rti a7

Hi I recently purchased a pair of RTi A7. Now I am interested in separating the woofers out and am looking for suggestions as to what would be the best way of powering them. I have a 20 year old Denon avr-800 with NO pre-outs. I will be replacing this with a new Denon AVR-S700w. What type of amp (amps) should I be looking for to power the subwoofers in the pair of RTi A7's. Thanks jpk

Comments

• gfong
    gfong Posts: 1,079
    I don't fully understand what you are specifically asking but will answer to what I think and you can correct. You have a pair of RTi 7's and a new receiver that's rated at 80watts per channel when running 2 channels. I would purchase a power amp to run your Rti7's and use the Denon 700 to run the rest of the speakers. 150-200 watts is the range I would look at. Used market can be your friend but there are also lots of new choices out there as well.

I ran the Rti7's with and without an amp and they are really great with both.

What percentage of movies or music will you be doing?

Do you currently have a sub woofer in your system?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    should I be looking for to power the subwoofers in the pair of RTi A7's.

There are no subwoofers in those speakers.

I believe are you are thinking about some sort of attempt at bi-amping using the AVR on top and a separate power amp to drive the bottom. Forget you ever thought about it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    The Denon S700 doesn't have preouts either, so you can't add an amp with that receiver either.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    As others have alluded, you need an AVR* w/pre outs. Seems your current AVR* & the one you're considering do not - essential to connect external power amp(s).

Many say most AVRs don't have "the juice" to drive 'A7s* well - 2 channel. Throw in a CC and surrounds on top of them*, things get very challenging.

I've never heard my 'A7s w/anything but a decent separate amp - pleased w/the results, so I can't comment*. In fact I only know, from a listening stand point, ARE separates, including to my surrounds.

When you decide on your AVR or pre/pro...

good luck, Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work