RTI 12 ?

Options
nadi
nadi Posts: 9
Hi,
I have a denon 1601 and I have an option to get a pair of RTI 12.
will I be able to drive them with my denon ? (they'll be the only speakers connected)
should I be looking for other speakers ?

Thanks in advance !

Comments

• bryantspaint
    Options
    I ran mine with a 30 year old rca intergated amp 120 x 120 it sounded good. I run a carver at 400 x400 and wow it sounds great
  • nadi
    Options
    Thanks ,
    I'm trying to figure out if I should go with them or look for something smaller .
    my living room area isn't big at the moment. but I'd rather buy something for the long run.
  • nadi
    Options
  • nadi
    Options
    they'll perform better overseas right ? :dizzy:
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    Those speakers, when properly powered can fill a Middle School gym. Maybe RTi10 or even 8s?
  • B Run
    B Run Posts: 1,888
    Options
    I clipped a tweeter running Rti8's with a Denon 1910, you'll definitely want more power for the 12's. If you're eventually planning on upgrading your receiver i'd say go ahead and snag the 12's but be careful with the volume in the mean time.
  • nadi
    Options
    B Run wrote: »
    I clipped a tweeter running Rti8's with a Denon 1910, you'll definitely want more power for the 12's. If you're eventually planning on upgrading your receiver i'd say go ahead and snag the 12's but be careful with the volume in the mean time.
    so I can actually damage the speakers with this receiver ? :confused:
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    nadi wrote: »
    B Run wrote: »
    so I can actually damage the speakers with this receiver ? :confused:

Yep....if you don't know what to listen for or have tendencies to crank on the volume dial. With that receiver, I wouldn't go higher than the RTIA 7's....and even that is borderline.

Problem is....your looking at too much speaker for that receiver's power. Unfortunately that receiver doesn't have preouts to add an amplifier either. So your left with 2 choices as I see it. Buy a lessor speaker to match up with the receivers power or buy a receiver that has preouts and buy an amplifier to accommodate larger speakers....a more costly proposition.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nadi
    Options
    getting a receiver is not out of question but not at the moment.
    even if I get a cheaper pair of speakers.
    right now the Rti 12 on the polk ebay ~800, I can afford that but throwing in another receiver would be too much with Israeli prices.
    I was just hoping I could get away with it and get the receiver upgrade later on .
    maybe I'm too greedy and should settle for a cheaper pair .
  • scotvl
    scotvl Posts: 88
    Options
    This may sound crazy but if you have a sub and you really want the rti12s, you could wire your receiver only the upper binding posts until you can afford a receiver with pre outs and an amp. I know this might sound crazy but you would be surprised how much of the bass comes from those upper mid range drivers. Unorthodox I know but when I tried my A9s with only the top binding posts connected I was amazed how much if the sound comes from those upper drivers. You could look for some rti8s that your receiver could power but I think they would sound pretty much like the 12s without the woofers connected.
  • nadi
    Options
    scotvl wrote: »
    This may sound crazy but if you have a sub and you really want the rti12s, you could wire your receiver only the upper binding posts until you can afford a receiver with pre outs and an amp. I know this might sound crazy but you would be surprised how much of the bass comes from those upper mid range drivers. Unorthodox I know but when I tried my A9s with only the top binding posts connected I was amazed how much if the sound comes from those upper drivers. You could look for some rti8s that your receiver could power but I think they would sound pretty much like the 12s without the woofers connected.
    Thank you !
  • scotvl
    scotvl Posts: 88
    Options
    No problem, I only suggested this because it seems like it's hard for you to get good deals and selection in your country. You will still have to take it easy with the volume knob with the receiver you have but you won't have to settle for less than full range speakers if that's what you want. If you're not planning on upgrading your receiver at some point you should look for more appropriate speakers for the long term though. Good luck
  • nadi
    Options
    will a denon AVR-X4000 suffice as a future receiver upgrade ?
    any other models you would recommend ?
    Thank you !
  • D_M
    D_M Posts: 175
    Options
    Nadi,

You need to figure out what features you want in a receiver. I'm referring to HDMI, 3D, internet connectivity, etc..... What the forum members are trying to convey, is not to purchase a receiver for the sole intention of properly powering your speakers. Most receivers fall short in this department. You might not notice a substantial quality improvement over your current system. You mentioned a current space restriction, so the 12s might be too big for your space, along with being under powered.
  • nadi
    Options
    Sorry to bump this,
    I ended up buying a pair of RTIA7 and now looking to power them ,
    would Denon AVR-X3100W suffice ?

Thanks !
  • Inspector 24
    Options
    while there is 4 less drivers to power, most members say the 7's can still greatly benefit from a separate Amp.

Get something like a Parasound with 200wpc @ 8ohm and you'll be golden.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500