Upcoming Led Zeppelin reissues

Comments

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    edited June 2014
    OK, you guys have talked me into buying all 3 deluxe versions. A good use of my birthday $$.
    These will be the 1st music played on my new to me 2 channel rig in the game room. Looking forward to a night of Led & Brew.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited June 2014
    The vinyl copies I ordered arrived tomorrow. Time for a vinyl shoot out with the original Japanese pressings I own.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited June 2014
    My CD's arrived today from Japan, no scuffs or scratches on the discs. So far, so good.

First listen to Zep I, too EFFING bright....AGH!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited June 2014
    F1nut wrote: »
    My CD's arrived today from Japan, no scuffs or scratches on the discs. So far, so good.

And just WHAT did you expect for them 70yo trashed ears of Jimmy Page...They (reissues) would be so much better if they would let someone with better ears work on them.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited June 2014

Jesse, the new remaster sounds (to my ears) just as bright as the unremastered (Diament) Zep I (which granted sounds on the bright side). I haven't heard the mini LP Japanese box set, so I cannot compare to those. I believe Zep I was recorded/mixed on the bright side and it wasn't due to messing with the EQ during the mastering (IMO). Give III a try, I think you will be pleased.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • F1nut
    edited June 2014
    Ok, II and III are better, but still seem a bit hot. I also picked up the SHM-SACD of Brothers In Arms, it's what I was hoping these Zep remasters would sound like.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited June 2014
    And just WHAT did you expect for them 70yo trashed ears of Jimmy Page...They (reissues) would be so much better if they would let someone with better ears work on them.

These are noted as Mastering: John Davis. Maybe his ears are as shot as Page's.

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    edited June 2014
    Ok, II and III are better, but still seem a bit hot. I also picked up the SHM-SACD of Brothers In Arms, it's what I was hoping these Zep remasters would sound like.

Yeah, Zep I was recorded and mixed "hot" I believe. The higher resolution and detail make it even more apparent on these remasters. I still need to listen to II.

How is the SHM-SACD of Brothers In Arms? Have you compared it to the MFSL SACD? I would definately be interested in the comparison.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • F1nut
    edited June 2014
    It sounds very good. I don't think I have the MFSL version, gotta check.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited June 2014
    No to the MSFL, but I do have the original Universal SACD. I'll compare them another day.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited June 2014
    Ok, note to self. Never listen to music right after waking up.

So, for the last 30 minutes I've been comparing the SHM Zep I to the new 2014 remaster, the one that I said earlier was too EFFING bright. I was wrong, it's not.

The SHM is actually louder at the same volume control level, so I level matched the 2 CD's with maximum peaks at 88dB. I used the first song, Good Times Bad Times. The 2014 has much more air and you can hear further into the recording. However, there is a slightest bit of sibilance to Plant's vocals here and there, but it's really not too bad and the bass isn't quite as deep as the 2014. Based on this one song tonight I prefer the new 2014 as the SHM seems a bit flat in comparision.

That's my new story and I'm sticking to it.

Forgot to say, the 2014 sound stage is bigger/wider as well.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited June 2014
    Hey Greg, did you get the really cool miniature decals with your order?

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    edited June 2014
    Yeah! Great addition with the Japanese versions! I wouldn't say it makes or breaks the order, but still very cool.

Zep I is still the brightest sounding of the 3 albums (IMO due to the recording itself). I was suprised by your initial impressions. Glad you are enjoying the 2014's now. These 2014's are the ones to have.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited June 2014

So, for the last 30 minutes I've been comparing the SHM Zep I to the new 2014 remaster, the one that I said earlier was too EFFING bright. I was wrong, it's not.

The SHM is actually louder at the same volume control level, so I level matched the 2 CD's with maximum peaks at 88dB. I used the first song, Good Times Bad Times. The 2014 has much more air and you can hear further into the recording. However, there is a slightest bit of sibilance to Plant's vocals here and there, but it's really not too bad and the bass isn't quite as deep as the 2014. Based on this one song tonight I prefer the new 2014 as the SHM seems a bit flat in comparision.

