Oppo 105, coming soon to a livingroom near me!

audio_alan
audio_alan Posts: 770
edited February 2013 in 2 Channel Audio
So I decided to pull the trigger on an Oppo 105. I plan on hooking it up with HDMI and 7.1 analog to determine which way I like it better, as well as the dedicated 2-channel outputs for my stereo setup (to take advantage of the upgraded 2-channel audio path).

Has anyone tried these 7.1 cables?

http://www.ramelectronics.net/product.aspx?zpid=3032

Other suggestions that won't break the bank? My wallet is a little sore after the 105 purchase...
Post edited by audio_alan on

Comments

• falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited February 2013
    audio_alan wrote: »
    ... I plan on hooking it up with HDMI and 7.1 analog to determine which way I like it better, as well as the dedicated 2-channel outputs for my stereo setup...

Congrats on the awesome player!

I would think that you HAVE to hook it up via its analog outputs, including the 2-channel outputs, otherwise why not just get a 103?

edit: oh, and Signal Cable for cables.

http://signalcable.com/analoght.html
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • audio_alan
    edited February 2013
    falconcry - Yeah, I agree that I should use the Oppo analogs, considering that's one of the main benefits of the 105 over the 103. I will definitely be using the Oppo's stereo analogs to my 2-channel setup, since the majority of my music collection is still regular CDs. So at the very least I know I'll be taking advantage of the ESS Sabre DAC for 2-channel music.

But, I'm thinking I should try it both ways for surround sound. It comes down to the Pioneer Elite SC-27's Wolfson DAC+room correction vs. the ESS Sabre DAC+no room correction (except speakers distances and trim). I'm thinking the Oppo via analog should still be superior, but I won't know until I try.

Thanks for the Signal Cable suggestion! That looks better than the cable I found.

Any other suggestions? And as a long shot, has anyone already compared digital vs. analog with the SC-27 and the Oppo?
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited February 2013
    That's cool you can try it both ways. Have fun!
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited February 2013
  • Lost240
    Lost240 Posts: 176
    edited February 2013
    I love my Oppo and their customer service is extraordinary!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited February 2013
    I made my own cables with those Canare RCA's and Belden 1694 cable. I love the Canare RCA's they grip very good without the grip of death many have. I have not used the Signals but i have used AQ Diamondbacks,Audio advisor Black Mamba's and several different Monsters Nothing compares to the home made Belden Canare cables. I am planning on making more in the near future stepping up to the better Canare cables instead of the Belden....I may just go back to the 1694Belden-Canare combo.
    Good stuff.
  • audio_alan
    edited February 2013
    Pitdogg - Good idea, but I have a feeling the Oppo isn't going to wait for me to build my own cables. It just got delivered today, and I can hear it calling to me from under my work desk - Hook me up tonight! Don't worry about what kind of cable, just do it! :cheesygrin: Then again, I couldn't order any cable in time for the inevitable hookup tonight anyway. Where do you order your cable components from?

LOL, Larry. Nice graphic! I take that to mean I'm going to be happier than a Chinese girl on a game show? haha I wrestled back and forth between the 103 and 105. In the end, I didn't want any regrets of "what could have been", so I went with the 105. Not to mention, the 105 just looks so much more flexible with the extra connections...
  • pitdogg2
    edited February 2013
    I understand completely but I was just expressing that those cables you linked to are very good and well priced. The Canare RCA's are the most expensive part. There is no soldering on those.
  • pitdogg2
    edited February 2013
    http://www.markertek.com/Canare-Corporation-Of-America.xhtml?gclid=COjW5s6917UCFQ_znAodKGcA6A

the most expensive part is the compression tool and RCA's
    I use a Palladin much cheaper but I do not have the model number at present.
  • audio_alan
    edited February 2013
    Nice, I didn't know they were solder-less connectors. I might just go that direction. From your link, I see there are several models of Canare RCA connectors. Which model would you recommend? I don't see them listing the connectors for Belden 1694 cable.
  • pitdogg2
    edited February 2013
    audio_alan wrote: »
    Nice, I didn't know they were solder-less connectors. I might just go that direction. From your link, I see there are several models of Canare RCA connectors. Which model would you recommend? I don't see them listing the connectors for Belden 1694 cable.

Canare RCA's come in different sizes for different cable give that place a call explain what your doing they will point you in the right direction.
    the tool i use is a palladin crimpall I'll PM the bit that goes with it.