for the comments , keep em coming.
    We just got back from the gym and we both used the PE1 from Labrada Nutrition. Then we used a Meal replacement shake after the workout. I always feel pumped , clean and steady energy using this method. It's the only supplements we take.
    I'm considering taking a well rounded multi vitamin along with some powered greens here and there maybe a few times a week.
    I only workout 3 to 5 times a week so thats it for the drinks.

I completely changed my diet as I eat 5 to 6 times a day small meal every 3 hours. Protein complex carbs and fiber at each meal around 350-500 cal per. I feel much better and I'm trading muscle for fat. My body weight went down 10 lbs since I started all this and I have maintained the same weight for months now with the added weight training.
    I do cardio 3 to 5 times a week 15-30 mins after weight training when I'm beat so it's very hard to get the cardio done. I'm out of energy afterwards.
    Dan
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    edited June 2015
    Options
    When i was lifting i would eat alot of tuna-yogurt-meats.
    Randy/Maine
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Options
    Sounds silly but chocolate milk for the win. Give it a Google.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    My nephew is a college student and somewhat of a gym rat. He and his workout pals use a pre-workout supplement, made by "Mr. Hyde", that I wouldn't recommend to anyone. It has about 400mg of caffeine per serving!! That's equivalent to the amount found in over seven cans of Mountain Dew! Talk about jitters, heart palpitations and rhythm irregularities...I can't believe there haven't been multiple reports of sudden death from using/misusing this product.
  • msg
    Options
    this forum needs a "holycrap!" button
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Dan,
    Tell the Labrada people to leave the sugar out of their products, kinda defeats the purpose. Where they don't use sugar, they use a form of Splenda, a sugar substitute that has received some not so stellar studies on health.

I would second the motion of eating healthier whole foods instead of shakes and powders. My nephew spent a week in the hospital from that Muscle Milk garbage.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    For about 15 years (1969-1984), when I was running up to 60 miles per week and doing various training routines along with the aerobics, I drank Adelle Davis's "Pep Up" after I completed my workout each day. I started my routine between 5:00 and 5:30AM six days per week.

Here's a link to the recipe:

http://www.adelledavis.org/adelle-davis-recipes/adelle-davis-pep-up-recipe/
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    ^^^^
    WTG Moose! I use to do a mile evey tuesday & thursady and It keep getting to be a faster mile, as I worked out M-W-F days, but they cancled 3rd shift and I put on30 pounds :/
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • msg
    edited June 2015
    Options
    n/a

I disabled signatures.
  • mantis
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    When i was lifting i would eat alot of tuna-yogurt-meats.
    Actually one of my Lunch sandwiches is exactly that. I use 100% whole wheat bread toasted , Then 100% Albacore Tuna with Greek Yogart instead of Mayo. I throw in some Cranberries and top it off with baby Spinach. It's a powerful sandwich which I have with a piece of fruit like an apple or banana. Thats a lunch meal.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    My nephew is a college student and somewhat of a gym rat. He and his workout pals use a pre-workout supplement, made by "Mr. Hyde", that I wouldn't recommend to anyone. It has about 400mg of caffeine per serving!! That's equivalent to the amount found in over seven cans of Mountain Dew! Talk about jitters, heart palpitations and rhythm irregularities...I can't believe there haven't been multiple reports of sudden death from using/misusing this product.
    yeah we tried both Hyde and Jekyll and neither of them make you feel right. You get the jitters and weird sensations in the back of your head and neck. You wanna lift the entire gym but there is a drop off at the end. Which is why we seemed another product.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Dan,
    Tell the Labrada people to leave the sugar out of their products, kinda defeats the purpose. Where they don't use sugar, they use a form of Splenda, a sugar substitute that has received some not so stellar studies on health.

I would second the motion of eating healthier whole foods instead of shakes and powders. My nephew spent a week in the hospital from that Muscle Milk garbage.

Muscle Milk had the highest Lead content out of any one of them and the reason is they switched to a over seas supplier for a cheaper more profitable mix. They paid for it doing so.
    Sorry to hear he got sick off of it. Shame.
    The Labrada products so far from what I have learned are the best overall out there. Lee is one of the very best Body Builders of all time and runs the company with Integrity. He stands behind all of he stuff and says whats on the label is in the bottle no matter what.
    Sugar isn't bad for you in small quantities and is really good right after a work out. You body runs on it and so does your brain. Most people abuse it just like Splenda. Splenda is fine for you also in small quantities but not in the amount most will use these things.
    I'm trying to cut my sugar intake to 40-60 grams per day spread out evenly as possible. It's amazingly hard to do dude.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    For about 15 years (1969-1984), when I was running up to 60 miles per week and doing various training routines along with the aerobics, I drank Adelle Davis's "Pep Up" after I completed my workout each day. I started my routine between 5:00 and 5:30AM six days per week.

