Recommended 7 channel x200w Amp

Options
sarvic
sarvic Posts: 51
edited May 2013 in Electronics
Just wondering what people recommend for a good 7-channel amp these days.
Will be used to power:

Fronts: LSiM 703 bookshelf
Center: LSiM 706c
Side Surrounds: LSiM 702 F/X
Back Surrounds: LSiM 702 F/X

thanks!
Post edited by sarvic on

Comments

• kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Someone's gonna ask it, so I'll get it out of the way: What's your budget?
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • sarvic
    edited April 2013
    Options
    no real set budget, just want to see what good quality amps were out there. I guess anything in the $2000-$3000 range.

oh, and that's 200w x 7 in 8ohms
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Krell showcase
  • sarvic
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Krell showcase

unfortunately that one's only 125w x 7 with 8 ohms
  • sarvic
    edited April 2013
    Options
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited April 2013
    Options
    You want something super high end used for that kinda money your talking
  • snake1
    snake1 Posts: 567
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Coming soon from Emotiva! :cheesygrin:
    XPR7.jpg

350wpc x 7!! Probably within your budget as well, but you'll have to wait for release. Note the power requirements however. :eek:
    AVR - Onkyo NR809
    500gb HD for MP3 and FLAC files
    Amp - Parasound 2250 - FOR SALE BTW!! PM me if interested!
    Mains - Polk RTi12 towers
    Center - CSi5
    Surround - FXiA6's
    Sub - psw505
    Movies and games - PS3
    TV - Toshiba 52" HD

Every vehicle has one good nuetral drop in it
  • sarvic
    edited April 2013
    Options
    snake1 wrote: »
    Coming soon from Emotiva! :cheesygrin:
    XPR7.jpg

350wpc x 7!! Probably within your budget as well, but you'll have to wait for release. Note the power requirements however. :eek:

nice! I was originally looking at the Emotiva's but their current multi-channel one unfortunately didn't have enough power for what I was looking for.
  • PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I've had a NAD M25 for the last year and really enjoyed it. 160W x 7 @ 8 Ohms (220W dynamic). They run about $3500 new, but I've seen them used for ~$2500.

http://nadelectronics.com/products/masters-series/M25-7-Channel-Amplifier
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • kuntasensei
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I was gonna say... the closest thing I could think of new was the Nad M25, but that's only 160w/ch and it's $3,500. There's a Lexicon LX7 on Ebay right now for $1,850 and that would work for you. There's also a B&K 200.7 on Audiogon for around the same price. I'd poke around used and see what you can find.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,542
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Here is my question: Why do you need an amp for those speakers?

Honestly just pick up a Pioneer SC-68 and call it a day. You dont need nearly the wattage you think you do for the LSiM's to drive them to ear bleeding levels. Also factor in you need to double the wattage per 3db you add. So for example if your AVR puts out say 125 x 7 (actual wattage rather than spec wattage) and gives you 100 db, to get to 103 db you need to have 250 x 7 (actual wattage), to get to 106db you need to have 500 x 7 (actual wattage, and more than your speakers can take per spec's). Its hard to tell the difference between db's the higher up you go as well, so you might not even be able to tell the difference sound wise, even though you may pay 2 or 3x more for an amp with those specs.

If you just had to have an amp get a 2 channel one for your front 2, and drive the rest with a really good AVR (again with the Pioneer SC series).

One of the nice things about the redesign of the LSi series into the LSiM series is the move from 4 ohm speakers to 8 ohm ones. Allows you to use an AVR to power them (assuming its a good quality one).

I wouldnt go out and buy a cheapy AVR by any means, but anything in the 1.5k range up should work fine, and then you save yourself the cost of the AVR + an amp + interconnects. Allows for a simpler hookup and cleaner source to speaker connection.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • snake1
    edited April 2013
    Options
    sarvic wrote: »
    nice! I was originally looking at the Emotiva's but their current multi-channel one unfortunately didn't have enough power for what I was looking for.

