Well, I got it powered up but........

headrott
headrott Posts: 5,484
edited March 2014 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I have the same result from my VK-200. The right channel works perfectly, but the left channel has no audio output.

Anyone know what else a bridge rectifier going out can cause problems with? That is, what in the output section or powering the output section can be destroyed by a bridge rectifier going out (burning up)?

My first thought was an output transistor, but they are located on the bottom of the board whereas the bridge rectifiers are onthe top of the board. It seems like there would be manythings in between to be destroyd before the output transistors. They all "look fine" but I realise that doesn't mean they work.

Can you guys give me some help in there I should start testing for other bad parts?

Please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks for the help......
Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
Post edited by headrott on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited March 2014
    In my best Russian accent......send to BAT, they fix BAT.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    edited March 2014
    LOL! The shipping and wait time sucks.............Ugggghhhhhh!
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • F1nut
    edited March 2014
    Their turn around time is super fast, about 2 weeks.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, I saw that on their site Jesse. That is pretty damned fast. What's funny is after all the capacitor replacements I have done, the shipping cost will probably be more expensive than the repair cost(s) (potentially).

I have contacted Victor Khomenko about sending it back.........Ugggggghhhhh.......
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited March 2014
    Since I don't know the exact circuit layout, common components directly downstream from a full wave bridge rectifier are: resistors, capacitors, voltage regulators, and Zener diodes. Since one channel is working, it leads me to believe the + and - rails are at or near where they're supposed to be, and those components are probably functioning. The failed component(s) are most likely further downstream in the affected channel.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • headrott
    edited March 2014
    You are correct in all the components that you said are downstram from the bridge rectifier, but that's my guess too (that the failed components are further downstream from the resistors, capacitors, voltage regulators and zener diodes).

This is a balanced amp so one channel's board is completely seperate from the other channel's board. So, just because one boards rails are normal doesn't mean the others boards are.

I can say that neither fuse blew on the board that the bridge rectifier went bed on.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited March 2014
    So each channel has it's own board, and rectifier coming off the power supply? If that's the case, and the + and - rails measure correctly on the non-functioning channel, it's something downstream. Some components can be checked while still in the circuit. On some you may have to lift one leg to see if it's functioning.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited March 2014
    If you pull the bad channel from the chassis you can just send that and won't have the expense of sending the entire chassis. Talk to Victor and he will explain to you.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • bobsauto49
    bobsauto49 Posts: 973
    edited March 2014
    zane77 wrote: »
    If you pull the bad channel from the chassis you can just send that and won't have the expense of sending the entire chassis. Talk to Victor and he will explain to you.
    This is what I did!
    "Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"
  • headrott
    edited March 2014
    Thanks guys. I have been in contact with Victor and as zane77 brought up, I will be sending just the left and right channels into the factory.

Bob, did you send the boards (heatsinks, etc) of each channel in the factory box? Or, did you send it (them) in "just any old box"?
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• bobsauto49
    bobsauto49 Posts: 973
    edited March 2014
    Left channel with the heat sink in a differ box. Packed for wwIII. Victor e-mailed me directions on how to disassemble, and reassemble. Remember to get a diode to drain the power supply, or a large snap will happen when rehooking the plugs! He will tell u this also. Better to order one now, so u have it when the amp comes back.
    "Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"
  • headrott
    edited March 2014
    Thanks Bob. Victor actually recommended sending him both channels with the heat sinks. Not sure why, but I will do as he suggests.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• headrott
    edited March 2014
    Sent in the two channels to Victor at BAT today. They should arrive next monday. I am hoping to receive them back by the 18th at the latest, but we'll see......

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.....
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• headrott
    edited March 2014
    Got an e-mail from Vladimir and just got off the phone with him. Apparently, when the CR1 bridge rectifier burned up, it actually destroyed the trace that connects to one of the legs of the rectifier. Vladimir had to replace part of the trace. Easy find and fix for them. I wish I would have seen it without having to send it in, but oh well. It's done now.

It's paid, and should ship out tomorrow after final testing. Can't wait to get it back and let the new caps burn in and listen to some music!! :smile:
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• F1nut
    edited March 2014
    All's well that ends well. :cool:

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    edited March 2014
    Amen to that Jesse.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited March 2014
    Glad everything is taken care of and up and running. I'm sure you can't wait to get it back.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited March 2014
    Glad it was an easy fix HR. You'll appreciate the big rig even more after having it down for a few weeks.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • headrott
    edited March 2014
    Got the VK-200 back today. I have it hooked up, warmed up and will be listening to it in a few minutes. There are only about 5 hours on the new caps though. I'm positive the sound will improve in about 100 times that number of hours. Gotta wait for it though. :sad:

The good news is, at least I can listen to music again! :smile:
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited March 2014
    Such a drag when one has to send in a nice piece of equipment for repair. Best way to assuage the pain: upgrade during repair process :cool:

Looking forward to your impressions as the caps burn in.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    edited March 2014
    Congrats and glad that it was fixed quickly!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited March 2014
    Happy to hear you got your amp back. Life's tuff without stuff....
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *