Hello everyone just wondering if anyone would have a good set of crossovers for sale for Sda1c1989yr

Options
And yes I'm a newbie at all this. I just want to get my SDA 1c's back up to snuff. Need good crossovers. Or mine rebuilt.Ive purchased all new drivers through Polk for them. But the crossovers got damaged in shipping. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Larry

Best Answers

• quickr1
    quickr1 Posts: 414
    Answer ✓
    Options
    if you cannot find any stock crossovers you could try one of the members here named trey. he modifies crossovers. check out his site its: vr3mods.com
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Answer ✓
    Options
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2117667#Comment_2117667

Trey can definitely cherry them out...see link above
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I would talk to trey (VR3) at vr3mods.com first before I did anything.

BTW: What kind of damage was done, can you post any pictures.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • txcoastal1
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hey by the way #1 rule at Club Polk is you have to post pics ;):)
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• gimpod
    Answer ✓
    Options
    There most likely not broke (mine showed up the same way) the plastic stand offs just broke you can get replacements at mouser. You just need to replace the stand-offs and plug the inductor back in (It doesn't make any difference which wire go's to which lug on the inductor). This should get you in the ball park http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Eagle-Plastic-Devices/561-LT500
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • gimpod
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Did you get the interlink cable with the speakers without it the two outside drivers in each cabinet will only work in the 50 - 150hz range also with those frozen drivers it makes it kinda hard to figure out what's going on especially if you don't have that cable.
  • gimpod
    Answer ✓
    Options
    8 new drivers, Seeing how you plan on keeping these forever time to start saving for the RDO-194 tweeters (only 4 of them) and the crossover upgrade, You can get Trey at vr3mods.com to do them for you or if your up to doing them yourself check out gimpod.com
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Answer ✓
    Options
    gimpod wrote: »
    8 new drivers, Seeing how you plan on keeping these forever time to start saving for the RDO-194 tweeters (only 4 of them) and the crossover upgrade, You can get Trey at vr3mods.com to do them for you or if your up to doing them yourself check out gimpod.com

The RD0194s are a drop-in replacement, and they are not too expensive. Worth doing while you save up for a full mod of the crossovers, new SDA inductors, and a Dreadnought!

Like many others on the forum, I can testify to the phenomenal improvements mods make in the 1Cs. They are a great speaker that can easily hold their own against contemporary speakers when they are fully mod'd.

Welcome to the rabbit hole! B)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Moose68Bash
    Answer ✓
    Options
    apples60 wrote: »
    Thanks Gimpod for all the advice. And as for the dreadnought.Ive got three. One Martain D28 a Takamine EG530SC and an old Yamaha. Hence this is probably why I've never had a quality set of tunes at home.

apples60,

I think you have misunderstood the meaning of "dreadnought" as it is used on the Polk Forum. It is the name for a "box" containing a toroidal transformer in the SDA interconnect circuit originally to allow the use of non-common ground amplifiers with (some) SDA speakers.

Many of us who have built them have found that, in addition to solving the problem caused by non-common ground amps when used with SDA speakers, the Dreadnought in the SDA curcuit actually improves the sound, whether an amp is common ground or not.

Here are some pictures of one of the three that I have built:

telyl060yy57.jpg

s9nmdzgy21xi.jpg

qxp92ltzcilu.jpg

gi4by1uxf7b9.jpg

Others have fabricated variations of the Dreadnought. Forum member toolfan66 has provided the "boxes" for most Dreadnoughts.

