Can you change the title of a thread?

plainoledave
plainoledave Posts: 408
edited September 2013 in Forum Testing Area
It would be useful for changing updated prices or incorrect info. Can't figure out how to do it... :eek:
Post edited by plainoledave on

Comments

• zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited June 2013
    I don't think you can do this, but you're right, at certain times it would be nice to be able to do that without starting a new thread
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited June 2013
    You should have changed the title to ' Why can't I update the title of a thread' but if you could do this there would be no point in posting that thread :cheesygrin:

I think I just blew my mind....... wide open :eek:
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited June 2013
    The only way to change a title is during the first 20 or so minutes after you post the thread. To do this, just hit "Go advanced" and change or correct the title. After the 20 or so minutes, members can not change or edit the post or the title. Only the admin and moderators [with permissions] can do this.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited June 2013
    If anyone wants to change anything about a posting just send me a PM.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited June 2013
    What is the purpose of not being able to edit your post or title at any givin time?

It would be great to be able to do this especially when someone has a build thread going on. They could take on the first three or so posts, and update as they go along. It would be better then going through 5-6 pages of posts to view the updates..

This is the only forum I am a member of that doesn't give you that option.

For the record, I am not bitching about it, honestly I don't care, I'm just saying it would be nice. So before someone wants to jump on the band wagon, I'm not hating just curious..
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited June 2013
    It goes back to when Justin was running the forum. Some nonsense about folks posting something offensive, but changing it before Justin got the chance to see it and for some reason Justin was in trouble over it. Utter nonsense really.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    edited June 2013
    If memory serves, the offenders who did that are no longer active members FWIW. Would it be possible for the management team here to reconsider the current editing rule?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • plainoledave
    plainoledave Posts: 408
    edited June 2013
    Thank you for confirming my suspicions.
  • F1nut
    edited June 2013
    I need to add........we never could change the thread title, that always had to be done by contacting a mod. My comments above were about editing posts.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    edited July 2013
    nrto74ak reported
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited July 2013
    The ability to edit one's posts would be most useful for sales threads to take down items as they sell, rather than just updating in the last post as it seems many don't bother to read through the thread to see what has/hasn't sold.

If somebody says something offensive you can always quote them before it can be edited, besides, don't mods have the privilege of seeing a post and all it's edits if necessary? At least that's how it works on the one tiny forum I help moderate.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• treitz3
    edited July 2013
    ...don't mods have the privilege of seeing a post and all it's edits if necessary?

Hello, Inspector 24. AFAIK, with vBulletin only the admin(s) can see the edited posts. Not the moderators. I don't even think they can set that up with permissions. They would, however, be able to see any posts that were "soft deleted" by other mods.

Tom
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited July 2013
    Aaah, shows how much I know, I must have admin privileges on that forum. :razz:

Still, editing would be nice. :)
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    edited August 2013
    ^^^^^^Can anyone open this link^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • F1nut
    edited August 2013
    It says,
    Email currently unavailable
    Please contact Comcast Support by calling 1-800-Comcast or chat live with a Comcast care representative.

Please reference error code: 400.

President of Club Polk

• daboyz
    edited August 2013
    Thanks, Jesse!
  • daboyz
    edited September 2013
  • daboyz
    edited September 2013