American Sniper

Options

Comments

• Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    Options
    pfb,
    A little humility (e.g. "Sorry, I meant no offense.")
    would go a long way. I don't understand your need to continue defending yourself when you have obviously offended someone.
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,093
    edited January 2015
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Thanks for ruining the ending everyone....I had no idea about the story. Again, I hope some resources go to vets, especially since this is based on a real story, which is the important thing here.

Honestly guys, knowing that he dies does not ruin the movie. Personally I think it might be better to know this fact before seeing the movie. If you only know that Chris Kyles dies, but you don't know how, the ending is definitely not ruined. All of us who "ruined it" knew the story before we went in. Didn't ruin it for us.

Examples have already been used to illustrate that knowing the ending of something doesn't ruin it. JFK, Lincoln, Titanic, etc., etc.
    All of these examples you truly know the ending, but the stories are still fascinating.

Anyway, go see the movie. It's a fantastic true story of an American hero.
    Post edited by PSOVLSK on
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Options
    Just got home from seeing this. Like everyone else, the theater was packed.

There was an older veteran who stood at the end and saluted. Everyone in the theater clapped as well, leading to silence as we walked out. As hard as I fought back tears, it was a futile attempt. They were streaming down my face.

Incredible film!
    No excuses!
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing this one!
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    I've seen a few complaints online about people ruining the movie by talking about the ending. That's pretty much as bad as saying the same thing about Apollo 13, 'guess what guys they make it back'. When a movie like this comes out I think it's pretty much universally accepted that it'll be discussed openly without the worry of spoilers
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    Here's one thing I find funny, and stupid...

In his first post in this thread PFB complains about us ruining the movie...but he's the first one that mentioned (as far as I can tell) that he dies at the end.

Sounds like someone looking to instigate an argument to me
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    I just read through all the post before PFB and no one ever mentions that he dies. All anyone said is that it was dead silent and reverent when everyone was leaving.

PFB is being typical PFB. Note the "lol" at the end of his first post.

I think the fallen hero comment in the OP gives it away.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,093
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    I think the fallen hero comment in the OP gives it away.

Good point. I overlooked that :\
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    You also overlooked the fact that when I added in the lol it was to add a little humility so no one would actually think I was really pished for spoiling what I had previously though as another hollywood military movie.

I guess to sum it up I would say that I find it stupid and funny that no one was able to pick up that, right Assim?
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,078
    Options
    Well I for one can't wait to see it, I served proudly and could care less how those that didn't serve feel about such events as this particular one, freedom to voice ones opinion is one of the rights they have because of people who gave their lifes like Chris Kyle.

What pisses me off is the clown you see at a bar or where ever, that says stuff like yeah we should drop the big one on them or send ground troops in and kick azz, then when you ask them what branch did you serve in, and they say what I did not serve, that's when I like to tell them to shut their pie hole. I don't think PFB meant it to sound like he sounded, anyways I think I just might hit the theatre for this one.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    Options
    Went to see it with a friend who has been through buds, lots of inaccuracies, but its to be expected, they can't spill the beans on current methods and all of that jazz. Great movie though, although a little off put at his revealing of the events, even if he was augmenting Marines and not doing any covert ops. Love and respect all he did for fellow veterans and service members, he will be missed.
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    Options
    Out of curiosity, care to elaborate on the inaccuracies?
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • seabeerob213
    Options
    Buds training wasn't even at Coronado, the base where it is conducted, instructors were a bit more mellow than normal, some others as well, as well as the things that go along with showing stories about recent military evolutions and current uniforms and such, they can't disclose all of it and the uniforms are never 100% right. Whole theater on base was silent at the end as well.
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    My apologies for spoiling the ending of something that happened two years ago. PFB, I dont believe your comment was meant to be callous or disrespectful, but you know there are a number of active members who are vets, have family who are, or just have a plain, old-fashioned respect for the military and what they do.
  • seabeerob213
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »
    My apologies for spoiling the ending of something that happened two years ago. PFB, I dont believe your comment was meant to be callous or disrespectful, but you know there are a number of active members who are vets, have family who are, or just have a plain, old-fashioned respect for the military and what they do.

Or who are currently serving and doing their best to ignore him, because sailor language may earn a lifetime ban.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options

Or who are currently serving and doing their best to ignore him, because sailor language may earn a lifetime ban.

