Longer Speaker Cable or RCA: Which is Better?

Options
13»

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    "Day and night" and "huge improvement" are certainly over-used in this hobby, unless one is moving from a transistor AM radio to an AVR. Not everyone is qualified to do a good review of equipment, so you have to take these comments in the proper context.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Night and day in audio means a noticeable difference, might be small, medium or large, just that it's noticeable.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,713
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Night and day in audio means a noticeable difference, might be small, medium or large, just that it's noticeable.

So it's a completely meaningless term. Got it.

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • F1nut
    Options
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    So it's a completely meaningless term. Got it.

Only to you.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited May 2015
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

That's exactly what my thoughts were. After all, just as in dawn and dusk, there are varying degrees of night turning to day, and day turning to night, correct? It doesn't all of a sudden go from daytime to nighttime instantly; that is, there are varying degrees of day turning to night, and night turning to day. It is/are these varying degrees that determine the small, medium, or large noticable differences.

Of course, it depends upon the audio aspects (typically based upon the piece of gear in question) in question that determine how mach variation will be evident in what the listener hears.

@WilliamM2, it's only meaningless if you cannot hear the difference. Otherwise, the term has substantial meaning to those that can hear a difference.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Man, cable debates are bad enough, now we have to debate the meanings of words and phrases ? Does anyone just say wtf they mean anymore.....and does anyone understand simple words anymore ? Sheesh.....talk about splitting hairs.....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    You guys are night and day in your hearing abilities. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    I dunno, I've had some morning and afternoon differences in Beer....just sayin...

Fixed that for ya pal.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It's a self-fixing dilemma if you have enough audio experience. I know if someone says their $600 DAC is a "HUGE IMPROVEMENT" over their $400 DAC, they are either full of sht, just overly excited, or have a broken $400 DAC. I have compared $120 CD players to $1800 DAC's and indeed heard "significant" improvements---they weren't "huge" by any stretch of the imagination. Again, context, experience, and the author of the review all need to be taken into account.

Having said all that, I believe speakers may qualify for the "huge improvement" observation; but not much else when speaking in relative terms.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    kevintomb wrote: »
    So when I read about the DB840 woofer change in the Lsi15 for instance ((which I happen to own a pair)) I see descriptions ranging from ....

Barely sure is was different at all.....
    a very small differerence......
    It was far better sounding......
    A day and night difference.......
    I described the change in the db upgrade as "subtly significant." And I think that can describe a lot of changes we're talking about here. It's not something that my wife will notice, but its significant to my ears and increases my enjoyment level.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    58a.jpg
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    ...a little subtle this and little subtle that, it can all add up to a dream system
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    ...a little subtle this and little subtle that, it can all add up to a dream system

Amen! That's part of what makes this such a fun hobby. I've made mostly subtle improvements to my system over the past 5-6 years and I've enjoyed the thrill of each improvement. Few, if any, of my changes were jaw dropping, but to compare the system I have now to the one I had 6 years ago would be no contest.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    When my cables are a little short, I use a cable stretcher.

Poole%20Wire%20Stretcher.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • tonyb
    Options

Bingo....add them up and you could have a totally different system on your hands. Audio is so personal to each of us, it's more of a journey than just plopping down a set of speakers and hooking up any xyz receiver.

Only by way of personal exploration can you arrive at those "ah ha " moments. When you stick your hand in your pants and only count one instead of 2.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    Options

Absolutely, good point.
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    Rich, I have this high end cable stretcher that's extremely effective. ;)

gsvu8x608hv2.jpg

Damn, your cable stretcher is much better than mine!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • steveinaz
    Options
    Back on topic; this is really a question of potential interference---not cable differences. It's much better to have shorter low-level signal cables, which are more prone to interference. So I would opt for longer speaker cables, shorter IC's.
  • SCompRacer
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'll repeat my actual experience with long RCA IC's. They were in close proximity to one 20 amp power cable run from wall on right to the two amps in center between speakers. Pre amp was single ended ModWright SWLP 9.0SE pre amp.

Longer speaker cables would not be a solution in my old setup. IF I put the gear between speakers on that south wall, digital or vinyl wouldn't sound good due to the bass loading that occurred when speakers are boxed by corners. Talk about vibes, bad vibrations. Gear, except for amps, had to be on west wall. I could not play anything above 75dB with gear between speakers on that south wall. Had tube CD/SACD player, tube pre amp with tube phono.

"If you want advice based on actual experience, long RCA's works just fine. I used shielded coax, stranded center conductor for flexibility. They are 18 or 20 feet long and still in use connected to R and L subs as I have since went balanced to amp with different gear.

The system was dead quiet and as dynamic as shorter RCA's. Period. "

I can supply names of folks that heard this setup. Jay (agfrost) Doug (DKG999) Aaron (ALL212) to name three.

room_3.jpg
  • F1nut
    Options
    ^ Listen to the man, he knows what he's talking about. ^

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    Options
    I've never had a problem with long runs of either. I think as long as you buy a halfway decent cable, it isn't going to matter much unless we are talking the extreme in distances. Most decent cables are pretty good at noise rejection these days, it's the cheap stuff that I'd worry about.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's