Chance to be a record store manager

Options
Fongolio
Fongolio Posts: 3,516
edited August 2014 in The Clubhouse
Some of you may remember a few years back I changed careers from flooring installer to Armored Car Guard. I've been working in that industry for 3 years and although it pays the bills it's not a great job.

A friend of mine in town who owns a used vinyl and vintage gear and guitar shop had a deal to sell the shop. My friend has a second shop about 300 miles from the one near me. He was going to move there and had already sold his house and moved almost all his belongings when the deal for the sale of this shop fell through at the last minute.

He has asked me if I'd consider managing the shop for him and he'd be an absent owner. I'd make less money initially but he'd allow me to set up a bench in the record store and do minor electronics repair as a side business (which I already do) to make up the difference in pay.

This is my dream job. I already own a ton of gear and about 3000 records. Music is my passion and I can't think of a job where I might be happier. I already hang out there a lot and know most of the regular customers by name. Lastly there is a chance if I could put the funds together of out right buying the store.

Am I crazy not to take this?
SDA-1C (full mods)
Carver TFM-55
NAD 1130 Pre-amp
Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
The Clamp
Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
Ben's IC's
Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
Post edited by Fongolio on

Comments

• Sea
    Sea Posts: 317
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Follow your dream especially if you can make close to the same by doing the repair work.
    Main-Carver TFM35(2),Carver C11 ,Carver SD/A 360 CD,Carver TX11 ,Grace Digital Tuner, Pioneer PL707 TT,Polk SDA1C
    Downstairs -Carver M1.5t, Carver C1 Pre, Carver TX10 Tuner, Carver TL3200 CD Player, Dual 1009 TT,Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl
    Study - Carver AV634 Amp, Carver CT7 Pre, Carver DTL50 CD Player, Polk RTA12c
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Any time you can find a way to be your own boss it is a blessing IMHO.... If it can pay your bills and let you save something for later, go for it.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I have also thought something similar would be an awesome job.

Here are my thoughts, which may not mean ****, but you asked... :)

1. Store manager. If you can swing it financially, seems like it would be a nice gig.

2. Store owner. If the vintage gear and guitars can keep the shop afloat, maybe not a bad option, but in all reality, I think in the next 5 years the vinyl surge we have going now will fade away and you may find it tough to pay the bills if you are relying mostly on vinyl sales.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Not sure that turning a hobby into a profession is a good idea -- it wouldn't be for me, but perhaps for you, it will be!
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Any way you can get a glimpse of financial performance? Record stores are a dying breed, so I'd hate to leave my current job only to end up somewhere that's going downhill fast and may be closing in the next couple of years.

If it feels "safe" after seeing those #'s, why not? You only get one go at life after all. Might as well be doing what you love, if it will pay the bills.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Don't let your dreams get mixed up with your job. You have to really look at that proposition from every angle. You're looking at a job in a very niche market, in a store, which the owner doesn't seem to want to, so he may sell it down the road. Then you have to find additional business by fixing equipment to make up the difference. Doing repairs as a hobby is one thing, doing it as a job carries more responsibilities including extra insurance, etc. Don't mean to **** on your dream, but it sounds like a risky business.
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2014
    Options
    ... ask the folks who were makin' cupcakes a little while ago, when that fad was cresting.

http://www.marketplace.org/shows/marketplace/marketplace-tuesday-july-8-2014
  • helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I'm one of those who believes if you are able to do something that makes you happy, and can still support your family, then go for it. You have an opportunity to build your own business as a tech as well, plus enjoy your vinyl hobby. Just make sure you don't eat up all the profits buying every LP you see that you like :D Experience with managing the store will also give you a lot of insight into that ownership possibility.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited July 2014
    Options
    It really depends on the type of person you are........personally I've found that doing what you love for a living is much like moving to your favorite vacation spot to live. It takes the luster off from both, turning the special into normal, causing you to eventually seek new places and things to enjoy.

But that's just me......
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    edited July 2014
    Options
    It really depends on the type of person you are........personally I've found that doing what you love for a living is much like moving to your favorite vacation spot to live. It takes the luster off from both, turning the special into normal, causing you to eventually seek new places and things to enjoy.

