Dac Shootout! Cary Dac100t vs Dac100 vs NAD M51

bobsauto49
bobsauto49 Posts: 973
edited May 2014 in Going Digital
I've been fortunate enough to have a HiFi shop to let me listen to a few Dac's before I purchase them. And I'd like to post my non-biased review on the 3.

1st up; Cary Dac100t
Great Dac! Very refined, liquid sound! This is a tube dac, with 2)6922 output tubes. The music flows effortlessly, with a great soundstage. There's a magic with this dac. It just sounds so lifelike. Clear defining highs, with liquid smooth mids, and seamless, crisp Bass! The music easily surpasses my Rega Cd player in overall sound quality. This was the 1st Dac I tried, and figured I couldn't get much better than this. It just portrays the music the way I think it should sound! It has all the detail, but doesn't scream in your face, when turning up the db's! Just pure tubey goodness all around, without getting lazy at the bottom! The one thing I could complain about was the brightness of the lights on the front of the dac! They were so bright, that I had to put a piece of cardboard in front to enjoy the music! THAT BRIGHT! This Dac was listed @ $3000. So I wanted to try a couple others out, but I loved the sound! I ran this with balanced outputs, and a Kimber USB cable, of my computer using ITunes. And next,,,,,,,

NAD M51;
Read lots of reviews on this dac, and they were very positive. $2000, Decided to give it a whirl. Was a little disappointed in this dac. The mids were good, and the highs good also, not great, but good. The bottom end was where I got stuck in the mud! A little boomy, muddy sounding. I honestly disliked the lows enough so, I didn't give this a listen for more than 3 hours. This was a demo unit/lots of hours on it. The overall presentation was average to my ears. As a matter of fact, I would say I may prefer my old DacMagic+ over this dac, @ 1400 less! Just didn't blow my skirt up!

Cary Dac100
The solid state version of Cary's new Dac lineup. This is listed @ $2500, and I was really curious to hear the difference between the 2! This is a nice Dac, and if I hadn't already heard it's tube sibling, I probly would have kept it! Refined all the way through, High's, mids, lows. A little more punch, or maybe a more forward presentation than the tubed version. Just a honest sound, no coloration. A great Dac for someone looking for nuetral sound! Dynamic, fast, and true.

But I knew I was gonna pick the Dac100t the 1st time I heard it!(as well as my wife knew also! She said it was the most expensive, so I was gonna get it:-)
1 problem, how the hell am I gonna work around those halogen lights on the front! 4 blue lights! So bright, its distracting! No BS!
Well after a few weeks gone by, my buddy at Sound World called with some good news! Cary was listening to their customers, and fixed the extremely bright lights! Yahtzee! Neesless to say, I've been enjoying my new Dac100t for a couple weeks now! Sublime sound! If ur interested in a mid/highfi Dac, Give the Cary a try:smile: I don't think u'll be disappointed!
"Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"
Post edited by bobsauto49 on

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited October 2013
    Nice description of the dacs. Glad you found the you want.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited October 2013
    Thanks for the great review, giving me something to think about.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited October 2013
    Nice review, been meaning to get an ear on the lower priced exciter dac in the Cary line-up. Hard not to like the Cary sound.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited October 2013
    Nice write-up! I also enjoy the Cary sound quality
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    edited October 2013
    Great review. Thanks!
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited October 2013
    Dac's are fun to shoot out. Nice write up and thanks for the read.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited October 2013
    I sure hope you're not running music directly out of iTunes. Tell me you're running something on top of iTunes...
  • bobsauto49
    edited October 2013
    I sure hope you're not running music directly out of iTunes. Tell me you're running something on top of iTunes...
    I am! And I sincerely wish u could be here to listen to it!!!
    Had a fancy boy Lawyer listening to my setup, and he listens only to a hi-res website with a monthly fee! He asked me close to a dozen times if this was a burned cd, or iTunes bought, and couldn't believe my answer! But it's all in the pudding!!!
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited November 2013
    Nice review - makes me want to go listen to one. Cary is located about 45 minutes from me in Apex, NC.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • tonyb
    edited December 2013
    Gonna drudge this up because I want to ask Bob if his HI-FI shop has a Cary Xciter dac for demo. People seem to love the lower priced **** child of those big boys too. The 100t....man, I'd love it but out of my price range.

Bob, try and get one and do a mini-review, seems we both like the same sound and I'd accept your opinions on it easily.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • bobsauto49
    edited December 2013
    Id love to Tony, but they do not have any. U need to take a ride up nort, and give this 100t a listen! Im servin Bone-in Ribeye's and Beer! Maybee bring ur dac up here, and we could do a swap for a month???? Im game.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited December 2013
    You've put together a really nice system, Bob.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • bobsauto49
    edited December 2013
    Thanx Steve! It was fun,but expensive. Been thinkin about trying some new speakers out. my dream is to get a pair of the Tannoy's new Royal Kingdom. Found a demo pair for less than half MSRP. lotta coin for speakers though! I keep researchin diiferent stuff, cause its fun!
  • tonyb
    edited December 2013
    bobsauto49 wrote: »
    Id love to Tony, but they do not have any. U need to take a ride up nort, and give this 100t a listen! Im servin Bone-in Ribeye's and Beer! Maybee bring ur dac up here, and we could do a swap for a month???? Im game.

Haha...bone in Ribeye bro....my absolute favorite. We even have the same taste in meat. LOL

Would love to get an ear on that 100T, but I don't have a separate dac anymore, hence the hunt. I like a more analog sounding dac and Cary....Burson seem to fit that bill.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • bobsauto49
    edited December 2013
    tonyb wrote: »
    Haha...bone in Ribeye bro....my absolute favorite. We even have the same taste in meat. LOL
    Nothing beats a Bone in Ribeye!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited December 2013
    I hear ya Bob, probably this coming year will be a Benchmark DAC2-D upgrade, then in 2015 I may hunt down a pair of Harbeth Super HL5's. I'll run my Parasound amp until it dies, then upgrade it as well.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    edited December 2013
    Man, looking at Bob's list of gear and stuff that has graced his home, one has to ask a very important question.

How much do you charge for frickin' auto repairs up there pal ? LOL
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited December 2013
    bobsauto49 wrote: »
    Nothing beats a Bone in Ribeye!

Well yes AND no.....but if your cooking and I'm sitting there listening to your gear and drinking your beer...then you are absolutely 100% correct:lol: MY best friend ever:smile:
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited December 2013
    tonyb wrote: »

How much do you charge for frickin' auto repairs up there pal ? LOL

It's not some much the auto repairs its the oil changes and muffler bearing that are bread and butter...:mrgreen:
  • Christo
    Christo Posts: 30
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for the review. Nice to have my impressions of the M51 confirmed.