American Sniper

Options

Comments

• Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    Msabot1 wrote: »
    Yea...his name is Carlos Hathcock....AKA..White Feather....Hardly no recognition for that man...except in certain circles...

There are hundreds of snipers that are legendary within the community... most prefer that they are never known.

• Msabot1
    Options
    Well....the NVA sure knew who he was....
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,180
    Options
    Msabot1 wrote: »
    Well....the NVA sure knew who he was....

Of course they did. There was so many similarities between the VC and the insurgency in Iraq, right down to the spies we let into our midst. No doubt Carlos Hathcock and Chris Kyle were made known because of those spies.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    Options
    Watched it last night on IMAX. Great movie, but so heart breaking it would be hard to watch it again.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    Options
    Carlos Hathcock is VERY well known in certain circles, like the gun community, and the military. And NOT just the US military. ;-)
    He's also been referenced in hundreds of books, movies, tv shows, etc.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Haven't seen this yet, waiting for BR. Anyway, this CNN post is an interesting read.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/23/entertainment/american-sniper-misunderstood-feat/index.html
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Haven't seen this yet, waiting for BR. Anyway, this CNN post is an interesting read.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/23/entertainment/american-sniper-misunderstood-feat/index.html

Still an opinion piece (even if it isn't marked as one) but IMHO, one of the most accurate yet.
    The movie is about a man and the things that he went through and felt. It isn't a stand up for the left or the right propaganda piece. Again, just MHO.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    BlueFox wrote: »

Still an opinion piece (even if it isn't marked as one) but IMHO, one of the most accurate yet.
    The movie is about a man and the things that he went through and felt. It isn't a stand up for the left or the right propaganda piece. Again, just MHO.
    Very true. This is one mans journey, nothing more nothing less. There was nothing political in the movie that I could discern. I think Eastwood did a superb job on it. I wish they had fleshed out a bit more, his struggles finding his humanity again. Maybe they'll be a "Directors Cut". It's based on his journal however, so perhaps anything more would have been too much poetic license.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing this with my son next weekend. Not sure why everything has to be politicized all the friggin' time....BTW, I am retired Air Force with no axe to grind one way or the other. I think Clint is an outstanding director.
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,912
    Options
    pongshi wrote: »
    I think Clint is an outstanding director.

Amen to that bro.

Still, I have a question. How do you nominate a movie for movie of the year and NOT the director ? Answer me that anyone.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,922
    Options
    That's an easy one Tony, it's wackywood and Clint isn't one of them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited January 2015
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

That's kind of ironic, considering he's the best thing out there!

I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • rc51matt
    Options
    After reading all this I want to go see it again and buy it on Blu Ray. Yes I fought back tears unsuccessfully also.
  • tonyb
    Options

You may be right there Jess, he never was, but he may have sealed his fate with the Wackywood crowd with that empty chair bit at the convention.

Point being anyway, doesn't a director have anything to do with a movie being good or bad ? Of course they do, so how can you have a best movie nominated and not the director ?

It's called political B.S., and it takes away from the legitimacy of the reward shows. Just like they have to have 10 nominees now. Heck, you had a hard time filling in the top 5 or 6 before. They just like giving out rewards for mediocre work now, patting themselves on the back as often as they can was never alien to the Hollywood crowd.

My wife and her girlfriend have been getting together for 30 years on Oscar night. They see every nominated movie, then argue who will or should win. Occasionally I sit in and argue the results. Last year it was Gravity.....a most boring film with the outcome obvious and reminded me of the old Apollo movie. The director had one person to direct, two if you count Clooney who was in the movie for a whole 15 minutes. Everything else was computer generated. Then you had a film like American Hustle, with a varied cast, good script, excellent acting, under a wide variety of scenarios that would drive any director nuts.

Just goes to show that hard work isn't always recognized....no matter what field your in.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    Options
    It's called political B.S

That was my point, guess I didn't bring it across clearly.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    It seems the two D-bags that poo-pooed this film have been banned from a Michigan steakhouse. I take my hat off to the owner.....may many others follow his lead.

President of Club Polk

• polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    Lol thats so funny but a little ironic as them guys are over in these hell holes fighting for people to have the right to be D bags and say what ever they want.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    the steakhouse can ban whomever the he ll they want as our troops are protecting their rights as well... freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    Options
    the steakhouse can ban whomever the he ll they want as our troops are protecting their rights as well... freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences.

That all depends who you ask John, you know that.

The way I see it.....those 2 D-baggers will now purposely go to the guys place then cry discrimination. How would it be any different from those Christian bakers who refuse **** customers ? The days of the Soup **** are gone.....no soup for you. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    Wow...can't say g-a-y... or.. n-a-z-I
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Yes, people are fighting and dying so Polk can have childish censorship. It's their right.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    Options
    As long as I've been alive, and for thousands of years prior, probably thousands of years in the future too, people will always be fighting and dying. Nature of our species I guess.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Msabot1
    Options
    Yea...
    Wars are started long before the first shot is fired...and continue long after the last bullet has done its job.....
  • F1nut
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

Obviously, this censoring is pointless and ineffective, so how about we get rid it!?!

President of Club Polk

• ZLTFUL
    Options
    Clearly censorship is limited...

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • nooshinjohn
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I know what George Carlin would say...

• nooshinjohn
    edited January 2015
    Options

• ZLTFUL
    Options
    Aaaaaaand my post was ultimately censored. LOL. Seems ironic.

• BlueFox
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

Obviously, this censoring is pointless and ineffective, so how about we get rid it!?!

That would be the mature action, and then just deal with posts that go overboard.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I self edited mine, lol... evn saying**** **** ***** is enough to get the mods attention. To bad they do not respond to trolls as quickly.