bi amp

Options

Answers

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    LOL Thanks Tony.

Yes, the impedance on pretty much all modern speakers with 2 sets of binding posts remains the same with the jumper removed.

The wiring/crossovers are designed this way.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    Those metal jumper strips at the binding posts are nothing more than conductor paths...you are better off without them....if you have to use...make some with some good gauge speaker wire...that has been mentioned before.....
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,862
    Options
    If ya want more power, pay for it.

That's sig material if I ever saw it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• David7544
    Options
    I think this AVR has a new class of amp. "D3" I was told by a bestbuy tech , who brought up the electrical stuff about it on his computer screen, that it has a total output power capacity of, get this, 1225 wattsrms. Even he couldn't believe it. Also, it's supposed to be stable into any impedance load, and require a power supply much smaller than conventional A-B amps.I'm still not clear about the "seven power amps" claim. Maybe it really does have seven little power supplies in it(?)
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Hasn't it been made clear yet that many times the power rating used by manufacturers could be bogus? A cheapo Denon is not going to have 7 power supplies in it, nor will it have much power.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • ken brydson
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Hasn't it been made clear yet that many times the power rating used by manufacturers could be bogus? A cheapo Denon is not going to have 7 power supplies in it, nor will it have much power.

Especially at 18#...

• jeremymarcinko
    Options
    David7544 wrote: »
    I think this AVR has a new class of amp. "D3" I was told by a bestbuy tech , who brought up the electrical stuff about it on his computer screen, that it has a total output power capacity of, get this, 1225 wattsrms. Even he couldn't believe it. Also, it's supposed to be stable into any impedance load, and require a power supply much smaller than conventional A-B amps.I'm still not clear about the "seven power amps" claim. Maybe it really does have seven little power supplies in it(?)

Dream on Alice.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • F1nut
    edited November 2015
    Options
    David7544 wrote: »

It's class AB, not D3. It weighs 18 lbs. It's an entry level AVR. It has one really small power supply. It cannot drive any impedance load. It cannot output 1225 watts.

THE END.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Listen to the guy in the funny hat above. He knows his stuff. Actually, all the members have been spot on. This is an easier one to figure out. I can't believe it's taking 3 pages of posts.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,909
    Options
    D3 or what is commonly referred to as "ice amps" in receivers are a different animal. You would be correct in your assumption that ice amps hold their power ratings better when all channels of the AVR are used. Those avr's cost more money usually though, but you can still find them used for around 600 bucks. Pioneer SC series used like the SC25-SC07, but they won't have the networking capabilities of more current models....if that interests you.

They also are not stable at ANY impedance load, and are no replacement for a separate quality amplifier in harder to drive systems. They will drive a good majority of your average HT systems with speakers that aren't all that power hungry though.

Your RTIA5's are not a hard load to drive anyway and your Denon is fine in that task. To further improve your sound look into better cabling or source gear. If you plan on never doing surround sound, then I would question why you bought a surround sound receiver to begin with.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nickster
    Options
    I'm new to this world and do not know very much. But I have just purchased the floor-standing Polk A5s with Polk Center and Polk A5 Surrounds (in SIDE position). I am using a Denon AVR X3100W.

My question is this. What do you guys think is better for my overall experience out of the following 2 options...

1. Use my older BOSE 301 as the REAR Surrounds...? My room is big enough to add these.

2. OR is it better to use those REAR channels on the AMP to bi-amp the floor-standing A5s. (Use both the L/R and Surround L/R to the A5s).

Seems like from the rest of this post that your answer would be to go with Option 1?

Let me add one more question... as the Denon can handle 2 Subs do you recommend this and should i use my old Sub as the 'rear sub' even though it is a different make/model from my main polk sub?

Thank you for considering my questions...

I would much appreciate your thoughts....
  • F1nut
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Option 1

Depends, depends, depends...try it both ways and decide for yourself.

President of Club Polk

• soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,388
    Options
    KIDS, You buy them books and they sit in the corners and eat the covers
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • F1nut
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    You owe me an apology.

You think so huh? I thought you were kicked-off the forum? They let you back on?

Did you apologize to anyone for your abrasive behavior? I highly doubt it so I don't think anyone else should either.

lol

The difference between you and I is when I'm wrong about something I do what a man does, I admit it and apologize. You don't.

As you are back on the list now, feel free to post whatever. I'll never see it.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    Options
    Option 1 is my vote also, but to improve your over all experience greatly.....add a subwoofer with those speakers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nickster
    Options
    Thank you very much for the input! I tried Option 1 last night with mixed results. I am using Apple TV (4) - which says it supports 7.1. And 7.1 shows up on the front display of my Denon.... but with 5.1 iTunes movies thru the new Apple TV (4) nothing comes out of the rear surround speakers. If i play an iTunes 7.1 movie, then sound comes out of the Rear Surround speakers. There must be a bug in the Apple TV oS that was causing this behavior. If I play a 5.1 BluRay i get sound thru the rear surrounds. But not on an Apple TV iTunes 5.1 movie. Frustrating. I guess I will need to wait for Apple to issue a software update. It is a pity as I love the new Apple TV. Any thoughts?
  • tonyb
    Options
    Nah Nick, I have no experience with the Apple TV, maybe someone else can chime in as we have many users of Apple products.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nickster
    Options
    Thank you. A broader point... do you guys think the era of Bluray is coming to an end with the popularity of internet deliverable content. And a side point... with Sony 4K TV when will there actually be 4K content available and will it be internet deliverable or on fixed media? Thank you again, as I say, I am really new to this world.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,137
    Options
    4k physical media servers are already here, but I doubt you will see a 4k type disk player. Those days are gone, but vinyl is forever. B)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,736
    Options
    4k physical media servers are already here, but I doubt you will see a 4k type disk player. Those days are gone, but vinyl is forever. B)

4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray players are being released now.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/ultra-hd-blu-ray-everything-you-need-to-know
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    You owe me an apology.

