RTi4 Eats Tweeters

murweb
murweb Posts: 3
edited June 2014 in Forum Testing Area
I have an RTi4 monitor that eats tweeters. I have replaced the tweeter a couple of times: it works for a while and then
completely dies. Is this a crossover problem? Can it be fixed?
Thanks!
Post edited by murweb on

Comments

• murweb
    murweb Posts: 3
    edited June 2014
    Pretty good guess, it was a Denon and now a lower-end Sony, but of all the various speakers I have, it's only the one monitor.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited June 2014
    turn it down you might be asking too much from those
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited June 2014
    Wrong forum, mods should move this thread please.

And yes, it is VERY unlikely that there is anything wrong with the speaker. You are overdriving/underpowering it. Either turn it down or buy a better receiver or better yet a 2 channel amp and then you can crank it all you want...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Wouldn't a shorted capacitor send LF signal to the tweeter in addition to the HF signal it's supposed to receive?
  • I agree its likely too little power at a given volume, but perhaps the initial occurrence also damaged the crossover. It doesn't seem likely that the same monitor is the only one being affected, unless something else is going on.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • I can't say with 100% certainty that it is only one box that has the problem since I haven't tried switching the two monitors around; but just to lower the expectations appropriately, I am a musician, not an audiophile. As such I may have accidentally played a synthesizer through this speaker which I know they are not built to handle; and from now on I will be more careful.
    Thanks for everyone who replied.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2014
    I've been running two RTi-4s and a sub as part of my bedroom system for two or three years on an Onkyo TX-SR 604 (25.1 lbs. 90 watts per channel). And haven't had even ONE hiccup in that time.

It is a GOOD idea to switch speakers and see if the problem follows the speaker because then it would be your RECEIVER!

BTW, Rti tweeters are VERY robust and have a special heat sink to handle HIGH POWER!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]