Recommended 7 channel x200w Amp

Options
13»

Comments

• kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited April 2013
    Options
    That's why you buy used... try something out for a while, then sell it and MAKE money.:biggrin:
    I've got two Parasounds (HCA-2003 and 1206) and an Adcom (GFA-5503) in the closet that say otherwise. $1,300+ worth of no freakin' warranty right there, taking up space, not to mention what I spent trying to have them fixed. Just sayin'! :lol:
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I've got two Parasounds (HCA-2003 and 1206) and an Adcom (GFA-5503) in the closet that say otherwise. $1,300+ worth of no freakin' warranty right there, taking up space, not to mention what I spent trying to have them fixed. Just sayin'! :lol:

That's an easy fix... you need better karma! joke. Your situation is rare, but a reality nonetheless and worth consideration for the the OP.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited April 2013
    Options
    rdb2001 wrote: »
    I am curious how Hyundai or Kia were even on your radar if you were looking at Acura. Would think you would be looking at lexus, infiniti, audi, bmw etc. :cheesygrin: Those cars are not even in the same class as the Acura.

I had $25k to spend. Wanted to pay cash and not have to worry about a payment. $25k cash won't buy you a new Lexus, Infiniti, etc etc. But it will buy you a new Sonata.
    Or it will buy you a certified pre owned Acura with extended warranty.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited April 2013
    Options
    rdb2001 wrote: »
    Reliability of a car is not subjective like this hobby. I dont care how you spin it, it is not the same. Hyndai and Kia have for the most part been at the bottom when it comes to reliability and Acura is always at the top.

May want to ask JD Power about that. :wink:
    Budget and entry brands like Hyundai, Kia and Scion have been stepping up their game greatly the last few years...so much so that they have surpassed a lot of those "premium" brands in reliability ratings.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    edited April 2013
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Budget and entry brands like Hyundai, Kia and Scion have been stepping up their game greatly the last few years...so much so that they have surpassed a lot of those "premium" brands in reliability ratings.

^This^ CR says the same thing...
  • rdb2001
    rdb2001 Posts: 791
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I had $25k to spend. Wanted to pay cash and not have to worry about a payment. $25k cash won't buy you a new Lexus, Infiniti, etc etc. But it will buy you a new Sonata.
    Or it will buy you a certified pre owned Acura with extended warranty.

25k cash will not buy you a new acura either. But it will buy you a used car from any of those premium brands. I guess you were looking at new vs used options.
  • hosedagain
    hosedagain Posts: 116
    edited April 2013
    Options

http://www.jdpower.com/consumer-ratings/automotive/index.htm
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited April 2013
    Options
    It's amazing how quickly this thread got sidetracked and became about cars. :razz:
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • Monster Jam
    Monster Jam Posts: 919
    edited April 2013
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Sunfire 7201

I'm late to the party but consider this a +1 right here.
    Do you hear that buzzing noise? :confused:
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited April 2013
    Options
    sarvic wrote: »
    I probably won't be getting a receiver yet for my theater room til next year sometime. If I had to get one now, it would be probably the Denon AVR-4520 although I did look at that Pioneer SC-68. The Marantz AV8801 looked nice but i'd need an amp for that one.Just looking into my options is all. :)
    Looking at those choices, do you plan to go 9.2 or 11.2 at some point? If not you could go with the Marantz AV7701 pre (refurb $1199 @ Acc4Less) + MM8077 7-ch (used $1500 @ ebay) both for $2699 total shipped.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2013
    Options
    The MM8077 isn't rated for 4ohm operation.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • WLDock
    edited April 2013
    Options
    The LSiM speakers are rated at 8 Ohms (center measured 3.5 Ohm min), w/ 88 dB efficiency. The MM8077 should be fine given that the speakers will be crossed over at 80Hz I would guess., it did fine at 4 Ohm test: http://www.hometheater.com/content/marantz-av8801-surround-processor-amp-mm8077-amplifier

If the OP plans to run full tilt, that B-Stock Outlaw 7700 for $1799 might be the ticket for a few hundred more.

as far as cars.....a new Hyundai Equus vs. used top of the line Lexus, Benz, Acura, BMW, Infiniti, Audi would seem like an easy choice for many...go with the proven used lux brands. However, with the improved quality of the Korean brand and the value over competing new models some might take a test drive.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited April 2013
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    The LSiM speakers are rated at 8 Ohms (center measured 3.5 Ohm min), w/ 88 dB efficiency. The MM8077 should be fine given that the speakers will be crossed over at 80Hz I would guess., it did fine at 4 Ohm test: http://www.hometheater.com/content/marantz-av8801-surround-processor-amp-mm8077-amplifier

If the OP plans to run full tilt, that B-Stock Outlaw 7700 for $1799 might be the ticket for a few hundred more.

