Not liking the new forum layout

Comments

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    I have another suggestion. I personally don't like the column on the right. Plus, it stays at the top when you scroll down the page. I'd prefer the right column be moved to the bottom so the center column goes all the way to the right side of the page. But if they are going to keep it on the right side, how about this... Make it stationary, so it is always there even when you scroll down the page. Also use smaller text on the right column, so it will decrease the width of that column. That way the post/text area in the center can be wider. The way the right column is now, when you scroll down the page, the right column stays at the top and the whole right side of the page is wasted.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    xjghost said:

BlueFox said:

xjghost said:

BlueFox said:

Apparently, you cannot do multiple quotes when replying to a post.

Just GO BACK TO VBULLETIN, or whatever the previous software was. This home grown software is terrible. Having somebody with no experience with online forums create this home grown mess was a disaster.

Was this a government job given to the lowest bidder?

Yea you can you have to set the level.
    What does that mean?

Before you just went through a thread and checked each post you wanted to multiple quote. How do you do that now?

On the plus side, it appears you have 1 hour now to edit your post. Of course, other audio sites let you edit a post forever.
    Profile -> Edit Profile -> Quote Settings.

As for the one hour edit that is not uncommon on forums. It combats people saying one thing then editing it to say another. ;)
    That is why you quote a post, so that you can point out the original poster edited the post. The other three audio sites I use allow editing whenever.

Having to edit your profile to do multiple quotes is just stupid. Another reason to redo this aberration of a design.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    I like the fact that feedback is being recognized and changes are being made. Sigs are improved and the girl is gone. Both big improvements IMO.

Next step, widescreen???
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    ^^^And less white please. That is, more contrasting colors that are easier on the eyes.^^^
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Yeah this background is much better than the previous picture
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    I will say, I do like the way that Private Messages are show the entire conversation thread instead of individual messages.

Give us WIDE though...
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    A BIG THANK YOU to the powers that be at Polk and this forum!

I say this for two reasons -- first and foremost, because they have demonstrated their interest in (and faith in!) their customers/users by listening to them (us!).

... and, of course, for moving to a much more elegant background on the forum pages.

but it's the first part, to my mind, that's most important and impressive; and I wanted to call the "Polk folks" out (in a good way) for their interest and sensitivity.

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited August 2014
    I like the new background a lot. Modern, classy and showcases new products.

Easier on the eyes too without soo much white.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • hochpt21
    I am a member of the Pearl Jam forum and they made a switch about 6 months ago. Must be the same company, because it looked very similar to this one at the start.

But then they tweaked it over the next few weeks and it became much better. I'm hoping that's what they do here.

The biggest change I like is they put each individual post in their own bubble to make it much easier to tell when one post ended and another one began.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • billbillw
    OHHH, I just received a Badge for 5000 posts!
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2014
    First, an old joke, slightly modified to fit "us":
    Q: How many audiophiles does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: Change?!?!??

(whoa - "we" Seem to be back to BB software tags rather than HTML for, e.g., Italics?!)
    -
    I feel a need to "say" this: The "Polk folks" have a challenge that's a little different than the ones I face. Polk wants to be (needs to be) relevant and desireable to new markets; a "demographic" that they don't necessarily appeal to a priori. This forum is, or may be, a key tool in (re) establishing the brand as one that features great customer and product support as well as great products.

Polk changes/updates the forum (at, I imagine, the cost of considerable professional time, and thus expense). The forum's existing user base -- who are, as someone pointed out, predominantly old guys :-P -- find lots to complain about. Some of our complaints are (or seem to be) very valid, some of 'em are probably just reactions to change (and, oh yeah, I have my share of "complaints" -- I am not a detached, objective commentator!).

but...

Polk needs to use this forum as a tool for a market I don't understand. My quibbles and comments, by and large ain't a-gonna help much.

BUT...

the Polk folks are listening. And, I'd like to think, they're thinking... about their existing customers as well as the ones that aren't even here yet. ...and they're acting.

And that makes me (still) feel very good about Polk and its commitment to its customers/fans. And I'm encouraged.

THanks for listening; I'm gettin' off my soapbox now :-)

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Please, please get rid of the bright white background! I've been reading the forum for 10 minutes, & am leaving now since my eyes are killing me & I feel a headache coming on.
  • I don't think it is bad at all. Perhaps your brightness is set to high on your screen.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • I feel the new format would benefit from more pop-up's and blinking lights. It's all a bit drab, wouldn't you say?
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • hochpt21
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Please, please get rid of the bright white background! I've been reading the forum for 10 minutes, & am leaving now since my eyes are killing me & I feel a headache coming on.

I think if they put every post in a gray box (kinda like the quote box and just make the quote boxes a bit darker)....that would help a ton.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    I noticed it doesn't have our join dates anymore.....just # of posts which is misleading.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    I noticed it doesn't have our join dates anymore.....just # of posts which is misleading.

If you click on the same you see it. Your's is July 2003...

• simm
    simm Posts: 562
    I would like to see the time a post was made instead of just the date. Looks like the time shows only for the current day right now.
  • billbillw

But hey, you have the "ancient membership badge" which is way better ;)
  • Just this minute, I recieved a First Anniversary Badge, yet I have been here 22 months.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    billbillw wrote: »

But hey, you have the "ancient membership badge" which is way better ;)

Ehh, sonny?
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Just this minute, I recieved a First Anniversary Badge, yet I have been here 22 months.

You'll get your 2nd anniversary badge in a couple months. I got 1st thru 9th badges in one fell swoop.

Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • Hermitism
    I'm confused as to which thread to report problems. I've been using this one, so...

When I am writing a post and someone else posts before me, but while I'm viewing the page, their post won't show up even after I post my comments. My new post will show up, but I have to refresh the page to see if someone else posted before I did.
  • mhardy6647
    So - I am going to use this one, too.
    - I am still perplexed by the "Recent Discussions" link. Here is a screenshot, taken moments ago.

15001848672_33798fb157_b.jpgPolk forum recent post screenshot 082214 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

so... riddle me this.

The top entry has "no new posts"; the last activity was at "8:06 PM" (that must be coordinated universal time; i.e., "GMT"). The next thread down is flagged as having one new post (at 8:02 pm).

Now... if the last post to the penultimate thread was at 8:02 PM, and it is "new"... how can the last post to the top thread, at 8:06 PM, NOT BE NEW???

Perhaps I am over-thinking this?

In all seriousness, I just wanna know what's new (there are seemingly randomly distributed "x new" flags scattered throughout the "recent discussions" view).

Help me Obie-Wan!
  • Hermitism
    I was talking about that earlier and couldn't figure it out. The yellow "new" tags I think only apply to threads you have viewed/opened at one time. Those yellow tags don't show up for threads you have never looked in before. I THINK.
  • Hermitism
    I want to know why this thread no longer shows up in Recent Discussions.
  • mhardy6647
    yup, that's the corollary question, indeed.
    I am posting to it now to observe its behavior in the field -- I am nothing if not an empiricist.

No buxom female photos to share, so I'll go with a different kind of eye candy...

14979459776_744ed07074_b.jpgDSC_9817 by mhardy6647, on Flickr
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    My only issue is posts seem to flow together...too much? As in, I don't really know when one post ends and the next begins without looking to the left. I think the dividing line between posts needs to darker than the line between the post and the sig or reply area.

I would also like to see a dark line that differentiates between the sticky threads and the active threads.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited August 2014
    Bump. To see if it goes to top of Recent Discussions from page 7.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.