Polkfest, 9 Oct 2004, Charleston SC- be there!!!

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited July 2004
    The official Sprint PCS wireless laptop will be present and in full effect :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2004
    COOOOOOLLLLLLLL !!!

I'm sure I may have asked once...but of the folks coming, how much interest in HT is there? 2ch only??

What does everybody want to hear?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2004
    I am interested in HT if we can watch this Donkey video I have....it's in 6.1 ;)

HT is cool, but 2CH is my interest.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited July 2004
    All about the music I'd think....
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited July 2004
    Whatever works SHOW IT OFF :D

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited July 2004
    How about we start off with 2 channel and see what time we have left for HT.

Let's go with the flow!

John
    No excuses!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited July 2004
    Yeah....what John said....
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited July 2004
    2 Channel
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    edited July 2004
    Well, my thoughts are that as far as HT, mine is probably not as squared away as most everyone elses's so I figgered that I'd unhook it completely and move a rack out front making it easier to swap components and so forth....

Just thinking logistics and set up.....

BDT
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited July 2004
    I am interested in hearing some diff players/transports, outboard DAC's different amps, pre's, and cabling. Also, hearing some diff music than I normally do.

Seeing who chunks up first is also high on my list, camera ready, but could be me:confused: who knows.

An HT pre with a neutral pass through for tunes would be good to hear if anyone has one.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2004
    F Ht.

There was 'moderate' HT interest for the last Texas Gathering, but once we all got going, no one wanted anything other than 2ch.

It's your show boss, you do what you want to do, I'm behind ya either way.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited July 2004
    Well, the layout of the house is this....

In the mancave, I'll have the Amazings. We can swap amps/pres/sources in there reasonably easy. The only issue in the cave, really, is space. It's an intimate setting (not hoosier's idea of 'intimate' either)

The living room is quite a bit bigger, I've got the 2.3tl's in there. I thought I'd set up a temporary rack in front of the TV and we can swap out gear pretty easy in that scenario. We can also fit more people in for a demo....

Anyhow, just getting people's thoughts and so forth. Like I said, my HT is nothing to really brag about.

BDT
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited July 2004
    Damn, this sounds like a good time. Nothing like a projectile vomit contest. Unfortunately, it's a bit too far of a drive.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited July 2004
    Just can't wait too post some pictures of this :eek: ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• TroyD
    edited July 2004
    Ok, just going through the posts and wanted to just give an abreviated update on what's going on...

Atendees:

hotwheelman, shack, dorokusai, F1Nut , john d strong, ATCVenom, madmax, Russman , gidrah, Grimster74, disneyjoe7, Terrax, reeltrouble1, hoosier21, Sid and Dezi ( Sid and Nancy?)....

I've also got for or five buddies local that will come by.

Gear that I have lined up:

Speaks:
    Carver Amazings, SDA SRS 2.3tl's, LSi9's, AR-3a's, (should have) Montior 7C's, Rt55i/RT25i/Large Advents(shack)

Pre's: CJ PV7 (tube), Carver C-16, Dynaco Pat-4, Sunfire TG pre/pro

Amps: Carver Silver 9t's, TFM-45, m400a, m200t, Audiosource, NAD (shack), CTC BBQ (dorokusai)

Sources - AMC CD8b, ADC 16/2, Cambridge Audio (shack)

Additionally, depending on if one of my friends shows, we could have some add'l high tone gear....more to follow.

IMO, it may SOUND like we have a lot but I think that if people want to bring more stuff, it will see action.

SACD/DVDA - if anyone out there has a unit that they want to bring and some demo material I think that would be cool!

As far as a timetable goes (and I'm looking for input here)

Friday night is pretty open. I plan on something simple like grilling out burgers/hotdogs/chicken or what have you. As people filter in, come on over and we'll have a few beers and we can discuss the setup and layout. Then the booze comes out. As far as the minors go, if Sid and Dezi come, I'd like thier chaperone there as well.

Saturday: Saturday AM, get all the gear in place and so forth. As far as a timetable, I was thinking, oh, 10 AM start? That'll give the hangovers time to REALLY kick in.

***FOOD*** What do you guys think? You guys want to order pizzas? I can get pulled pork BBQ catered? Finger foods? Looking for inputs on that.

As far as a closing timetable, pfffffft, we can demo until midnight for all I care.