Right! Sorry Rob, forgot you are active and away from home as we speak. Aim High!

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    I don't understand concerns about anybody's having revealed the ending of "American Sniper."

The story of Chris Kyle's journey and death is very well known. As one poster noted above, the power of this movie, like all tragedies, is in the "journey" to the inevitable conclusion, not in surprise about the conclusion.

To make a tragedy powerful, the screenwriter, director, and actors have to make the audience feel the great stature of the tragic figure before the inevitable conclusion is represented.

And, as in "Hamlet," "King Lear," and "Macbeth," for example, they must also make the members of the audience aware -- one way or another -- that the tragic conclusion is inevitable.

This all comes together to create what Aristotle called the "catharsis" that characterizes the effect of great tragedies.

In the case of "American Sniper" fore knowledge of the outcome is a part of the power of the film, not a factor that compromises the intended effect.

Just my humble opinion.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• seabeerob213
    Options

Right! Sorry Rob, forgot you are active and away from home as we speak. Aim High!

Its good, I'm currently in Japan, so its not too bad

• gudnoyez
    Options
    Leaving to catch the 5:55 showing I went and bought tickets this afternoon they were sold out last evening. I swore I wouldn't go to anymore movies since I finished the main HT but for this movie I will make an exception, well gotta go.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    You will be glad you did Steve. Saw it last night. Not ashamed to admit I was crying like a broken hearted school girl.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Michael Moore snipes on twitter that snipers are cowards....But then he walks it back and says he wasn't talking about this movie or Chris Kyle...OMFG what a douchenozzle. I hear there is a biographical movie coming out about Moore... Called "The Blob!" I will also never watch another Seth Rogan movie for his idiotic comments..How dare they disrespect our brave military. Hopefully their next projects will tank.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    I will also never watch another Seth Rogan movie for his idiotic comments..How dare they disrespect our brave military. Hopefully their next projects will tank.

Pretty flippin' incredible that Rogan, after what he had just been through in regard to his latest movie and the topic of free speech, would disrespect a person, a war hero, who directly was very active in protecting that very right for him and all Americans! Unbelievable! :#

• gudnoyez
    Options
    Just got back there was absolute silence at the end, a almost erie kind of silence. A lot of us sat till the credits quit rolling. I took my grandson he kept commenting on the back pack the actor portraying Mr Kyle was wearing looked a lot like his zag back pack that I got him.

I'm pretty sure there was not a dry eye in the theater, does anyone of you know the title to the book that this was based on? Yeah Clint Eastwood did it again another movie that was stellar.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• seabeerob213
    Options
    The book was american sniper as well
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Options
    Back to the topic (the movie) I was reading today that Brad Cooper was on an 8,000 calorie a day diet, and working out with a trainer 40 hours a day. He worked with Kyle's friends to learn how he walked, talked and went about his routine. Brad Cooper worked tirelessly to represent the real life hero and tell his story. I hope that he get the Oscar.
    Carl

• seabeerob213
    Options
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Back to the topic (the movie) I was reading today that Brad Cooper was on an 8,000 calorie a day diet, and working out with a trainer 40 hours a day. He worked with Kyle's friends to learn how he walked, talked and went about his routine. Brad Cooper worked tirelessly to represent the real life hero and tell his story. I hope that he get the Oscar.
    40 hours a day huh, impressive
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,135
    Options
    He should, but he won't because the backlash here in Hollywierd against this film's very existence is massive. There is a mailer campaign encouraging Academy members to vote for anything else BUT this film.

If it were a foreign language film called "Afgan Sniper" or "Iraqi Sniper", and told from the enemy's point of view, It would win for every category it would be nominated in.

Such is the sorry state of affairs in LaLa Land, and why I go to so few movies.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    Options
    Cooper was on Stern a week ago and seems like a real cool dude. he talked about how much he wanted to not piss off the Seals..that's why HE decided to get bigger for the film. he didn't want people looking at him portraying Chris and saying "wtf? he doesn't look ANYTHING like him" Funny thing..Cooper is an Obama backer...I think he campaigned for him. Eastwood is a staunch conservative. They both got along great, and Cooper loves him. Good to see politics taking a back seat to show a war hero.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    Or maybe Bradley Cooper finally woke up and realized that freedom isn't free. We owe it all to those brave men and women who serve, have served and have made the ultimate sacrifice of shedding their blood at the alter of freedom.