Sonos Commercial

Mikey081057
Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
edited March 2014 in Going Digital
I saw the Sonus Commercial during the KC Denver game just now.... I really sounded good on my HT system... all that sound from those little speakers over my big amp and speakers... How do they do that? ( Are they the next Bose?)
My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
Post edited by Mikey081057 on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited December 2013
    They are an amazing system no matter how you look at it. They are the very best in multi room audio right now for many good reasons.
    The Commercial was very cool , I really liked it.
    As far as being the next Bose , whatever that is supposed to mean , They have high quality , good sound quality , ease of use , everyone who uses them loves them , yeah maybe your comment is kinda true.

O by the way that was an amazing game , right down to the end KC hung in their tuff but just couldn't get it done.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited December 2013
    mantis wrote: »
    They are an amazing system no matter how you look at it. They are the very best in multi room audio right now for many good reasons.
    The Commercial was very cool , I really liked it.
    As far as being the next Bose , whatever that is supposed to mean , They have high quality , good sound quality , ease of use , everyone who uses them loves them , yeah maybe your comment is kinda true.

O by the way that was an amazing game , right down to the end KC hung in their tuff but just couldn't get it done.

Great game. Can't believe the Chiefs have dropped 3 in a row after going 9-0 tho.

Yes the devices are amazing, I would of bought the Sonos except I don't like the look of the white cube...I was too worried my cleaning lady would use it to stand on to clean the ceiling fan. my opinion of Bose is that their marketing is better than their product... No way their HT sounds as good as mine, and for equal money, I will give you an HT the blows Bose out of the water. I've been in a few homes with HT gear from Bose and thought that HTIB's of half the price sounded better
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited December 2013
    I saw the Sonus Commercial during the KC Denver game just now.... I really sounded good on my HT system... all that sound from those little speakers over my big amp and speakers... How do they do that? ( Are they the next Bose?)

Lets be real, Sonos in general is ment for casual listening but their ease of use and ability to function as a whole house system is the outstanding part. Not to say with a good dac, or some mods, you can kick it up a few notches closer to the critical listening realm.

A small speaker such as the Sonos play 5 or Bose will never be able to replace your full blown HT or 2 channel rig. That's not their purpose or function, though marketing has people thinking otherwise. You can however incorporate it into any HT/2 channel rig and get some good sound, if done right. That's the beauty of it, so many options and uses.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited March 2014
    As a installer of sonos I was skeptical as you are at first when my friend started telling me about them. However With a Sonos playbar, sub, and a set of play 3's acting as rears you really do have a sick HT setup. Don't get me wrong they do have their limitations as far as volume wise but by this point your going to be a little uncomfortable being in your room. A medium side room can easily be filled with good sounding stereo or surround sound from a sonos pair of system. A large room the rears depending on their distance can easily become lost in the setup and should be moved closer (10ft behind listening position).

I was given a play 1 and bridge for Christmas from my friend as a thank you for my hard work. I have to say every time I put on something like Madness by Muse or Lindsay Stirling Crystallize I am in aww that I am listening to a speaker that is sitting on my bookshelf by itself. I can only imagine if I had a stereo pair of them. At low to medium listening levels the sound is full with a nice deep bass tone coming from a single 3.5" mid and 1" tweeter. The bass does drop off quite quickly around 80Hz but still amazing coming from such a small package. I would say any of the sonos equipment blows bose out of the water between quality and sound height. Mind you I have only had this setup for a week now and I am already impressed and wanting to add another play 1 or play3. It had put me back in touch with my music in a way. back to discovering new songs in my library that I have not heard before.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    edited March 2014
    I also install Sonos and use it.
    The mobile app and pc app are very easy to use. anyone who can look at a picture and read can set these systems up.
    Max number of players is 32 (and I have done many systems with 30+ zones of audio using sonos). The product is here to stay and has changed multi room audio forever.
    the HT sonos stuff isn't to bad for the everyday person either. I like how you can take two speaker units and combine them into one stereo zone. The zoneplayer is a must have for any system, to be able to playback all of your internet music subscriptions is great. You can even map the sonos to play music from your itunes, pc, NAS drive and audio server. Sonos will play music from your mobile device too.
    Another cool option is "Line in". with line in you can add external devices like turn tables and CD players as audio sources. I can play my turntable in my listening room and hear it while im in my outdoor zone. The units will playback your audio at CD quality too if they stream at cd quality or if you have an actual cd player connected.

Another cool feature is the Z wave. If you connect one sonos (or bridge) in your house that is the only sonos that needs a Enet feed. Sonos units will talk to each other by themselves without any setup.

Sono ipod dock is sick too. If you have something like a 120gb ipod classic you can browse all of its music by docking it in a wireless sonos dock.

Sonos zone players also offer coax digital out. This way you can bypass the internal DAC if you prefer to use your own or buy one http://www.crutchfield.com/p_776SONLINK/Arcam-SonLink.html?tp=59309&awkw=49521694825&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=20504168665&awdv=c#overview-tab
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma