Editing a post

Why is there a one hour time limit in lieu of no time limit to edit a post ?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    It use to be shorter, so don't complain about that one.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    footwedge wrote: »
    But why?

Because.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    I can think of a few reasons why...still don't like it either. Only forums I have or have ever belonged to that does this...
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• F1nut
    Ok, here we go. There are a few reasons, one I will address. In the past certain members got their panties in a wad, decided to leave, but before doing so have attempted to delete all of their posts. Thereby making a mess of threads and removing potentially valuable information.

President of Club Polk

• footwedge
    footwedge Posts: 475
    F1nut wrote: »
    Thereby making a mess of threads and removing potentially valuable information.

"Potentially valuable information" can't end this discussion without asking for further details.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Because if you make a post and you get 10 responses, then go back and change your original post a month later, are those responses then relevant ?

Better suggestion is to think before you post, and you have a generous one hour to clear the cobwebs in case you make a mistake.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    You should be able to know what you want to edit within an hour. If not you shouldn't even make a post!
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • Inspector 24
    Valid point F1. I do dislike when people throw a tantrum and have done that in other forums.

The only issue I have is the inability to correct wrong information, IE for a classified listing, I seem to forget or accidentally leave something out, and find that people often don't read following posts to see if there are updates or corrections to the original post.

Of course I realize not everyone has only good intent with editing posts. I know that on forums I help moderate I can see user edits, perhaps a system where anyone can view the edits like a moderator can?
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• F1nut
    perhaps a system where anyone can view the edits like a moderator can?

Yeah right. Did you forget this is the disaster known as Vanilla!?!

President of Club Polk

• Inspector 24
    Referring to the current website? Yeah, I know a lot to ask...considering I sill can barely stand this format....
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519
    The one hour limit is more than some of the other boards I am on. I remember one of my boards allowing a five minute editing window. That didnt leave much time to fix up posts!
    lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5