I would NOT be risking my expensive speakers on "should be." I would rather spend the extra money and get more power to cover everything. It's better to have the power and not need it rather than need it (after damage is done) and not have it.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • WLDock
    edited April 2013
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I would NOT be risking my expensive speakers on "should be." I would rather spend the extra money and get more power to cover everything. It's better to have the power and not need it rather than need it (after damage is done) and not have it.
    Wait a minute.....We are talking about critical audio components for a critical audio listener correct? There is nothing in the specs of the LSiM line or the MM8077 that would state that they won't work together. Especially given the fact that a person with a critical ear will have the control of the volume. The same hold true for a more rubust amp.....

Nevertheless, by looking at third party test one an see that the Polks dop down some in impedance and the Marantz was tested at 4 Ohms.....all values that the manufactures don't really list.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Testing an amp for a 4 ohm load is a short process. The manufacturer may not list it as 4 ohm capable because in practical use it's a much longer time span the amp has to run at 4 ohm loads which it may not be able to handle. A sign of a not very robust power supply if you ask me.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nwohlford
    nwohlford Posts: 700
    edited April 2013
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Testing an amp for a 4 ohm load is a short process. The manufacturer may not list it as 4 ohm capable because in practical use it's a much longer time span the amp has to run at 4 ohm loads which it may not be able to handle. A sign of a not very robust power supply if you ask me.

It depends on which testing you are talking about. The testing run by reviewers maybe short, but the test required for FTC is not. Amplifiers that would be capable of driving into 4 ohms in real world conditions without a problem may fail during the preconditioning required for the FTC testing. Since 4 ohm claims for continuous power in the US would be based on FTC claims, it would not be listed then.

I have not seen the full impedance and phase angle by frequency plot for any of the LSiM series, so it is hard to know for sure how hard they are to drive. I would tend to take Polk at their word that these speakers are not too hard to drive. (At PolkFest they drove a full set of seven off a Marantz receiver at volumes as loud as I would ever need.) Having one dip to 3.5 ohms is not inconsistent with any normal nominal 8 ohm speaker as long as the phase angle is reasonable in that range. Unless you plan to listen to test tones in that range at loud volumes, it is unlikely to cause any problems.
  • moodyman
    moodyman Posts: 45
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    Unlike yours, my recommendations are based on experience. Besides the use of better parts, the rest of the added expense are due to them being designed and made in the US.

Please enlighten us as to what "inferior" parts Emotiva uses...
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,531
    edited April 2013
    Options
    moodyman wrote: »
    Please enlighten us as to what "inferior" parts Emotiva uses...

Time to make my popcorn and settle in for a "fun" friday night debate :wink:

Attachment not found.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • adabro
    adabro Posts: 212
    edited April 2013
    Options
    wow - an amp thread is turning into an emo discussion? Who would have guessed....

We need a sticky thread for these so they can endlessly battle it out.
  • sarvic
    sarvic Posts: 51
    edited April 2013
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    Looking at those choices, do you plan to go 9.2 or 11.2 at some point? If not you could go with the Marantz AV7701 pre (refurb $1199 @ Acc4Less) + MM8077 7-ch (used $1500 @ ebay) both for $2699 total shipped.

For the next 3-5 years, i'll probably just stick with a 7.2 setup in my current house. Maybe later down the road i'd entertain the idea of a 9.2 or 11.2 setup but that depends on what i'm doing then. In my theater room right now, the best I could do is 9.2 with front wides, but for now, i'm cool with just a 7.2 setup
  • sarvic
    edited April 2013
    Options
    So has anyone tested both the Outlaw 7700 and the Sunfire 7201 to compare either one?
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited April 2013
    Options
    So has anyone tested both the Outlaw 7700 and the Sunfire 7201 to compare either one?

Yes my buddy has the Outlaw and I have the Sunfire in my dedicated room. Sunfire is going to be easier to handle, other than that they both perform very well. It's really a choice of which you want. I also owned the Outlaw monoblocks and performed really well for me. Both have a very good sound, produce tons of power, and should do exactly what you need. Outlaw will have good customer service, my buddy had to send his in for repair once.

If you decide to go ICEAmps then consider D-Sonic or Wyred4Sound. I have a 1000S on my fronts and at 525wpc it produces tons of power in a small chasis. With the IceAmps you can custom configure the modules as you desire. 250/500 for the front stage, less power for rear/surrounds. Cost will be a tad more, but you certainly have the budget for it.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • sarvic
    edited April 2013
    Options
    What do you mean by "easier to handle"?
  • nwohlford
    nwohlford Posts: 700
    edited April 2013
    Options
    What do you mean by "easier to handle"?

I am guessing he is referring to the weight. The Outlaw is 93lbs while the sunfire is 43lbs.
  • sarvic
    edited April 2013
    Options
    wow, that is a pretty big weight difference...lol
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited April 2013
    Options
    The Sunfire was the only 5 channel amp that I could lift at the time that I got it, which is why I got it. It has powered all of my speakers beautifully and stays nice and cool.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • sarvic
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Seeing that the Sunfire is about half the weight of the Outlaw as well as being able to stay pretty cool from it's Tracking Downconverter technology, maybe the 7201 might be the way to go...