Sunday. For those that want to play golf, I'll reserve some T-times at a nearby course. I was thinking Wescott Plantation is nice. It's about 3 miles from my house and is a pretty nice course. Cost is about 40 bucks with cart. If we want cheaper, the River Club is about the same distance, around 20 with a cart. It has a nice layout but the conditions are hit or miss. Whatever you guys want.

Reel talked about bringing his boat, if people want to go boating, there are a couple public boat ramps with access to the Ashley River nearby. I SHOULD have some local folks lined up with a little more knowledge than I do.

By Monday morning sometime, I want all you mofos out! (Just kidding)

Ok, looking for input and feedback guys...

BDT
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited July 2004
    I'll bring the NHT SB-3's and maybe the RTA 15TL's if there is interest. Perhaps a few other pieces too. I'm down with the BBQ as long as it's southern style..none of that red sauce stuff.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    edited July 2004
    I, for one, am VERY interested in hearing the RTA 15tl's.....

No sissy BBQ here.

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2004
    I'll bring some sort of tube line stage. Either the Melos SHA-1, or my little ASL Line Stage.

I'll bring a small, Europe made NAD 902, and maybe the Audire Crescendo amp. We need option.

Don't forget to 'cable up' either guys, whatever you've got, bring at least 2 pair to setup an amp / pre / source.

Food? Whatever floats everyone's boat is fine with me. I won't golf, but I'll happily pay for a cart, and drive and heckle you guys.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited July 2004
    Good point on the wires and IC's.....I'm pretty limited in that department.

BDT
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2004
    I can bring the Anthem Pre-2L(Mullard) and the Sony SCD-555ES SACD.

The MIT S3 Shotgun's are coming down, as well as damn near everything Signal Cable offers.

I'm all for a boat trip, and food is flexible to me. If you source the catering, let me know what the cost is, and I'll contribute funds.

I will golf, but I'm only bringing one club :)

We need lots of people to get motivated, and committed. This is a golden opportunity to step up and hear things you never have before. Wake up Polk Forum! :D
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2004
    You know what Doro, I'll golf too, one-club style, either you can bring one for me - or I'll stop by a pawn-o-matic in Troy's neck of the woods and buy one.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2004
    Russ - I got you covered Hoss.
  • TroyD
    edited July 2004
    Oh, I think we can cover Russ in the golf club thing.

Far as the food goes, you guys come down, the least I can do is provide the food and beverages. You guys just let me know what you prefer.

BDT
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited July 2004
    Looking over the list of stuff people are bringing, I'll throw this in. Let me know.

LSi7's and Carver m1.5t amp

I can bring either or both items. Let me know guys. The rest of my gear is surround related and my SRS 2.3's. Troy done got a pair and I'm not toting them heavy **** things down there!

Mark and Jesse, guess we'll discuss the traveling arrangements when i'm down your way on the 31st.

John
    No excuses!
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2004
    Bring it on Strong Bad.

If nothing else, I'll supply the Tube Line Stage for YOUR rig... we'll set it up.

Stands would be a plus, if that's doable.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • TroyD
    edited July 2004
    Stands I got...

BDT
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2004
    How about an updated list of gear since we have added some goodies.... this is looking like a real electrical hazard :D
  • TroyD
    edited July 2004
    Speaks:
    Carver Amazings, SDA SRS 2.3tl's, LSi9's, AR-3a's, (should have) Montior 7C's, Rt55i/RT25i/Large Advents(shack), LSi7's (john), NHT Sb-3's, RTA15tl's (F1)

Pre's: CJ PV7 (tube), Carver C-16, Dynaco Pat-4, Sunfire TG pre/pro , MELOS SHA-1 or ASL tube pre (Russ), Anthem Pre-2L (dorokusai)

Amps: Carver Silver 9t's, TFM-45, m400a, m200t, Audiosource, NAD (shack), CTC BBQ (dorokusai), NAD 902/Audire (Russ), Carver m1.5t (john)

Sources - AMC CD8b, ADC 16/2, Cambridge Audio (shack), Sony SCD-555ES

Cables: MIT S3 Shotguns (dorokusai)

Also,

Anyone bringing gear for sale?? I've got a few items I may have up for sale...

BDT
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited July 2004
    Russ: If you have room for more gear on your trip, you could take the passive adcom pre and the trib IC's that are residing at my house if so desired.

Everything else is too dang big, fragile, or heavy to move too much.

Let me know...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • TroyD
    edited July 2004
    I've gotten a couple of emails and I just want to put everyone's mind at ease....

The Polkfest will still continue as planned.

BDT