Most toroidal transformers used in them have come from special group orders from Avel-Lindberg. The Avel-Lindberg 1000VA transformer, a special order item of audio grade, seems to be the transformer of choice. (I use two of them.)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

Answers

• apples60
    apples60 Posts: 29
    Options
    Thank you for the information.I spoke with a senior technician at Polk and he said they could rework them. It's just that I didn't know if this was my best course of action.I just purchased these on eBay and they occurred damage while being shipped.i currently have a set of monitor 10a's and a set of SDA Crs with the two tweeters in each cabinet. I've always loved the sound of Polks vintage speakers. Just hope I can get these cherried out.Thanks again Larry
  • apples60
    Options
    ptgsleu689kz.jpg
    x11ibik66e8r.jpg
    ycow8yu4i9ey.jpg
    b9bp49pwgyzr.jpg
    ya2lmnmnhc5c.jpg
    vl5gncajfx8z.jpg
    h9h2vt8c4e99.jpg
    bpkqswiolrwi.jpg
    r4586q5aud62.jpg
    quickr1 wrote: »
    if you cannot find any stock crossovers you could try one of the members here named trey. he modifies crossovers. check out his site its: vr3mods.com

• apples60
    Options
    This is what they looked like inside when Ups dropped them off at my door. No pun intended.
  • apples60
    Options
    the lead wires were literally not attached to the leads.I don't know if it happened in shipping or not. But it appears to me that all the white plastic mounts are broken. The left cabinet had all the remnants in the bottom of the cabinet.While the right one had only a couple of pieces laying in the bottom. Not to say the cabinets weren't upside down during shipping.
  • apples60
    Options
    Thank you for the information.I tried them connected and none of the drivers worked. But when unhooked two drivers in the left speaker worked and only one in the right worked. So my thoughts are there is internal damage to the crossovers.Ill look into getting some new mounts for them. Thanks again.
  • apples60
    Options
    Oh and there is two drivers seized one in each cabinet.I believe these to be original.Ups is coming to look at the boxes and the speakers to complete the shipping claim.The seller is helping me out with part of the damages as well.Just want them sounding as intended.
  • apples60
    Options
    Ya I've got the interconnect cable hooked up.Round pin and flat spade type. Different then my CRS's they have two flat spade one wider than the other.I did a home test on all the drivers. I touched the banana plugs directly to the driver leads. And it appears that sound does come out of them even the frozen ones.I also noticed on a couple of other drivers the magnets are loose not broken off but they move. I've read that the epoxy dries out and the magnets detach from the voice coils.Thats why I just ordered all new drivers from Polk. Four 6510s and four 6511s not cheap but they'll be new.I intend on keeping these forever.
  • Moose68Bash
    Options
    apple60,

I have the stock crossovers from my 1Cs that I can sell to you, if that is the direction you decide to go.

Trey of Vr3 Mods built a new set of 1C crossovers for me two years ago, and these were functioning normally when I "decommissioned" them to install the new ones Trey built.

Stickers on them indicate that they were built in December 1988.

Pictures follow:

x3tlmqq8mict.jpg

yc45s93cife4.jpg

Send me a message, if you are interested.

• apples60
    Options
    Moose68Bash could we talk about this over the phone. If you could pm me at larrynicholsapples60@icloud.com I could give you my number. Thanks Larry
  • Moose68Bash
    edited April 2015
    Options
    apples60 wrote: »
    Moose68Bash could we talk about this over the phone. If you could pm me at larrynicholsapples60@icloud.com I could give you my number. Thanks Larry

Will do.

Rather, have done!

• apples60
    Options
    Thanks Gimpod for all the advice. And as for the dreadnought.Ive got three. One Martain D28 a Takamine EG530SC and an old Yamaha. Hence this is probably why I've never had a quality set of tunes at home.
  • apples60
    Options
    I just want to give a big thank you for all your comments and advice concerning my SDA 1c's. Thanks again Larry
  • apples60
    Options
    Wow I had no idea about what a dreadnought meant in relation to the audio world. This is very interesting does this addition mount external or internal.And how much better is the sound?
  • gimpod
    Options
    Is it just me or did this thread get screwed up and out of order somehow (reply sequence) ?

If so, Nice Forum Software - NOT!
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    gimpod wrote: »
    Is it just me or did this thread get screwed up and out of order somehow (reply sequence) ?

If so, Nice Forum Software - NOT!

I was going to ask same question WTF, confusing the h-ell out me

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    Something to do with the "Answered" function. FUBAR...
  • apples60
    Options
    Ya well the rookie here is certainly confused.But I've always been a little dazed and confused.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    The functionality of the new/improved website is ever-surprising . . .
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12