need more power!!!

jdeal
jdeal Posts: 16
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
I am building a HT system and went with the cs400 center, f/x500i surrounds, and rt2000i fronts. I am still waiting for the rt's to arrive. So far I have hooked up the center, and found that my Pioneer 710, which is rated at 500w per channel, is more like 10. I talked to a few dealers and was told a wide range of stories on what I really needed. Some say that I just have a crappy brand/model and their yamaha, denon...etc. can power these. One said no way, I need to go pre/power amp with the setup I have. I do not want to buy a component system so... is there a 100/110/120W reciever that will move these without a second on my house? Any help here would be great!

Sorry guys! 500 w per channel is wrong, 100 w per channel x 5 channel = 500 w. I went to best buy were I got this receiver to see if the display had more power, meaning mine is just defective. Nope, I turned their reciever ALL THE WAY UP, and could have had a quiet dinner party in front of the speaker. :confused: Pioneer should be::o . The model # is vsx-710s. Thanks for the help. Any more comments would be appreciated
Post edited by jdeal on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2002
    I think that some receiver makers advertise falsely when they say their equipment is 500watts or 1500 watts. i find that most receivers today are usually rated between 50 wpc on the low end to 200 wpc. i'd be real leary of some brand that claims 500wpc and up. maybe they meant 500watts = 100wpc X 5 that would make more sense to me.

My little Marantz receiver is only rated at 70wpc x 5 but it can run everything I have hooked up to it. yeah somewhat underpowered.. but it of course would sound better if it was up closer to say.. 125wpc, no doubt about that. But at the time i couldn't afford a 125wpc Marantz and still keep food on the table. So i'm adding mono block amps.. (arriving this Saturday, i hope).. to add 124wpc and hopefully kick my system into overdrive.

I firmly believe that if you buy a quality brand name receiver or component system... such at Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, Pioneer Elite etc, you'll see that they may say they receiver are rated at 105 wpc, but those are real and at a sustained level.. not 100 X5=500watts.

I would think you may want to look to adding an amp to your system and see if that helps drive your nice Polks or not.
    good luck guy!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited March 2002
    Do you have the HTP-710? If so it is 100 watts per channel, 6 channels. It should power you speakers with no problem.

From Pioneer: 

HTP-710DVD Home Theater System MSRP: $800

Powered by a high-end AV receiver, the HTP-710 home theater surround sound system is supremely suited to reproduce high-quality, multi-channel audio-both for movies and music. The system's centerpiece, the VSX-D810S A/V receiver, features Dolby Digital, DTS, and DTS-ES matrix surround sound decoding and 100 Watts of power to each of six channels, for powerful, detailed reproduction of movie soundtracks. Advanced Theater modes and Digital Sound Processing let you customize the system's sound based on what you're watching, and allow you to create your own sound environment. And the seven speakers- two front and two rear speakers, front and rear center channel speakers, and a self-powered 100-Watt subwoofer- are acoustically matched so you get all of a movie's or CD's detail. The system is also ready for DVD-Audio, an emerging, multi-channel music format that surpasses the CD in sound quality. The system also features a smart remote that learns other remotes' functions.
    Chris :)
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2002
    jdeal welcome to the forum. you'll learn a lot from the guys here. enjoy
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • jdeal
    jdeal Posts: 16
    edited March 2002
    WOW! :D I ordered my speakers from a dealer in L. A., paid $1139 delivered. Was a little skeptical about ordering them without seeing them first, but it worked out fine. Anyway, I hooked them up to my reciever and found that the power is better than I expected. It is still not great, but O.K. I replaced some monitor 2 bookshelf with these. I plan to get the f/x500i's wired up tonight. Now I really need help setting these things up. Sounds like the calibration dvd is a must have. Are there any better ones than the AVIA?
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited March 2002
    Yes there is video essential's,its about the same as the Avia but you might like it better.
    You have a nice system,if the receiver isn't working out for you and you like Pioneer ,you might want to check out the Pioneer Elite vsx49tx, and the vsx47tx.They will power your system to ungod likelevels.the amp is rated at 130x7 into a 8 ohm load,that is what your system is(8 ohms).The Pioneer Elite line is the best it has ever been.The new receiver's are stacked and can set up your audio system for you.You will still need to blend your mains yourself(the sub) but the rest will auto calibrate.Test these receiver's and tell me what you think.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.