Chance to be a record store manager

2»

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited August 2014
    I was just on one of my long road trip driving a couple days ago and actually thought about you and your new job. Glad your happy and hope you prosper and continue to enjoy.

Congrats to you John

Cheers guys
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited August 2014
    Good for you I hope it works out, matter of fact just got back from our mom and pop shop they had all the latest releases on vinyl, picked up the new 140 gram Tom Petty & Heartbreakers and a couple of used one's this place sells new used vinyl, New and used CD' s stereo equipment (used mostly vintage), concerts DVDs & BLU RAYS New used used and new concerts shirts plus has a second hand store. They have a lot of vinyl and sell a lot of vinyl, so best wishes to you this store is thriving and I hope the same for yours.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited August 2014
    Congrats !
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    And today at midnight the vinyl shop I've been working at became mine. Yup I own it. Bought it for the wholesale value of the inventory which I counted myself. I'm bringing my collection of 3000 or so records into it on top of the existing 8000. Plus I'm selling guitars and other stringed instruments new and used and amps and accessories for musicians. Also selling a lot of cd's and even cassettes lately. Very exciting but very scary. This shop has grown each year with no advertising whatsoever no web page, no facebook, craigslist, newspaper, nothing. I have good sources for used vinyl and will expand into more new vinyl since sales are still increasing. This vinyl business is booming in my area with many many young people buying, but lots of my clientele are long time collectors who will still buy if the craze settles down. With the stringed instruments I think I can do quite well. And I'm always looking for new revenue streams. Turntable set up, record cleaning, vinyl to digital transfer to name a few. Wish me luck and drop by if in Vernon British Columbia. It will be called Kelectibles which is a play on my real name which is Kelvin. It's currently named Eclectibles so the name change is slight. When I bring in my collection next month the full name will change to Kelectibles Record City. I have a cool logo being made up. Wish me luck!!
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Congrats and good luck! B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited March 2015
    If I were closer (or even in the same country) I'd come in and support you. If you ever setup a website and offer shipping let us know. Good luck man!
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Yup Me too. Glad to hear things are looking up. I visit my local record store weekly & travel throughout our state while working & if i can swing in i do. I love the settings of privately owned stores.
    Randy/Maine
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Congrats and good luck!!!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Awesome! "For fungo with Fongo!"
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Great to hear. Sounds like you did it the right way by working there for awhile and understanding the othe streams of revenue.

Good luck!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    That's excellent; congratulations and best wishes for success!
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Fongolio wrote: »
    Today is the 4th day at this new job and I'm loving it!! Better than I expected. I've never had days fly by so fast at work. Really really enjoying this job.

Who knows what the future will bring? Success is doing what you love and are passonate about, and making a living in the meantime.

Good on ya for following your dreams, most people don't have the balls to do the same.

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Good for you man - do what you love and never work a day in your life as they say.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Congrats and best of luck.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    Congratulations.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Congrats Kelvin! Glad to hear it's going well for you. I's very nice to see someone doing something that they enjoy very much :)
    Fongolio wrote: »
    This shop has grown each year with no advertising whatsoever no web page, no facebook, craigslist, newspaper, nothing.

Should change all that and watch what can really happen once the word gets out. Hire a tech-savvy high schooler - or younger, depending on what the child labor laws are in your country ;) - who's into web page development and all that social media cr ap and get some buzz going. "Under new ownership! Come on in and check us out! We just got several copies of Wham!'s Greatest Hits!", etc.

Wishing continued success for you!

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    I sense an awesome vinyl karma in our future. >:)o:)

Get yourself up on the web and drop a link to us. I am certain we could use a connection like that around here.

Congrats and best of luck.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Congrats, and a real success story!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Happy birthday @nbrowser !
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Happy B-lated Bday Browser!
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Happy B-lated Bday Browser!

What he said! B)

2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Ask to see the books. That's where the answer lies..
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren