Oppo 105, coming soon to a livingroom near me!

audio_alanaudio_alan Posts: 738
edited February 2013 in 2 Channel Audio
So I decided to pull the trigger on an Oppo 105. I plan on hooking it up with HDMI and 7.1 analog to determine which way I like it better, as well as the dedicated 2-channel outputs for my stereo setup (to take advantage of the upgraded 2-channel audio path).

Has anyone tried these 7.1 cables?

http://www.ramelectronics.net/product.aspx?zpid=3032

Other suggestions that won't break the bank? My wallet is a little sore after the 105 purchase...
Post edited by audio_alan on

Comments

• falconcry72falconcry72 Posts: 3,579
    edited February 2013
    audio_alan wrote: »
    ... I plan on hooking it up with HDMI and 7.1 analog to determine which way I like it better, as well as the dedicated 2-channel outputs for my stereo setup...

Congrats on the awesome player!

I would think that you HAVE to hook it up via its analog outputs, including the 2-channel outputs, otherwise why not just get a 103?

edit: oh, and Signal Cable for cables.

http://signalcable.com/analoght.html
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo
    DAC: McIntosh D-100
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-26
    Power Amp: Pass Labs X-250.5
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV-8801
    Power Amp: Bryston 9B-ST
    Fronts: Sonus Faber Liuto Towers
    Center: Sonus Faber Liuto Smart Center
    Surrounds: Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-Pluses
  • audio_alanaudio_alan Posts: 738
    edited February 2013
    falconcry - Yeah, I agree that I should use the Oppo analogs, considering that's one of the main benefits of the 105 over the 103. I will definitely be using the Oppo's stereo analogs to my 2-channel setup, since the majority of my music collection is still regular CDs. So at the very least I know I'll be taking advantage of the ESS Sabre DAC for 2-channel music.

But, I'm thinking I should try it both ways for surround sound. It comes down to the Pioneer Elite SC-27's Wolfson DAC+room correction vs. the ESS Sabre DAC+no room correction (except speakers distances and trim). I'm thinking the Oppo via analog should still be superior, but I won't know until I try.

Thanks for the Signal Cable suggestion! That looks better than the cable I found.

Any other suggestions? And as a long shot, has anyone already compared digital vs. analog with the SC-27 and the Oppo?
  • falconcry72falconcry72 Posts: 3,579
    edited February 2013
    That's cool you can try it both ways. Have fun!
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo
    DAC: McIntosh D-100
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-26
    Power Amp: Pass Labs X-250.5
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV-8801
    Power Amp: Bryston 9B-ST
    Fronts: Sonus Faber Liuto Towers
    Center: Sonus Faber Liuto Smart Center
    Surrounds: Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-Pluses
  • Toolfan66Toolfan66 Posts: 14,134
    edited February 2013
    tae_zpsd718bace.gif
  • Lost240Lost240 Posts: 176
    edited February 2013
    I love my Oppo and their customer service is extraordinary!
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 13,366
    edited February 2013
    I made my own cables with those Canare RCA's and Belden 1694 cable. I love the Canare RCA's they grip very good without the grip of death many have. I have not used the Signals but i have used AQ Diamondbacks,Audio advisor Black Mamba's and several different Monsters Nothing compares to the home made Belden Canare cables. I am planning on making more in the near future stepping up to the better Canare cables instead of the Belden....I may just go back to the 1694Belden-Canare combo.
    Good stuff.
    edited February 2013
    Pitdogg - Good idea, but I have a feeling the Oppo isn't going to wait for me to build my own cables. It just got delivered today, and I can hear it calling to me from under my work desk - Hook me up tonight! Don't worry about what kind of cable, just do it! :cheesygrin: Then again, I couldn't order any cable in time for the inevitable hookup tonight anyway. Where do you order your cable components from?

LOL, Larry. Nice graphic! I take that to mean I'm going to be happier than a Chinese girl on a game show? haha I wrestled back and forth between the 103 and 105. In the end, I didn't want any regrets of "what could have been", so I went with the 105. Not to mention, the 105 just looks so much more flexible with the extra connections...
    edited February 2013
    I understand completely but I was just expressing that those cables you linked to are very good and well priced. The Canare RCA's are the most expensive part. There is no soldering on those.
    edited February 2013
    http://www.markertek.com/Canare-Corporation-Of-America.xhtml?gclid=COjW5s6917UCFQ_znAodKGcA6A

the most expensive part is the compression tool and RCA's
    I use a Palladin much cheaper but I do not have the model number at present.
    edited February 2013
    Nice, I didn't know they were solder-less connectors. I might just go that direction. From your link, I see there are several models of Canare RCA connectors. Which model would you recommend? I don't see them listing the connectors for Belden 1694 cable.
    edited February 2013
    audio_alan wrote: »
    Nice, I didn't know they were solder-less connectors. I might just go that direction. From your link, I see there are several models of Canare RCA connectors. Which model would you recommend? I don't see them listing the connectors for Belden 1694 cable.

Canare RCA's come in different sizes for different cable give that place a call explain what your doing they will point you in the right direction.
    the tool i use is a palladin crimpall I'll PM the bit that goes with it.