RTA 12C

Against my better judgement I am putting my RTA 12's with Peerless tweeters up for sale. These have been completely re-done. They look and sound fantastic. Currently running them on a Silk Audio MC-100B tube amp. The crossovers have been rebuilt with Sonicaps on the high pass and Dayton on the shunts and low pass and Mills resistors. New cabinet wiring and Speakon connectors. Hurricane nuts have been installed and Dynamat has been applied to the drivers. Driver magnets have been Locktited. Blackhole 5 installed behind the 6.5's. New binding posts. Cabinets have been re-veneered with heavy figured cherry with a natural stain. Cosmetically they are near perfect. These are for local pick up and would be willing to drive an hour or two to meet for the sale. $600 or a reasonable offer.s8lu1qgb4elf.jpg
4u9wp0hjp31v.jpg
tpwynic04dug.jpg
mts1351y7szs.jpg
11z5czt60cqh.jpg
3p13i5lvf0qf.jpg
0lycyzcudiwj.jpg
tqngx5p9t5rb.jpg

Comments

• Sea
    Sea Posts: 317
    Where are you located?
    Main-Carver TFM35(2),Carver C11 ,Carver SD/A 360 CD,Carver TX11 ,Grace Digital Tuner, Pioneer PL707 TT,Polk SDA1C
    Downstairs -Carver M1.5t, Carver C1 Pre, Carver TX10 Tuner, Carver TL3200 CD Player, Dual 1009 TT,Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl
    Study - Carver AV634 Amp, Carver CT7 Pre, Carver DTL50 CD Player, Polk RTA12c
  • Sea
    Sea Posts: 317
    I have a pair that I am about to rebuild and also apply veneer. I am trying to decide which capacitors to use. How do you like the sound of the combination you used. How long was the burn in time before you got the best sound.
    Main-Carver TFM35(2),Carver C11 ,Carver SD/A 360 CD,Carver TX11 ,Grace Digital Tuner, Pioneer PL707 TT,Polk SDA1C
    Downstairs -Carver M1.5t, Carver C1 Pre, Carver TX10 Tuner, Carver TL3200 CD Player, Dual 1009 TT,Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl
    Study - Carver AV634 Amp, Carver CT7 Pre, Carver DTL50 CD Player, Polk RTA12c
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Beautiful job! They look awesome. GLWYS
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    "Beautiful job! They look awesome. GLWYS"

Thank you.

I live about 50 miles south of Chicago. The burn in time was around 250 hours.
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    I have a pair just like these to fix up.Nice to see what they will look like when finished,
    Great work,those are beauties.
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • Faustin
    Thanks brgman. Get to work on yours! :D
  • Real nice! Two day trip for me and it would be but cold with the top down
    or else I'd be there.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited February 2015
    If I bought these my buddy Mario from work would never talk to me again :) He went crazy trying to get a pair and finally did, I showed him your picks which are still on my kindle to show off how well you did the vinyl on them and all the work you put into them.... GLWTS wish you were my neighbor!

getting a pair of 12's is one thing...getting your pair of 12's is something special!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Faustin
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Really nice looking, nice job! GLWTS
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Bruce, sorry to see those go. It must be killing you. BTW, I'm pretty sure we did Clarity ESAs for the Hi-Pass.
    Good luck
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Faustin
    Yes Dave selling them is a tough decision and you are right about the caps; they are Clarity ESA on the high pass not Sonicaps.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited February 2015
    Wondering if you might be available on Sunday afternoon to show these. I'll be headed back home from the auto show, and could possibly take them off your hands.

Thanks
    Dave
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Faustin
    I should be around on Sunday afternoon. Send me a pm and let's see what we can work out.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    Damn those are gorgeous! I love the dark to light contrast!
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Faustin
    Thanks halo. I really enjoyed giving those girls a make over. I am going to do a pair of 7b's in the same veneer and finish. I will post progress on those when I start.
  • Faustin
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Will someone buy these - so i can stop looking & drooling over them :smile:
    Randy/Maine
  • Faustin
    Hey Boston, they are worth a road trip. I will even throw in a Chicago pizza for the trip home. :D
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Those are beautiful... dare I say even nicer than new! You do very nice work Bruce.
  • Faustin
    Thanks Scubalab. It was a fun project
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Wish I could get my cousin who lives in Chicago to throw them into his plane and fly them down here, but its a open cockpit Stearman Biplane. :) GLWTS!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Drop Dead Gorgeous!! I am not in the market, but those babies sure could put me in the market!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dang!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Faustin
    You should always be in the market for a couple of nice looking pieces of furniture that also sound good! :D I may just have to keep these and sell my 1c's.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Faustin wrote: »
    I may just have to keep these and sell my 1c's.
    Which do you like better?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Faustin
    I really like both sets of speakers. The SDA's are much bigger sounding than the 12's and are better suited for a large room. But there is something about the high end on the 12's that I really enjoy. I have them both set up with different amps so I can switch between them depending on my mood. That being said, I have to admit that I really do not have either pair set up for optimum listening.
  • Faustin
    Weekend bump. $550
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    My 12C's are no slouches. Agree that the sound stage width can't compete with my 2.3TL's, but they still have very good imaging, and an airiness in the high end that makes the speaker cabs disappear.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Faustin
  • Faustin
    Resurrecting this thread. Still have these available. $550 w2rbm6pzse7p.jpg
    oeuljlza8pss.jpg