Best place to put subwoofer?

DonW
DonW Posts: 1
edited December 2013 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I just bought a new system: PA D5000.5 Amp, MM6501 speakers and MM10DVC Sub. My question is where should I put the sub for best sound quality. As far as I can figure it out, the basic choices I have are behind either the driver or passenger the front seat in a thin crew cab type enclosure or in the back behind the rear seats in a more squared off box. I have a 1998 Subaru Outback station wagon. Any input would be appreciated.
Post edited by DonW on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2012
    Generally in hatchbacks like that, the best place is behind the rear seats firing toward the rear. The actual ideal place would be right up against the back firing into the cabin but this isnt practical cause everytime you open the rear hatch to throw your groceries in there, youve got a big sub box in the way.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • -FROG-
    -FROG- Posts: 31
    edited September 2012
    Hatch, facing the rear. If the box is too small, flip the sub with the magnet facing out. It will protect the speaker and give it more volume, hitting deeper frequencies. Might need to flip the wire/polarity to keep it in phase with the door speakers, but probably wouldn't be able to tell as it would drastically overpower the doors.
  • Goldenboy72206
    Goldenboy72206 Posts: 126
    edited April 2013
    best place is the backseat feel the bass MAN LMAO
  • 20hz
    20hz Posts: 636
    edited October 2013
    generally further back the better as far as facing it not as big a sound differance as using the right size box for the driver .
    My car subs sound best tuned at 40 hz
  • blushtraveler
    blushtraveler Posts: 2
    edited December 2013
    Ideally, it will be great to place it at the back seat. Just try to figure out too the best hz for your hatchbbox.
  • evamodel00
    evamodel00 Posts: 11
    edited December 2013
    like one other said, in the trunk facing the rear. this will help negate any kind of frequency cancellation that would occur otherwise.
  • docjl
    docjl Posts: 41
    In the rear hatch area. In a station wagon it should sound very good and provide a lot of sound. In my sedan I have the sub in the trunk in a custom box, and it provides a lot of sound even through the rear seats in a well insulated cabin. I do, however have a more powerful sub, a 12" SR124 in a custom sealed box. The MM10 should provide plenty of oomph in your wagon - I used to run the exact same sub in a .66 cu ft sealed box in a 2 seat sports car behind the passenger seat, and it was so powerful in that small car I kept the levels turned down pretty low.

The key in your case is to make sure you use the right size enclosure, and provide it enough clean power.

I definitely would NOT put the sub behind one of the front seats in your passenger cabin, as I see no acoustic benefit to this.