Just got my first taste of high(er) end speaker cables...

Options
HTguru1982
HTguru1982 Posts: 1,066
So recently, Pepster hooked me up with some Nordost Flatline speaker cables to try out. I have been using Monster Ultra 600 THX cables for the last 4 years and was always pretty happy with them, especially for how little I paid for them. The Nordosts are considerably more expensive but still within the realm of affordability, for most. $200-$300, which unfortunately is more than my significant other will let me spend on cables. Gonna be sad when I send them back :(

So how do they sound? Well, they smoke the Monsters - just a better cable period. I've gone back and forth between the two, and there is simply more detail to be had with the Nordost. When I hooked the Monsters back up, it seemed like I put a blanket over the speakers. I don't know how I lived with these cables for so long lol.

Unfortunately for me, the Nordost cables are out of my price range. After I send these back to Pep, I'll be looking for something better albeit more affordable. Can anyone recommend something in the sub $100 range?
Display: Sony 42" LCD
Sources: Harman Kardon DVD-27,
Panasonic DMP-BDT110 blu ray player
AVR: Sony STR-DA2400ES
Amps: Sonance Sonamp 260(fronts),
Kenwood KM-894(surrounds)
Fronts: NHT 2.5
Center: NHT VS-1.2A
Surrounds: NHT Super One
Subwoofer: SVS PB10-ISD
Post edited by HTguru1982 on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Speaker cables are tough for under 100. Heck, most of us spend that on IC'S if not double and triple that. I would suggest getting some bulk Canare wire if your budget is that tight....either use bare wire ends or terminate yourself.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Pepster? How is he doing? I think Audioquest or Bluejeans may have have something for you
  • HTguru1982
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Thanks. I'm looking at bluejeanscable.com right now. Is there any particular reason to opt for the Canare over the Belden? My system is going to need a complete overhaul, cable-wise. It's all Monster. I know, I know...
  • HTguru1982
    edited August 2014
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Pepster? How is he doing? I think Audioquest or Bluejeans may have have something for you

Seems like he's doing fine. I found ad of his on Craigslist for some NHT speakers and after texting with him a bit, we realized we were both on the forum. I wasn't able to buy his speakers unfortunately but he was kind enough to send these Nordost cables to try out, as well a very nice Better Cables subwoofer Y splitter(to keep!).

I'm hoping to be able to purchase some speaker cables within the next week or so. Probably need 25 feet for my front 3. It will be a few months before I can piece together the rest. Sticking to a budget sucks. Blue Jeans is looking very promising.
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    edited August 2014
    Options
    HTguru1982 wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm looking at bluejeanscable.com right now. Is there any particular reason to opt for the Canare over the Belden? My system is going to need a complete overhaul, cable-wise. It's all Monster. I know, I know...

Belden is a professional product. There is more Belden around than anything else for a reason. The reason is a professional company with a responsive design department that makes product to fill need. Tough, durable and available.

On the other hand, Belden literally makes fun of "audiophiles" (presented in a distastful way) for believing you hear differences (laughing inserted here by their spokesperson) in cable. The exact opposite of what you've just experienced for yourself. As a result, I find Belden to be just as distasteful as I do the monster lawsuit company. Not because the product is necessarily bad in most cases, just that their professional approach does not result in a product that goes above and beyond. Which I want my audio to do. I find that buying a product made from a company that makes fun of me and what I've found to be the real results to be counter to my choices and where I want my money to be.

Canare is a company that cares and builds a nice product. If you buy measurements, then the right choices from either of those companies for the situation, will result in reasonable results in either case. If you want to buy music, then look for companies that make music to your ears. It's extremely rewarding when you find it!

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    edited August 2014
    Options
    if I can ask here, for normal 2 channel cable, is the 4S8 the one to get? and if so, I assume the two like-colored conductors go in each terminal? I desperately need new speaker cable, but like the OP am on a tight budget.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Tell Pep we all say hello. I hope he is doing well and wish him nothing but the best.

Great forum member and I was very sad to see him go, but totally understand the reasons for it.

I'd drink with him anyday!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • HTguru1982
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I will let Pep know. I don't fully know why he left but I'm sure he had his reasons. Definitely a great guy to talk to. So, right now, the Canare 4S11 is the cable to look at, yes? It seems to be well within my budget. Would it be beneficial to run my surrounds with this or am I okay to continue using this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rca-DT100SW-100-FT-Digital-Speaker-Wire-16-AWG-Oxygen-Free-Copper-/161210862790?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2588ea8cc6
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I'd use canare for your surrounds as well. If I could I would.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Thanks for telling Pepster hello from us. I think he is a nice guy and I hope he is doing well. Hope to see him back on the forum sometime.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited August 2014
    Options
    headrott wrote: »
    Thanks for telling Pepster hello from us. I think he is a nice guy and I hope he is doing well. Hope to see him back on the forum sometime.

Same here. I miss his beer induced posts. :smile:
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    edited August 2014
    Options
    So, just why did he leave? Seemed pretty childish canceling his membership and all.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Apexpro
    Apexpro Posts: 97
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I had a good friend - Don Boone, rest his soul, who was an EE and sound engineer and owned a company that wired theaters; from high school auditoriums to our $65million preforming arts center. Don had $tens of thousands invested in equipment to sonically map rooms and test sound in every form known to man.

One weekend we decided to use his array of equipment to test speaker wire. Don already knew the answer, but he humored me. Back in the mid/late 1980s I'd spent literally 80+ hours hand winding speaker wire when it was in fashion to braid wires to eliminate all sorts of demonic electrical crosstalk that 'ruined the sound of quality speakers'. Neither our ears or his equipment - that could measure way beyond what a human can hear - could detect the slightest bit of difference in my creations, Monster cable, twisted copper speaker wire from Radio Shack, and solid copper wire (as long as the gauge was sufficient to carry the current over the distance). We used his McIntosh amp and my Polk SDA 2s for the test.