7ch amps with 200wpc are not very common. You could look into some Parasounds as well. Get a 2ch for the L and R and a 5 channel for the rest. All above 200w with either the new classic or Halo line. Being that you have LSiM's I'd say Halos perhaps.
    AVR - Onkyo NR809
    Center - CSi5
    Surround - FXiA6's
    Sub - psw505
    Movies and games - PS3
    TV - Toshiba 52" HD

• kuntasensei
    edited April 2013
    Options
    They're supposed to have a XPA-7 coming out in the near future that will be 200w/ch x7. At least there's mention in their forums of one. If you're not in a rush and insist on new, that might be worth checking out.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • sarvic
    edited April 2013
    Options

Honestly just pick up a Pioneer SC-68 and call it a day. You dont need nearly the wattage you think you do for the LSiM's to drive them to ear bleeding levels. Also factor in you need to double the wattage per 3db you add. So for example if your AVR puts out say 125 x 7 (actual wattage rather than spec wattage) and gives you 100 db, to get to 103 db you need to have 250 x 7 (actual wattage), to get to 106db you need to have 500 x 7 (actual wattage, and more than your speakers can take per spec's). Its hard to tell the difference between db's the higher up you go as well, so you might not even be able to tell the difference sound wise, even though you may pay 2 or 3x more for an amp with those specs.

If you just had to have an amp get a 2 channel one for your front 2, and drive the rest with a really good AVR (again with the Pioneer SC series).

One of the nice things about the redesign of the LSi series into the LSiM series is the move from 4 ohm speakers to 8 ohm ones. Allows you to use an AVR to power them (assuming its a good quality one).

I wouldnt go out and buy a cheapy AVR by any means, but anything in the 1.5k range up should work fine, and then you save yourself the cost of the AVR + an amp + interconnects. Allows for a simpler hookup and cleaner source to speaker connection.

I probably won't be getting a receiver yet for my theater room til next year sometime. If I had to get one now, it would be probably the Denon AVR-4520 although I did look at that Pioneer SC-68. The Marantz AV8801 looked nice but i'd need an amp for that one.
    Just looking into my options is all. :)
  • EndersShadow
    edited April 2013
    Options
    7ch amps with 200wpc are not very common. You could look into some Parasounds as well. Get a 2ch for the L and R and a 5 channel for the rest. All above 200w with either the new classic or Halo line. Being that you have LSiM's I'd say Halos perhaps.
    They're supposed to have a XPA-7 coming out in the near future that will be 200w/ch x7. At least there's mention in their forums of one. If you're not in a rush and insist on new, that might be worth checking out.

Again fella's I ask

Surrounds will never need that much power, and lets remember the LSiM's are 8 ohm speakers so they are not the LSi's of past which required an amp to sound good.

The LSiM's should sound quite good on a high end AVR that has close to its rated spec's per channel with all channels driven. I dont think the OP needs an amp for all 5 speakers by any means, maybe the front 2, but with his budget he could just get the Pio 68 and call it. He wont get more out of the LSiM's without REALLY upping his budget and I dont think there would be enough of a difference to justify the cost.

Keep in mind every 3 db increase in SPL requires double the wattage.

Also we dont know room size, are we talking a 10x12 room, a 300x500 room, etc as that plays into all this.

Lets not get too far down the amp rabbit hole before ensuring its one we actually need to go down.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I probably won't be getting a receiver yet for my theater room til next year sometime. If I had to get one now, it would be probably the Denon AVR-4520 although I did look at that Pioneer SC-68. The Marantz AV8801 looked nice but i'd need an amp for that one.
    Just looking into my options is all. :)

Do you have the speakers now? If so how are you driving them?

The Marantz SR7007 would be what you would need, you dont have to go separates with the LSiM's and honestly think you would spend more cash than you needed doing so.
  • snake1
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Again fella's I ask

Surrounds will never need that much power, and lets remember the LSiM's are 8 ohm speakers so they are not the LSi's of past which required an amp to sound good.

The LSiM's should sound quite good on a high end AVR that has close to its rated spec's per channel with all channels driven. I dont think the OP needs an amp for all 5 speakers by any means, maybe the front 2, but with his budget he could just get the Pio 68 and call it. He wont get more out of the LSiM's without REALLY upping his budget and I dont think there would be enough of a difference to justify the cost.

