124»

Comments

• dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    dpowell wrote: »
    h5g7efn85smr.jpg

Left to right

Cody, John, Erik, Will, Doug
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited March 2015
    "Erik wrote:
    And thank you to John for hauling down his Carver monoblocks and Pass preamp. With those set up - any speaker we hooked up went to a whole different level of sonic performance.

I couldn't stop saying 'wow' at the detail, depth, and texture I was hearing. And power....ppffft - those mono blocks were shaking the house!

We tried all sorts of combos with the gear there and it all sounded good, but everyone was in agreement 'best' was the Carvers with the Pass.

Thank you Eric for the kind words... I learned quite a bit too from your MF and the B&W's. That is some seriously fine gear as well. I have never really considered "bookies" to be as good as their floor standing counterparts, but my eyes were opened to that possibility in a very big way.

I was also impressed by Doug's Sunfire paired up with the Pass. I don't see ever going back to SS power, but that Sunfire is a beast, and really came alive once the Pioneer was taken out of the loop. If my wife were not wanting to get on the road for the long drive home, I could have listened to that combo for a long time.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Very nice guys! John has some great equipment. I've heard the Revel Gems and they are very impressive! Glad to see Polkies getting together and having a great time. Thanks for sharing!
    Carl

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    WTG Doug!! Thanks for sharing and glad you all had a great time!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    I uploaded some pictures I took of the event - just gear.

We had the bookies on some very nice stands that Will brought down - I couldn't believe how good my B&Ws sounded out in the room. And the way John's Carver's gripped and controlled the bass - they were digging low!

CA-CP-2015-1.jpg
    CA-CP-2015-2.jpg
    CA-CP-2015-3.jpg
    CA-CP-2015-4.jpg

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • civilian
    civilian Posts: 357
    Looks all to familiar. Isn't it about time to do something again?