Here's a link to the recipe:

http://www.adelledavis.org/adelle-davis-recipes/adelle-davis-pep-up-recipe/
    Thanks for the link , I'll have to go check them out.
    Dan
  • boston1450
    Options
    When i first started lifting i was 175lbs @ 5'8 in the begining i remember the day i benched 140 & i about died. Worked hard. Withing 2+ years i was 260lbs & benching 475lbs. Keep with a schedule & you will see advancement. If you rip something take a couple weeks off & you will come back & feel much better
    Randy/Maine
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Moose, isn't that the old Tigers milk recipe ? I sorta remember it.....tasting like horse p o o p. lol

Anyway, just remember to get your daily dose of good wholesome vitamins and minerals and don't swallow excesses of any particular to the extreme. Extreme doses work in reverse of the intended outcome.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • msg
    edited June 2015
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    When i first started lifting i was 175lbs @ 5'8 in the begining i remember the day i benched 140 & i about died. Worked hard. Within 2+ years i was 260lbs & benching 475lbs. Keep with a schedule & you will see advancement. If you rip something take a couple weeks off & you will come back & feel much better
    holy crap man, those are pretty insane gains!
    I think I found your before/after photos

oyp3m693ere4.png

I disabled signatures.
  • boston1450
    Options
    This is now :smile:7ym2lam779xh.jpg
    Randy/Maine
  • msg
    Options
    LOL
    I'm trying to get back into it too, but I know I won't get anywhere near where I was before. my goals have changed though. I do it more for the health/fitness/well-being aspects now.
    I disabled signatures.
  • boston1450
    Options
    ^^^^ that is where i am now especially at 51 y/o. When i took time away i noticed i was getting sluggish & i started back up & i feel much better. Nowhere near what i use to be. Went from 5 days to 2days a week now
    Randy/Maine
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Moose, isn't that the old Tigers milk recipe ? I sorta remember it.....tasting like horse p o o p. lol

I'm laughing with you on that one! It did take a bit of getting used to. It was the brewer's yeast that gave it that -- well, shall we say -- distinctive taste! :)

I just reread the recipe. It seems the version that is on-line leaves out acidophilus, which I remember adding in liquid form to each "brew." I don't remember how much.

Cheers! Over the lips and thought the gums, look out tummy, here it comes!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Removed
    Post edited by jeremymarcinko on
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I would stay far away from the stimulant based pre-workouts. You don't need them at all. A small cup of black coffee works all the same. If you want the "pump" effect of the pre-workouts then also supplement with l-arginine. I used to use the pre's all of the time, before every workout, for at least two years. I liked them so much I also began using them on my rest days just for an afternoon pick me up. All was good, until it wasn't, and I wound up in the ER. I was just trying out a sample of a new pre called 1MR vortex, and something in that "proprietary blend" messed me all up. I was dizzy, confused, breaking out in sweats, and then freezing cold. This cycle continued for about 6 hours after being monitored in the ER. I was completely out of it, for a while. Later on after I came back around, the nurse asked me to confirm my family doctors name because they couldn't find him in the directory, turns out I told them his name was Mitchell Shwartz, who was the right tackle of the Cleveland Browns.

Long Story short, the pre-workouts do make you feel great, but they do not really offer anything in the way of gains. The attraction to them becomes more about the high you get, which may lead to a more effective workout, but also maybe not. There is obviously risk with them because, the proprietary blends of stimulants effects everyone different and not all ingredients are listed. You are rolling the dice with them. Don't think for a second that if comes from a nutrition store its good for you or safe to ingest.

I haven't taken a pre in over a year and my gains have still been consistent. Keep in mind there is no shortcut to building muscle, outside of steroids. A natural bodybuilder in his twenties to thirties is only likely to gain 3-6 pounds of muscle a year MAX. It takes time, if you can gain three pounds of lean muscle a year over the course of ten years, or will be a very big guy. It really takes that long. Adding more weight than that will only add fat to your size. Also you need to learn how to cycle your bulking and cutting. You CAN NOT build muscle and lose fat at the same time. To grow you have to eat, and to lose fat you have to cut calories. There are many great bulking and cutting meal plans out there, I would suggest looking at some of those, so that you can maximize gains while not adding a lot of fat and then cut to maximize fat loss while minimizing atrophy. Natural Bodybuilding is a balancing act of being in anabolic and catabolic states. Take your time, don't get injured by trying to do to much. Its a lot harder to make gains when you cant lift due to injury. There are many good videos on you tube that offer some of the best bodybuilding advice there is, check out,

One of my favorites is "Scooby1961" on youtube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1f0z5sGKDM&list=PL662508FFD2BB30CD&index=2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdFhEhglfgE

Post edited by jeremymarcinko on
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant