Need Help Matching Surrounds to RT16, CS350

Options
arnoldz
arnoldz Posts: 6
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
I have RT 16s as RF and LF. A CS350 is the center channel spkr. I use some older RTa8 towers as the back surrounds. I want to add side surrounds and am considering the f/x500i or the f/xi50 since brandnamez is out of stock on the f/x500is. Which of these speakers will best match my setup?

Any real difference between the f/x500i and the f/xi50?

Finally, what would I give up if I order the f/x300i speakers instead? Will they keep up with the rest of my setup or will it not matter since they are side surrounds.
Post edited by arnoldz on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited April 2002
    Options
    The correct speaker would be the ls/fx.Ebay and Audiogon.com.But you could try both new pair's and see how they blend, bi poles are great for side placement.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • vtec11
    vtec11 Posts: 82
    edited April 2002
    Options
    i too have the same setup. RT16 up front along with a cs350lS. I am using a pair of FX500, they have the same tweeter as the other 3 speakers and sound great with this setup.
  • yoeddy
    yoeddy Posts: 140
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I am also using RT16's with a CS350 LS. I had rtf/x surrounds, then went to LSf/x surrounds. The drivers were just not enough on the bottom end, therefore I purchased some RT12's for my surrounds. Ordered some tri lam tweets for the RT12's and pushing this with my Parasound AVC2500 Pre/Pro and Parasound AT2205 220WPC x 5 amp really makes em sing!!! Dunno if I will replace my speakers for a long time...:)
  • arnoldz
    arnoldz Posts: 6
    edited April 2002
    Options
    So, do you think that I should go with the f/x500i because the trilam tweeter matches the RT16s. I know in theory they should match. However, my current back surrounds are 13 year old RTa8 towers set about 36" off the floor about 8 feet behind the sofa. They are not an exact match for the RT16s but sound very good for movies. I need to patch the hole between the front and rears and that is why I am looking at the f/x surround models. Just don't know if I should go the extra expense of the f/x500i given my current setup. The f/x300i may fill the bill. What do you guys think?
  • vtec11
    vtec11 Posts: 82
    edited April 2002
    Options
    see if u can find a pair of FX500 (not "i"), they don't have the blue cones which should match with you 16's very well. Look on ebay or something, maybe u can find a set used.