Cable Elevators

13»

Comments

• brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited May 2013
    Ya know if you get more cats and train them to sit still you could run those cables right between their ears.They would probably help dissipate any EM buildup through their tails as well.
    Just a thought.
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • naturallight
    naturallight Posts: 689
    edited May 2013
    Well...cable elevators..i'm not sure that buys you much of anything..except more money you have to spend...

If you have carpet and maybe yes static....well why not just suspend the cable with some tie rapes off your off your rack?? It keeps the cable off the floor, it's dirt cheap. Maybe just give it a try?
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited May 2013
    If you have carpet and maybe yes static....well why not just suspend the cable with some tie rapes off your off your rack?? It keeps the cable off the floor, it's dirt cheap. Maybe just give it a try?

Why ya gotta rape the poor ties?!? :cheesygrin:
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited May 2013
    While ty-wraps might work (what do you do between the cabinet and speaker?), some are looking for a little more "elegant" solution.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • doctor r
    doctor r Posts: 837
    edited May 2013
    I have to give F1 some due credit here as he is probably the only one that can start a thread about "Styrofoam cups" and have it extend out to 3 pages with discussion and dissent that is both reasonable at points and totally asinine at others. Cudos Drac!

Totally agree with the more "elegant" solution.
    integrated w/DAC module Gryphon Diablo 300
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    phono pre Dynamic Sounds Associates Phono II
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    cartridges Miyajima Madake, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Ortofon
    speakers Rockport Mira II
    cables Synergistic Research Cables, Gryphon VPI XLR, Sablon 2020 USB
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
    ultrasonic cleaner Degritter
  • naturallight
    edited May 2013
    OK..the Ty-wrap solution is not the most pleasing..it also "assumes' a few things. Now my rack is pretty tall. The 1C's and my RTi12's the cable connections are not at the dead bottom of the speakers.

Also my rack is close to the back wall, and the speakers sit a foot off the back wall. They are about 3-4 feet away from the rack on either side. So if you suspended the cables from the top of the rack to the speakers...yes you would see a drooping cable. But would not be close to the floor.

Now there is a more pleasing way to do this. Again "assuming" you don't mess with your speakers placement alot. Use the Ty-wraps as a kind of cable hanger. If your rack is close to the back wall. You "hang" a few ty-wraps on your back wall, run your cables threw them, to the back of your speakers. Not completely ugly, but dirt cheap. Just an idea.
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2013
    Got'cha, I can visualize what you're saying now. I love Ty-wraps, they're the duct tape of the 21st century.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited May 2013
    Also my rack is close to the back wall, and the speakers sit a foot off the back wall. They are about 3-4 feet away from the rack on either side. So if you suspended the cables from the top of the rack to the speakers...yes you would see a drooping cable. But would not be close to the floor.

See post 15
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?148988-Cable-Elevators&p=1921387&viewfull=1#post1921387

I don't use tie-wraps. At work we buy a number of servers for our lab, and they come with Velcro straps for cable management. It turns out they work even better for audio cables versus network and server cables.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    edited May 2013
    Thanks Doc :loneranger:
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited May 2013
    BlueFox wrote: »
    See post 15
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?148988-Cable-Elevators&p=1921387&viewfull=1#post1921387

I don't use tie-wraps. At work we buy a number of servers for our lab, and they come with Velcro straps for cable management. It turns out they work even better for audio cables versus network and server cables.

Velcro is the best IMO. I work with both in my industry and each has their place when being used. For my audio rack, I'll have to use both small, skinny tie-wraps and velcro. Really the only advantage to the velcro over a softer materiel is that there is less chance to cut/slice a wire/cable. However, velcro is crazy expensive.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited May 2013
    Suspending the cables from a tall rack to the speaker may get it off the floor but also induce vibrations. Too long a stretch without support will make the cable more prone to picking up vibrations. That's why every couple feet you need support, that's why they sell them in bundles of x amount and not just one.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • naturallight
    edited May 2013
    Well you could use Velcro..or ty-wraps..to sup-pend the cables on the back wall. You could also put them in the foam insulation stuff, that they use for copper pipes. Which should kill any vibrations you may think are going on. You could paint that the same color as the wall so it would not stick out like a sore thumb. But it should work, and is dirt cheap. But thats just an idea...it may work for what you want or may not. Just an idea guys....
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited May 2013
    This will be my only response to this and then I am out. Please note this is my attempt to clear up any question about your "thread crapping"

I hate when people say this around here. Be a man and stick it out. Don't take a shot and then run away.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,837
    edited May 2013
    I hate when people say this around here. Be a man and stick it out. Don't take a shot and then run away.

Sometimes a real man knows when it's best to walk away and not feed a troll..
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited May 2013

No worries, audiocr381ve, it was just EndersShadow acusing me of thread crapping 'cuz he thought I made too sarcastic of a statement for his liking. I knew he was serious because he's usually LOL'ing all over the place - not this time though! Not an LOL to be found...even in his additional comments (that he'd promised were not to be forthcoming).

So, in summary, after ES reprimanded me, Pepster reprimanded him for being the biggest thread crapper around. EndersShadow agreed with Pepster's assessment and apologized for all the thread crapping he's been doing. THEN, EndersShadow turns around and craps all over this thread some more with family photos - in a cable elevators thread!?!

Huh? Moments before that, he had this to say to me though: "And here again your double blind comment got what you wanted, an argument to which you are more than happy to continue to add to, which if I may say so is a bit off topic from talking about those folks using cable risers...." Hmmmm...and family photos have what to do with cable risers? LOL
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited May 2013
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Sometimes a real man knows when it's best to walk away and not feed a troll..

Yeah, funny thing though, Toolfan66, your "real man" didn't walk away, he stuck around to do his form of thread crapping. See above.

As I said before, I wasn't trolling or crapping, just giving my opinion. I'm sorry if it was presented in a manner that seemed too sarcastic for at least one CP member...LOL.

No, I know there's no real money-spent threshold for how these cable risers are going to change the sound any listener perceives is being made to their system. And the $300 and $600 figures that I presented for threshold values for really good sound and reeeeeealllllllly good sound, respectively, were only presented to make a point. Yes, believe it or not, I've been in discussions with some others where those who were the most adamant about cable risers making a sonic improvement in their system were the ones who'd spent a whole lot of money on them. Did that actually change the role they played in the sound being reproduced? No idea.

This all being said, I didn't give F1nut enough credit for his efforts. He is trying in earnest, I believe, to see if they make a difference to him, in his system, without spending much, or anything. I will keep an eye out for his impressions and will read what he has to say. Then, again and as always, I will evaluate for myself what's being said and how, or if, it applies to me and my setup.
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2013
    Can we ditch the drama? Lets get back on topic....