So, you are starting to wake up. If you think the CDs are good then you should hear the 96/24 high-res files the low res CD and album were made from. :smile:
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited June 2014
    headrott wrote: »
    Yeah! Great addition with the Japanese versions!
    Greg why did you opt for the Japanese versions?
  • F1nut
    edited June 2014
    I can answer that one. The US versions do not have a plastic inner sleeve to protect the CD, so the CD rubs on the cardboard, which is causing scuffs/scratches before you ever take it out of the holder. The Japanese versions come with the plastic sleeves, so there's no damage to the disc.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited June 2014
    If you think the CDs are good then you should hear the 96/24 high-res files

No worries, upsampled to 24/192.

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    edited June 2014
    I can answer that one. The US versions do not have a plastic inner sleeve to protect the CD, so the CD rubs on the cardboard, which is causing scuffs/scratches before you ever take it out of the holder. The Japanese versions come with the plastic sleeves, so there's no damage to the disc.

Tru Dat! :smile:
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited June 2014
    OK thanks Jesse,thats a nice added touch.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited June 2014

So what are your thoughts on II & III?
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • carvcom
    carvcom Posts: 240
    edited July 2014
    The only Zep vinyl I was missing was II, so I bought the re-issue last week.
    I must say I am truly impressed!
    My ears are so screwed up that records either sound good or bad, but this album sounds great!
    Now the only thing to do is replace my older copies of I & III.

Cheers
  • BlueFox
    edited July 2014
    No worries, upsampled to 24/192.

Great. Glad you are familiar with the concept. My DAC up samples to 1.5MHz and 32 bit. :smile:

"their multi-core, ARM 9–based Sanctuary processor runs at 500Mips and is used in the Vega to upsample PCM input data to approximately 1.5MHz and 32-bit depth,"

http://www.stereophile.com/content/auralic-vega-da-processor

Maybe the best $3500 I have spent on music in some time. Listening to my LZ playlist now, and it is Ledelicious.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    edited July 2014
    But you don't tubes in it.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited July 2014
    nspindel wrote: »
    So what are your thoughts on II & III?

Excellent

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    edited July 2014
    Just listened to Led Zeppelin I again. Good Lord this sounds phenominal! The clarity, detail, stereo separation (soundstage) are fantastic! As importantly, on Led Zeppelin I, the spacing between tracks is perfect! It was not "messed around" with at all. Lastly, the frequencies are phenominally done! The high end is not exaggerated, and is (IMO) as it is on the original master. The midrange is superb, and the low end is superb. The bass is so tight it's rediculous.

I love this remaster (Led Zeppelin I)! Go "out" and buy the Japanese version(s) now!
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• F1nut
    edited July 2014
    ^This^

Listening to II right now.....for the second time in a row. Amazing!!!

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    edited July 2014
    That means you gotta listen to III three times in a row Jesse. :razz:
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• BlueFox
    edited July 2014
    Glad you guys like the CDs. When you eventually move into high-res music you will be even more amazed at how well these releases sound at 96/24 vs. 44/16.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited July 2014
    headrott wrote: »
    Just listened to Led Zeppelin I again. Good Lord this sounds phenominal! The clarity, detail, stereo separation (soundstage) are fantastic! As importantly, on Led Zeppelin I, the spacing between tracks is perfect! It was not "messed around" with at all. Lastly, the frequencies are phenominally done! The high end is not exaggerated, and is (IMO) as it is on the original master. The midrange is superb, and the low end is superb. The bass is so tight it's rediculous.

I love this remaster (Led Zeppelin I)! Go "out" and buy the Japanese version(s) now!

Where does one get the Japanese version of the re-issues?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • F1nut
    edited July 2014

President of Club Polk