You think so huh? I thought you were kicked-off the forum? They let you back on?

Did you apologize to anyone for your abrasive behavior? I highly doubt it so I don't think anyone else should either.

lol
    when Jesse feels the need to apologize, he sends Chuck Norris. Nothing says " I'm sorry" better than a full roundhouse kick to the skull. >:)o:):D
    You owe me an apology.

lol
    when Jesse feels the need to apologize, he sends Chuck Norris. Nothing says " I'm sorry" better than a full roundhouse kick to the skull. >:)o:):D
    Or SEAL Team Six....
  • tonyb
    Options
    nickster wrote: »
    Thank you. A broader point... do you guys think the era of Bluray is coming to an end with the popularity of internet deliverable content. And a side point... with Sony 4K TV when will there actually be 4K content available and will it be internet deliverable or on fixed media? Thank you again, as I say, I am really new to this world.

Sony probably has the most 4k material available right now on their media player. However, that player isn't cheap either....Samsung has their own version. Thing is, that 4k label will cost you money. Would you pay 30-50 bucks for a 4k movie on Blu-ray ? I wouldn't....I'm still waiting for broadcast TV to go full 1080P.

The internet has limited bandwidth.....as does streaming, so don't expect a big library of 4k material to be available soon. They want you to buy the material, not rent it or get it for free.

Blu-ray will still be around, just like plain old DVD players are. With the cost of a decent BRP these days being so cheap, it's not something that will break the bank if the technology ever bites the dust.

I maintain that....you don't buy a 4k tv for 4k viewing, you buy it for the upscaling of program material available today. So buy the tv with the best upscalers, and those are Sony and Samsung's 8-9000 series.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nickster
    Options
    Thank you. I am glad I got the Sony 4K as the upscaling seems pretty amazing. It is a 65" model and I love it. Viewing Blurays on it is great, but I sold the majority of my Bluray collection a few years ago thinking everything will go internet. I'm also a big Apple user and am fully in their system - so the apple tv makes sense for me. I have a few hundred purchased movies on that and with it offering 7.1 I'm sticking with it (even though the 7.1 does not work right). One more question. I have side surrounds but am not using the rear surrounds. But even without using the read surrounds it is still worthwhile to connect my second SUB (rear)?
  • tonyb
    Options
    That all depends on your preferences. Personally I'd rather have 2 subs up front than spread out front to back....providing they are the same subs. If not the same it can sound funky.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    That all depends on your preferences. Personally I'd rather have 2 subs up front than spread out front to back....providing they are the same subs. If not the same it can sound funky.

You know, I've been experimenting around with subwoofer placement and I like my system a little better with one PSW650 up front to the left and the other in the right rear (diagonal). It's not that they didn't sound good when I had them both up front though. I just like having some subsonics behind the seating.

I think having two pairs of SRTs up front help too.
  • tonyb
    Options
    You should get some buttkickers for under the couch then, rattle the nuts a bit. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    You should get some buttkickers for under the couch then, rattle the nuts a bit. lol

I don't think I could handle it. When I crank mine up now it vibrates the seats and makes my back itch. I have a wooden backscratcher in the drawer of the center console and I'm constantly grabbing it if it is up too high. I have to turn the rear sub down a tad so it doesn't drive me nuts. But boy does it sound good!
  • avalanche
    avalanche Posts: 7
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Howdy,
    I am new to this nice forum and came upon this discussion AFTER i "bi-amped" my polk RTI A3. I am using a YAMAHA 675 and it has been driving those speakers for 2 years. Feeling bored yesterday I bi-amped the speakers using the two back surround channels.
    I wouldn't swear on it, but I think it sounds better and louder. This is my opinion. It definately doesn't sound any worse so I am not reverting the change.

My question is, since you do not gain any more power by using the bi-amp mode in AVRs, why so many of them offer this option?

By the way, this is what the manual says clearly that when you use bi-amp connection tweeter and woofer are driven by two amplifiers resulting in clearer sound...
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,388
    Options
    Marketing
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • avalanche
    avalanche Posts: 7
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Marketing

file:///C:/Users/George/Downloads/web_YG260B0_EN_RX-A3040_RX-A2040_om_UCRABGLF_En%20(1).pdf

Yamaha manuals do not make any power benefit claims, but they say this setup offers better sound quality! Also it clearly says it is using four internal amplifiers. Are these false claims?

My ears seem to confirm these claims. Hope its not placebo..