Keep in mind every 3 db increase in SPL requires double the wattage.

Also we dont know room size, are we talking a 10x12 room, a 300x500 room, etc as that plays into all this.

Lets not get too far down the amp rabbit hole before ensuring its one we actually need to go down.

I'll concede here. Good stuff to think about. Just figured if he was asking about amps he had searched receiver options.
    AVR - Onkyo NR809
    Center - CSi5
    Surround - FXiA6's
    Sub - psw505
    Movies and games - PS3
    TV - Toshiba 52" HD

• sarvic
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Well, right now I just temporarily have them hooked up to my Denon AVR 2309 receiver in my living room.

As far at the dimensions of the theater room, they are 15x21 with about an 8-9' ceiling.

Was looking to purchase the speakers first, then various electronics and media furniture next, then lastly the TV and receiver to take advantage of the latest tech...

Yes, I have the speakers right now minus the dual subs which I was gonna get the SVS PB-12's
  • pdxfj
    pdxfj Posts: 376
    edited April 2013
    Options
    The dimensions of my HT are very close to yours (13x19x7) and I'm running all Rti-A series speakers in a 7.2 system. My fronts are powered off a 5ch Sony ES amp (120x5) that is bridged to 200x200 with the fifth channel at 120w for the center.

With room treatments, and my Onkyo 1010 running the side and back surrounds nothing breaks a sweat even near reference volumes. I'm sure I could run just the Onkyo for everything and be fine. Guess what I'm trying to say is a dedicated amp for everything is not necessary. If you really want an amp, save some coin and just get a 2 or 3 channel amp as others have said. Let your AVR do the rest. If I had bought an Onkyo 3010 or 5010 I wouldn't even keep the dedicated amp in the mix.

Also make sure you have the space for the PB-12's. I considered those, but they were just too big. So I got the PC-12's instead.

Not sure this really adds anything to the conversation.. too much coffee today....
  • sarvic
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Well, thanks to everyone's input here, I reckon i'll just stick with a nice receiver instead of getting a separate amp. Hope to see some potential new things coming out for CEDIA 2013 this year. Thanks again for the help with this.
    :)
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Wyred4sound. Nuff said.
  • zeppage2
    zeppage2 Posts: 196
    edited April 2013
    Options
  • sarvic
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Yeah, I saw that one. Definitely a nice price. :)
  • nwohlford
    nwohlford Posts: 700
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Well, thanks to everyone's input here, I reckon i'll just stick with a nice receiver instead of getting a separate amp. Hope to see some potential new things coming out for CEDIA 2013 this year. Thanks again for the help with this.
    :)

I would only get a receiver with Audyssey XT32 or the equivalent (Anthem's ARC is the only thing that comes to mind) unless you are EQing your subs separately. Good speakers (which you have), dual subs, and room correction/treatments are the biggest improvements.
  • snake1
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Just curious since it pertains to the conversation, how does that Pioneer receiver put out 140wpc all channels driven and only weighs 40lbs?? What kind of tech allows for this?
    AVR - Onkyo NR809
    Center - CSi5
    Surround - FXiA6's
    Sub - psw505
    Movies and games - PS3
    TV - Toshiba 52" HD

• EndersShadow
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Just curious since it pertains to the conversation, how does that Pioneer receiver put out 140wpc all channels driven and only weighs 40lbs?? What kind of tech allows for this?

ICE Amps which are Class D. But dont ask me what that means lol...
  • kuntasensei
    edited April 2013
    Options
    ICE Amps which are Class D. But dont ask me what that means lol...
    Yup. Same reason my Crown XLS-1500 weighs all of 8 pounds and yet puts out 525w/ch at 4 ohms. It replaced a Samson 1000 that weighed 4x as much and yet it controls my sub and Buttkicker MUCH better. It's scary how light Class D amps are.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Sunfire 7201
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited April 2013
    Options

Class D amps as Enders mentioned. I think in testing, the SC 57 receiver put out ~110+ wpc 7 channels driven, which seems pretty decent.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-elite-sc-57-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs