Crossover upgrades and new tweeters

Options

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Thanks for the invite, who knows. As for good ideas, I've peppered this forum with them, might be some bad ones too....LOL
    I did not grill the Polk tech, but on 2 different calls to them I got the same advice.

Bad advice times 2, I'm afraid.

Your search for Mills is over, http://www.soniccraft.com/

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• strokin
    strokin Posts: 63
    Options
    The Polk adviser told me the wrong placement of the 6511's and the 6510's when I asked. And yeah I remember his name...
  • jimclass
    Options
    These Mills caps are tiny compared to what's in there. How can that be? And the ones in the speaker are 2.7 ohm 5w 10%. The mills are 2.7ohm 5w 1%. Is that compatible? Or does it make it better?
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    jimclass wrote: »
    These Mills caps are tiny compared to what's in there. How can that be? And the ones in the speaker are 2.7 ohm 5w 10%. The mills are 2.7ohm 5w 1%. Is that compatible? Or does it make it better?

This is what you want: http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/mills-mra-12-12-watt-27-ohm-p-702

The 5W originals get too hot and can fry out.

• jimclass
    Options
    exactly how does this affect the sound, though? different watts, different percent, I don't know this stuff. What would be the noticeable difference?
  • F1nut
    Options
    Tighter tolerances result in better sound. Anyway, high quality resistors offer greatly clarity. These are cheap, just do it.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Exactly. It isn't like we are trying to sell you on a $12,000 amp...it's ~$20 worth of resistors.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • jimclass
    Options
    Thanks for your help. So I assume a different wattage does not have a negative effect.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Nope. Just can handle higher wattages. I would go with the 10 or 12 watt Mills.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • jimclass
    Options
    waiting for the resistors to arrive, as well as Moretite
  • F1nut
    Options
    Do not use Mortite. As long as the original gaskets are not damaged there is no need to replace them. If you have to, use Armacell or the speaker gasket tape from Parts Express, which is already cut to the 1/2" required.

President of Club Polk

• jimclass
    Options
    Seriously F1? M.Polk suggested mortite for gasket seals. And everyone here is saying you need to dampen the baskets, but Polk did not. Confusing. All I want to do is what will make a positive sonic difference if possible. Reminds me of when CDs first were introduced and the HiFi geeks said you had to stripe the edge with a green marker to define and improve the sound. Please no green marker advice people. Does dampening really mean a discernible unsubtle improvement.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    On the forum here you're getting advice from both the pioneers and the followers of the mods to be done on vintage Polks. I suspect that most people you might get hold of at Polk, while well meaning, do not have the experience that forum members can offer you here.

None of the suggested mods you're getting here are of the 'green marker' type. Each has been performed, multiple times, and proven to be improvement to the vintage speakers. You can search 'Mortite' and read a lot about people's experience with it, but it's not a mod that has found favor--Rather, people are either keeping the original gaskets (if sound) or else making new from Armacell material.

Keep asking questions, you'll get the best advice here. Use the search bar and you'll see that there's a lot of stories from people who've experimented with the mods you're doing and that you're considering.

Welcome to Club Polk!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • F1nut
    Options
    jimclass wrote: »
    Seriously F1? M.Polk suggested mortite for gasket seals. And everyone here is saying you need to dampen the baskets, but Polk did not. Confusing. All I want to do is what will make a positive sonic difference if possible.

Dead serious.

Polk Audio used Mortite when first starting out in business because they could not afford to have real gaskets made. Once they made some money, they started using real gaskets. That should tell you all you need to know about that matter. Furthermore, if you were to use say Armacell once the material has compressed it will be the same thickness as the original compressed gaskets. So, as long as the original gaskets are not damaged, what's the point? Answer, there isn't one.

You should apply Dynamat Extreme to the spokes on the stamped steel baskets as it will kill the ringing. Flick your fingernail on the basket, you will hear it ring like a ****.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Are you kidding me, m o f o is censored!?!

Welcome to a forum designed by two year olds. How incredibly ridiculous.

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I just grabbed a spare MW out of curiosity @F1nut . If you hold it by the magnet and flick the basket, rings like a m o f o, but if you hold the outer edge where the screws go through and flick - no ringing as the basket spokes are part of that outer ring. Wouldn't the same mass be added when it's screwed in, removing the ringing?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • jimclass
    Options
    I appreciate all the advice. Just got a bit frustrated with conflicting posts. I want to wrap this project up and start enjoying music again.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    Options
    Listen to F1, im just asking questions.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I just grabbed a spare MW out of curiosity @F1nut . If you hold it by the magnet and flick the basket, rings like a m o f o, but if you hold the outer edge where the screws go through and flick - no ringing as the basket spokes are part of that outer ring. Wouldn't the same mass be added when it's screwed in, removing the ringing?

I tried what you did. Compared to one that has Dynamat, it still rings.

President of Club Polk

• RandyCroissant
    Options
    Hey fella's my experience with removing the drivers and pr's was go slow and easy no torn gaskets that way, as for the Dynamat that's on my list. How would you rate the improvement ya... know bang for the buck!! by the way a big thanks to F1 for all your help on this thread..
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Randy
    I did the dynamat extreme & blackhole 5 and hurricane nuts and crossovers all at same time and the difference was huge and worth every penny... but since I did it all at once I cant say which was worth it the most. except to say I love my Monitor 10's now and they are still my go to when I want to hear some music.
    now that I have some CRS's to play with, maybe that will change B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    Thanks V.. so far I'm in on c-over mods and 198's burnin things in right now. The wife n kids are mad as hell but hey gotta get this done top priority ya know...150 hours to go ha...
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• strokin
    Options
    I just got finished doing all of the same things that "Voltz" just did however I did do all my dynomatting first, all by itself, and there was a difference. They sounded tighter and more pronounced.
    H-nuts tightened it up even more, along with sealing the inside.
  • jimclass
    Options
    okay, I understand that the yellow capacitor in my SDA2As is 12uf. But what is that black "bean" attached to it? r92djr1ia181.jpg
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Silver Mica shunt Cap. The used them to improve the sound of the Mylars Caps
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • jimclass
    Options
    Thanks for the info. So, if I replace the cap with a film cap, I don't need to use that shunt? Or should wire that baby in?
  • F1nut
    Options
    So, if I replace the cap with a film cap

You get rid of the bypass cap.

President of Club Polk

• jimclass
    Options
    Thanks F1. Does that cap affect the tweeters only? What would be the expected result of the upgrade? More precise stereo imaging? Brighter highs? How about the midrange? I know you have experience with these details
  • F1nut
    Options
    Does that cap affect the tweeters only?

Correct.
    What would be the expected result of the upgrade?

Mo' better everything.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Ok machone, what is it that you disagree with?

President of Club Polk