Parasound preamps

I really like my Parasound amp. For me thus far they have lived up to their reputation and a lot of their gear is in the modest price range so I'm thinking one of their preamps may be our next step over the summere in the 2 channel room. Has anybody used the P5, P3 and the 2100 to offer an opinion of how different they sound from each other using CD and turntable as the source?
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    I run a 2100 with a 2250. Not sure on the difference as I'm only doing Cd's and reel to reel, no vinyl here yet. Both were my first better quality gear and I'm very happy with them. I only wish the 2100 had a volume dial with a light in it. I cut a tiny piece of reflective tape and put on the dial.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    I just got my P5 hooked up to my 1500A and thus far, it is sweet!
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    I used a P3 for about 18 months and then moved to a P5. From my experience the P5 is smoother, more accurate and provides more detail. The P3 was good but the P5 was a step up and it should be for the price difference. The one dislike I had for the P3 was the digital volume control. I never could get a good feel for it.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Just checking out the P5 in the new AA issue that came the other day. :)
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited April 2015
    I have a P5 attached to an A21...Very nice combination... Totally quiet and delivers my SDA's to audio heaven... I am sure I can spend a lot more to equal or marginally improve the sound. The P5 has an ok DAC and Phono Pre and has a nice sub controls as well as a HT bypass. All the inputs and outputs you need as well... The A21 is a steal BTW at it's price point. he phono stage equals or betters any $299- $300 phono stage and eliminates a set of interconnects. My Marantz SA8004 SACD player sounds great and also serves as my DAC in my rig and also is a great bang for the buck... Very solid build quality

The phono stage equals or betters any $299- $300 phono stage and eliminates a set of interconnects. My Marantz SA8004 SACD player sounds great and also serves as my DAC in my rig and also is a great bang for the buck...

I had a 2100 and sold it to buy my P5.. the 2100 is nice in it;s price range but doesn't hang with the P5
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Beta
    Beta Posts: 267
    I've owned the P 3, JC 2 (sold) and now have the P 5. The JC 2 outperforms the P 3 and P 5 by a fairly significant margin.

I recently purchased the P5 to use as a temporary piece while my main preamp is being serviced. I've been running it for about 5 weeks. My initial impression was not favorable, but that changed significantly over time. Either my ears adjusted, or it burned in. I'm really enjoying the P 5 now. I'm running it through a quality tube buffer before going to my amp. I'm usually a proponent of having the shortest signal path possible. However, for me, adding the buffer really had a positive impact. I run a digital source through the P 5's DAC and it sounds quite good to me. I don't do vinyl or CDs, so I can't comment there.

IMHO the P5 is an excellent preamp at it's price point. Given all it has to offer, DAC, phono, HT etc., its really a great value.

My two cents for what they are worth.
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    These are some wonderful, honest reviews guys, looks like the P5 has a lot going for it and it's not priced so high that most polkies can only dream about ever owning one.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    OK, since I'm the OP I give myself permission to hijack this thread...anybody know anything about the LINN Kolektor preamp? I've read where for this to sound decent you need a VERY good source?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.