Since that day I've used 12/2 Romex...12ga. annealed solid copper wire. It's a bit difficult to work with, it needs to be hidden since it's bright yellow, but it carries a great signal and even in today's metals market you can buy it for about $1 a foot. Cheaper in larger quantities. And every time I see that wire, or re-tell this I think of Don and the valuable lesson he took the time to teach me.
    - Please don't clean up my mess. You'll only confuse me.

APC 1500, Furman Rack Rider, Cambridge Audio Dac Magic Plus, Parasound P/HP 850, Adcom GTP-880, Luxman M-300, Threshold 400A Cascode, McIntosh MC2505, MC2205, MR-71, MX-113, Sony TA-3200F, Tascam 112 MKII, Sony TC-D5 Pro, Tascam CD-200, Thorens TD-147, Kenwood KT-5500, Kenwood KT-7500, Realistic Minimus Sevens, Behringer MS40s, Boston Acoustics A40s, JBL 830Ts, 'Double' Advent Loudspeakers, Klipsch KSW12 sub, Bose 901s, Polk SDA 2s, Polk SDA 1Cs
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Apexpro wrote: »
    I had a good friend - Don Boone, rest his soul, who was an EE and sound engineer and owned a company that wired theaters; from high school auditoriums to our $65million preforming arts center. Don had $tens of thousands invested in equipment to sonically map rooms and test sound in every form known to man.

One weekend we decided to use his array of equipment to test speaker wire. Don already knew the answer, but he humored me. Back in the mid/late 1980s I'd spent literally 80+ hours hand winding speaker wire when it was in fashion to braid wires to eliminate all sorts of demonic electrical crosstalk that 'ruined the sound of quality speakers'. Neither our ears or his equipment - that could measure way beyond what a human can hear - could detect the slightest bit of difference in my creations, Monster cable, twisted copper speaker wire from Radio Shack, and solid copper wire (as long as the gauge was sufficient to carry the current over the distance). We used his McIntosh amp and my Polk SDA 2s for the test.

Since that day I've used 12/2 Romex...12ga. annealed solid copper wire. It's a bit difficult to work with, it needs to be hidden since it's bright yellow, but it carries a great signal and even in today's metals market you can buy it for about $1 a foot. Cheaper in larger quantities. And every time I see that wire, or re-tell this I think of Don and the valuable lesson he took the time to teach me.

POPCORN HERE!!!! Get your POPCORN!!!!

I used to thing 16ga lamp cord was just as good as everything else too. I was wrong, and so are you.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I'm an EE and skeptical of anything....and until then doubted the hype of cabling in audio systems - until I tried a pair of Ben's ICs for my phono pre and had the WTF NFW moment.

Since then I have experimented with other cabling and had similar repeatable results.

Cabling does make a difference. Does my testimony 'cancel out' Apexpro's non-sense?

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    qzf76elhqblo.jpg

I had Doug from Douglass Connections make me some cables for my M10's, but for my 4's I made my own using his Furez 12 awg cable and added some sleeve's I got from ebay & a little shrink wrap and banana plugs!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    Canare 4S11 presents great detail, but can be pretty bright. They may sound a bit harsh to some -- e.g., my wife.

You might also try Supra Rondo 4x2.5.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Apexpro
    Apexpro Posts: 97
    Options
    Canare 4S11

Where's the best place to buy Supra Rondo? I've seen it on eBay, but I'm hoping there is a better source in the USA. International freight can get expensive.
    - Please don't clean up my mess. You'll only confuse me.

APC 1500, Furman Rack Rider, Cambridge Audio Dac Magic Plus, Parasound P/HP 850, Adcom GTP-880, Luxman M-300, Threshold 400A Cascode, McIntosh MC2505, MC2205, MR-71, MX-113, Sony TA-3200F, Tascam 112 MKII, Sony TC-D5 Pro, Tascam CD-200, Thorens TD-147, Kenwood KT-5500, Kenwood KT-7500, Realistic Minimus Sevens, Behringer MS40s, Boston Acoustics A40s, JBL 830Ts, 'Double' Advent Loudspeakers, Klipsch KSW12 sub, Bose 901s, Polk SDA 2s, Polk SDA 1Cs
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Apexpro wrote: »
    Canare 4S11

Where's the best place to buy Supra Rondo? I've seen it on eBay, but I'm hoping there is a better source in the USA. International freight can get expensive.

Contact Trey at Vr3 Mods, and he will be able to help you. You might try PMing him.

I just checked eBay: $16.50/meter with free postage.That's less than $5.50 per foot.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    I don't understand how people can claim to hear no difference in speaker cables. I just tried AQ CV 4s for about a month and then a pair of AQ Slates showed up yesterday. In short the CV 4s are gone and the Slates are staying. I have also found bi wire is the way to go vs. any type of jumper. There are a ton of used AQs out there worth trying....but I guess you have to actually listen to your gear to hear a difference. The romex for speaker wire idea is a bad one and usually used on real audio forums to start an argument vs. actual discussion.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Have to say the Canare 4S11 is very well made. Reminds me of heavy duty SJ Power Cabling. Terminations can be tricky, but with a little creativity, and some color coded heat shrink tubing, it comes out very nice and professional looking. I did my 2As, and Center Channel. I may redo my surrounds and backs with the smaller gauge. It's also excellent for custom SDA Interconnects.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/