But that's just me......

The guy who owns Double Decker Records "my favorite hang out" told me when the day is done he doesn't want see another LP.
    I said you must have one hell of a collection, he replied there's not one record in his home and has no desire to have any.

I don't see how I could feel this way. I agree with the OP this is a dream job.
    But until you try it how will you know if it makes you happy or miserable.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited July 2014
    Options

But that's just me......

Well said....and so true. If you love what your doing for work, it never really becomes work.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I say go for if..
    Not many people can say they are doing their Dream Job..I think.
    Is it a franchise if not, if he sells it later I'm sure he will offer it to you first and since it's not a franchise it will be much much cheaper to buy, or just change the name to your Dream Name, just don't name it Dirk Diggler..lol
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited July 2014
    Options
    It's not like your giving up some great career to take a shot at this, not banging on being an armored car guard but I feel like if it didn't work out you could just do that again. Go for it, maybe the side business will do more for you and the store than you think.

Wait a second, they pay people in Canada? I always assumed it was like the hippy coop my brothers wife used to live in, everyone helps out with the daily chores and everything was free? Man...
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited July 2014
    Options
    plus you can maybe hire P-man & Rednedtugent and put them to work, wait they would buy up all your records as fast as you got them. could you image P-man telling his wife he got a job there? LOL
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited July 2014
    Options
    The exposure to more repairs might make it worth while.

Question: If things don't go as planned can you go back to your old job or an as-like job? If yes, why not give it a whirl.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,059
    edited July 2014
    Options
    "Make your vocation your vacation." Mark Twain
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited July 2014
    Options
    we have a couple of new used record shops that showed up in town and it was not long before they were picked clean, Vinyl addicts buy (collect) but don't seem to trade in much.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Fongolio
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Thanks to all for your thoughts. This is not an easy decision but yes, I can always go back to guarding. I think at times in life moments happen and opportunities come along that define us in a way. I always think of the Albert Brooks character in the movie "Defending Your Life" (Merrill Streep co-starred). He was defined by his fear of the unknown and his inability to "seize the moment". This is one of those moments. I may regret doing it, but I will for sure regret NOT doing it.

Decision made. Wish me luck. Thanks.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    The Clamp
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2014
    Options
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Fongolio wrote: »
    Thanks to all for your thoughts. This is not an easy decision but yes, I can always go back to guarding.

Decision made. Wish me luck. Thanks.

If you can always go back to guarding, and you're SURE on that! Then "maybe" it's OK to take a chance, otherwise, walk away, because I don't believe there is much of a future here. Follow your dreams sounds good, but this is America and there are literally millions upon millions living lives with shattered dreams, way MORE than the few who are held up as an example of those who pulled themselves up by their you know whats. lol

Good luck to you either way!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Good luck bro...

Just remember a record store doesn't have to be a record store, so be creative i.e. apparel, or any other small items for profit.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Fongolio
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Today is the 4th day at this new job and I'm loving it!! Better than I expected. I've never had days fly by so fast at work. Really really enjoying this job.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    The Clamp
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited August 2014
    Options
    That's great to hear! Hope it stays that way.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,083
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Today is the 4th day at this new job and I'm loving it!! Better than I expected. I've never had days fly by so fast at work. Really really enjoying this job.

That is great to hear. I hope it all works out for you.
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Glad to see you liking it. Keep us updated on the ups and downs so we can live vicariously through you........
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,083
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Glad to see you liking it. Keep us updated on the ups and downs so we can live vicariously through you........

No doubt! Do they partake in RSD? If so can you hook us up on the rare ones? ;)
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Nice!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    edited August 2014
    Options
    If you were closer id swing in :) glad your enjoying it & hope for the best
    Randy/Maine
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Excellent! Have fun!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited August 2014
    Options

"Fongo's Vinyl Emporium & Vintage Audio" has a nice ring to it.

Congrats and enjoy... let us know when the Polkie Discount comes around.:lol:

I just got promoted to Store Manager here at Paul's TV, but what a pain in the **** this place is.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson