This is wonderful...Naners wont seat with bare wire jumpers. I cant go on lol

I am not liking this one bit. I have ten speakers to do. Bare wire in the holes do not allow my cheap nanners to seat all the way! I need some crimp spade terminals that will make it worthwhile to redo all of the jumper bars. Does anyone have any suggestions that would be worthwhile? This sucks, it was supposed to keep me busy for a few minutes, now I am in a holding pattern. ugh

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Good inexpensive ring terminals?
  • afterburnt
    I do have a hammer and my speaker aint all that spensive lol
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited May 2015
    Two words, Benjamin.

clip leads

aligator-clip-leads-web.jpg

;- )
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,708
    edited May 2015
    Don't put the wires through the holes? Put the jumper plates back on and move on with life? It won't make a difference anyways.
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,497
    umi50np559wf.jpg

If it can be easily done remove the banana plug and simply do this. Connect the speaker and jumper wire together. The remaining bare lead will go in with no
    troubles.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • afterburnt
    I figure those terminals are made out of the same material as the plates. Doesn't seem like much uses to put nice copper in between them.
  • afterburnt
    edited May 2015
    pumpkinman wrote: »
    umi50np559wf.jpg

If it can be easily done remove the banana plug and simply do this. Connect the speaker and jumper wire together. The remaining bare lead will go in with no
    troubles.

P-Man 2 hunks of 12 ga wont fit. I wonder if I should try to run the jumper in on one side only leaving the hole for the nanner open (not the most secure connection), or is this another dumb idea? Hate to just abandon the project I have all the jumpers cut, striped and treated with deoxit.
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    The easy solution here is to not use bare wire. Using terminations definitely does not defeat the purpose. This is why nearly every decent speaker cable on the market has terminations. There are very sound reasons behind terminating a cable.

I always use spades on my jumpers, and bananas on my speaker cables.

Honestly though, you're doing this with Monitor series speakers, some of which are used as presence speakers and surround speakers. The odds of you actually noticing any difference in your presence speakers after replacing the jumpers is very small. I think the merits of replacing jumpers pretty much end with 2 channel. Personally I'd just leave the jumper plates in place, but that's me.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • afterburnt
    curt I figure it is only a few bucks to try and wring a little more out of these speakers so why not? Besides it will keep me off the streets for a few minutes lol.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Ah...First World problems. Easy fix :)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    kevintomb wrote: »
    Use the jumper plates. That is what they are for.
    You are over complicating something that is not complicated.

So you mean you would prefer to use cheap nickel and brass to transfer your audio signal ?

Why use copper speaker cables then, cheap metals would work just as good, no ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pumpkinman
    tonyb wrote: »
    kevintomb wrote: »
    Use the jumper plates. That is what they are for.
    You are over complicating something that is not complicated.

So you mean you would prefer to use cheap nickel and brass to transfer your audio signal ?

Why use copper speaker cables then, cheap metals would work just as good, no ?

Afterburnt go with the jumper wires

hnhu8v4c3qtx.jpg

Not exactly all that costly plus you might enjoy a little DIY

lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• afterburnt
    P-Man I just finished making all of the jumpers, just have to hook em up.
  • pumpkinman
    afterburnt wrote: »
    P-Man I just finished making all of the jumpers, just have to hook em up.

u3ej4g27dp86.gif

Cool that's worth a dancing Pumpkinman

lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    It is all about the resistance to the terminals, that's it thats all.

Wrong again.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• afterburnt
    Time to find the multi meter
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    buy spades, use them for the jumpers and then your Banana jacks will work just fine
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • afterburnt
    Mantits that is what I did but with some less expensive spades.
  • F1nut
    So what is it?

The type of metal, even the geometry affects the sound.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    X, you continue to demonstrate your lack of knowledge and personal experience. Speaking from my personal experience, jumpers matter. In fact, everything matters.
    A speaker manufacturer spends significant effort in research and design of a speaker to optimize the components.

To a price point.
    Do you think that they would penny pinch on the jumper plates at the last minute to hurt this design?

Penny pinching is exactly why plates are used instead of copper wire. You do realize that Polk uses copper wire jumpers in the flagship LSiM series, right?

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    They are adequate, but removable for the tweakers who think they can improve the sound - just like someone else in this forum who put a bag of charcoal on the speaker to improve it's sound, without opposition from F1 and the rest of the crowd

You are assuming that I read that post, I had not. Now that I have I can comment on it. While not something that I want to try I can see Skip's point on reduced vibrations and if you had an open mind, you could too.

President of Club Polk

• afterburnt
    Damn! Never thought I would need charcoal. Anyway I guess i should measure the resistance across the plates while I am down on the floor. I suppose if it the same as the plates i have a lot of extra jumpers?
  • F1nut
    F1 you demonstrate why your anecdotal experience and that of your acolytes is all too often a poor substitute for proper electrical engineering knowledge. I suspect it is largely because, as a cable marketer, you constantly promote your favorite cable brand and continue with the cable myths with some truth sprinkled in just to maintain some degree of credibility. It is a time honored technique of snake oil salesmen.

Not only are you wrong about all things cable related, you are wrong that I am a cable marketer. I have no affilation with any audio company. I took over the MIT cable demo program from Ricardo, who used his own cables the first time because he wanted others to be able to try high end cables for next to nothing. I did it for the same reason. I noticed you never signed up, which is a shame as it may have been an enlightening experience as it was for many of the people who did. However, if you want to live in the dark that is your choice, but you need to stop trolling this forum with your uninformed opinions.

Your attempt to insult me by implying that I'm a snake oil salesmen is laughable, but typical of someone with zero credibility. Something you have yet to realize about this forum, it is about open minded people who want to improve their musical enjoyment and not closed minded folks that settle for average like you. I suggest you find another forum with like minded average folks. You'll be much happier there and we'll be happy to see you go.

President of Club Polk

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    F1nut wrote: »
    F1 you demonstrate why your anecdotal experience and that of your acolytes is all too often a poor substitute for proper electrical engineering knowledge. I suspect it is largely because, as a cable marketer, you constantly promote your favorite cable brand and continue with the cable myths with some truth sprinkled in just to maintain some degree of credibility. It is a time honored technique of snake oil salesmen.

Not only are you wrong about all things cable related, you are wrong that I am a cable marketer. I have no affilation with any audio company. I took over the MIT cable demo program from Ricardo, who used his own cables the first time because he wanted others to be able to try high end cables for next to nothing. I did it for the same reason. I noticed you never signed up, which is a shame as it may have been an enlightening experience as it was for many of the people who did. However, if you want to live in the dark that is your choice, but you need to stop trolling this forum with your uninformed opinions.

Your attempt to insult me by implying that I'm a snake oil salesmen is laughable, but typical of someone with zero credibility. Something you have yet to realize about this forum, it is about open minded people who want to improve their musical enjoyment and not closed minded folks that settle for average like you. I suggest you find another forum with like minded average folks. You'll be much happier there and we'll be happy to see you go.

Yep. o:)
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • afterburnt
    I need a new hoby
  • F1nut
    edited May 2015
    That's a "vendor" that doesn't know the product he's selling. There's a lot more to those cables than what's in the boxes. You should go back and ask him to open a pair of high end speakers to see what caps and resistors they use. When he sees what's in there tell him you think he should close his business as he won't be able to honestly sell them to his customers either.

I wasn't objecting to your attempt to insult me. I mearly pointed out that it comes from someone with zero credibility. Your reading comprehension needs serious work.

President of Club Polk