Help the FNG

Far_man
Far_man Posts: 7
edited April 2013 in Forum Testing Area
Hello all,

I am brand new to this forum and the audiophile world. I’ve been researching my first system (and Audiophile in general) for a few weeks now, and think I found a good mix. My wife has to sign off on the whole thing and basically told me I was free to choose whatever as long as it met two items: A) it was within budget (~2000) B) she could use it to watch movies. I am more into music; so I need a system that can meet both our demands.

Now, with that being said let me get into it. I have a 12x20’ room, however; we will be [probably] sitting toward the speakers facing the long wall in the corner of the room. Below is the system I am considering, any input on it would be greatly appreciated. Don’t hold back; if I messed something up, please let me know.

Speakers: 2 x Polk tsi500
Subwoofer: PSW110
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR709
Amp: Emotiva XPA-200

---Already Owned---
Video: 55” Samsung Plasma
Blue-ray player: PS3 and a LG.

I know it’s only 2.1 (aka super simple) but I figure I could always upgrade as I go. I really just want to invest in quality products that will last, while giving me some room to grow. I live in a duplex. Do I even really need the amp? The Onkyo 709 is rated at 110wpc, and I am only getting an extra 40wpc with the XPA200 for an extra 500 bucks. But, I have read that the Onkyo (at least the 609, I’ve read the 709 isn’t as bad) can run a little hot so I figured I could give it an amp to keep its work load down. Plus, I really want to make sure the 500s are not underpowered. Then I chose the PSW110, b/c some individuals were saying that the 10 can easily get lost in the sound of everything else and just buck up the extra 50 dollars for the 110. I am not looking for something that hits super hard but I do want to be able to feel the lows. A lot of reviews said the 500s were straining to hit the super lows and could use a partner. I am hoping the 110 will do just that and will accent the 500s, not steal the show. Please just let me know what you think. Should I consider something else? Am I overlooking something? Am I trying to divide by zero? Etc… Thank you all for the help! I am planning on auditioning these and other speakers this weekend. But, it is hard to find a store that will. I have a feeling I am going to have to purchase, then audition, and if I don’t like it return it.

P.S. If it matters; I listen to Jazz, R&B, Blues, a little Classic Rock, and a little Rap. We also do play quite a few video games.

Oh, I almost forgot. Can I hook up the 2 500s to the amp and the sub directly to the receiver?
Thanks again.
Post edited by Far_man on

Comments

• zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited April 2013
    I believe the 709 has a LFE output for your sub, but I would look at the PSW505 for the sub, can usually be found for less than $200 if you keep an eye on the sales at Newegg. The XPA-200 will power those just fine. I have a few Onkyos's and the part that seems to run hot is the HDMI board, I put a small Thermaltake USB powered fan on top of the cover above the HDMI board to help keep it cool and haven't had any problems. You and your wife should enjoy the sound.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • Far_man
    edited April 2013
    Hey thanks, I really appreciate the help. I’ll definitely take a look at the 505, especially if it’ll save me 50. I also like that idea with the USB fan; I’ll probably steal that one too. LOL
  • Far_man
    edited April 2013
    Just a quick update to this post. I purchased/hooked up everything from the previous post and I am extremely pleased with the results! The 500s really respond well with my music. I turn the sub off while listening to jazz and I am really happy with it. My wife is very happy with the set up as well; we have watched a few movies and the PSW505 sub really impressed her, along with the crisp sound of the TSI500s. I just wanted to express my gratitude to all of you as well. I have been surfing this forum for a while and gathered/ing a ton of tips, all of which went into my selection above. So, thank you all!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited April 2013
    That's terrific, you made great choices now sit back with your wife and enjoy!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited April 2013
    Center channel speaker CS20 would improve your video enjoyment IMO. Add surrounds later.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    edited April 2013
    Great start on your system. If you could convince her that adding a CS 20 would make a dramatic improvement to her movie experience, you'll have a 7.1 system by Labor Day.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,254
    edited April 2013
    Nice choice on the PSW505. Newegg has them in the "Open Box/ Clearance" section occasionally for $179, shipped.
    Sal Palooza
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited April 2013
    Help the FNG? Sounds like a South American revolutionary group. :smile:
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Far_man
    edited April 2013
    Yes! And it begins! I just mentioned it to her; she just replied, “Ok, but let’s give it a little bit”. Which means once I get I back from my deployment I will have my new center :cheesygrin:.

Damn, I didn't see the $179 505s. But, I was really excited to get everything though. I even put the over night shipping on my cables from Blue Jeans, haha.

LOL, sorry BlueFox, FNG in the AF just means "F***in' new guy".
  • pdxfj
    pdxfj Posts: 376
    edited April 2013
    Far_man wrote: »
    I turn the sub off while listening to jazz and I am really happy with it.

Congrats on the new equipment and good you're happy with everything. I am curious as to how you are turning off the sub.. Are you going to it and killing the power or ? If so, you can just press the "Music" button your remote to cycle through the different sound modes. When you hit "Direct" or "Pure" the AVR will bypass Audyssey all together, omit the sub and send the full range signal to your 500's.

Dunno if it helps, but thought I would toss that out there.
  • Far_man
    edited April 2013
    Thank you. Yup, you got it, I use the pure audio function on the Onkyo. I just leave the sub on auto on/off and it will go into stand by when no signal is going to it.
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited April 2013
    Get that CS20 !!! You & the wife will be happy.