I'm quitting smoking again arrrgggggg!!!!

polkfarmboy
polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
edited March 2013 in The Clubhouse
Right now I am quitting smoking again and its really hard. One thing I dont miss is wrapping up in the layers of clothing the fight off the hardcore midwest winter to got outside to have one. I have in the past been quite good with the gum but after falling asleep with it in my mouth and chomping too much I just got tired and smoked again. Plus the gum makes your @ss bleed

Well today I decided to get into the whole vapor thang and I gotta say its made me wonder why I never got into it before now. I used to climb the walls with the irritation and be in a foul mood. I have been using the njoy throw away smokes but a $8 a smoke it aint cheap but I cannot put a price on what its done for my craving. I don't feel that horrible irritation even when I read one of nooshinjohns posts

Have any of you guys had a hard time with the old cancer sticks? If so I think that the vapor smokes should be something you should put into your quit plan
Post edited by polkfarmboy on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2013
    I don't feel that horrible irritation even when I read one of nooshinjohns posts lol

Shaaaaaaaaaame on you!:cheesygrin:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited February 2013
    I need to quit for sure, but have never really tried.

#1 I look so cool doing it!:rolleyes:
    #2 Zero calories, no carbs, no sugar, no salt whats not to like?:rolleyes:

All kidding aside, I can see me doing a plan in the near future.

So my hat is off to you for trying.
    I will probably be trying to quit in the very near future myself.

Good luck man!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited February 2013
    Don't swallow the gum and your @ss won't bleed. I quit cold turkey 20 years ago its a nasty habit good luck to you. The wife is now 2 months with out them at least when I'am around. I don't think the vapor things will do any good, plus how would that look anyways?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • polkfarmboy
    edited February 2013
    Well pepster I think you should just try a vapor once and it will surprise you, especially if you want to quit

I think I'm at that age now where I'm in danger of getting smokers floppy ****-a-doodle
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited February 2013
    Ha ha ha to much info that should motivate you to quit, you gotta keep the Missus happy!
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Systems
    edited February 2013
    Do a search for "modding vapor cigarettes" on YouTube.

I was shocked to see the extent people go to, to modify those things.

Crazy!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    edited February 2013
    I've quit about 10 times. Good luck. Maybe I'll try the 11th time in the near future.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited February 2013
    Such a nasty habit, I never understood the allure of it.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • over50
    over50 Posts: 201
    edited February 2013
    I tried hundreds of times to stop smoking. I`v havnt had a cigarette for 7 years . Just think of all the money you will save and you will live longer. With the money you`lll save you can buy a new audio system.
    Marantz SR 7007
    polkaudio RTi10
    polkaudio CSi A6
    polkaudio RTiA3
    B&K ST.3140 Power Amplifier
    HSU Research VTF2 MK3
    Vizio P65-C1
    Panasonic 605 blu ray
    Onkyo DS-A4 i-pod Dock
    Universal Remote
    BDI Icon 9429 TV Stand
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited February 2013
    Chantix was my end to a 40+ year nicotine addiction. If you are ready to be smokefree, give it a chance. Like many, I had tried and failed many times before. Has been almost three years since I had my last smoke.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited February 2013
    Just hit my 7 year anniversary smoke free. If you really want to quit it's a lot easier then just trying. I woke up one morning and said i was done and havent had one since. All the other times I tried quitting I wasn't ready to hence why I failed. I wish you the best of luck.
  • badchad
    badchad Posts: 348
    edited February 2013
    I think the vaporizing/e-cigs are a great idea. Unfortunately, at the moment they're pretty much entirely unregulated. That's a bit unnerving considering the number of people that use them.
    Polk Fronts: RTi A7's
    Polk Center: CSi A6
    Polk Surrounds: FXi A6's
    Polk Rear Surround: RTi4
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 (MK1)
    AVR: Yamaha RX-A2010
    B&K Reference 200.7
    TV: Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Oppo BDP-103
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    edited February 2013
    Congrats. 6 years for me now and loving it!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    edited February 2013
    Smoking cost people big, BIG, bucks nowadays. Guess the government has to get money out of everything more and more. It's the taxes that make it so danged expensive. Think if they put that same type (percentage) of "sin" tax on booze, wow, what an uproar you'd see from the masses! However, I'm not trying to start anything comparing the two so, please, no health costs verses traffic deaths, etc...

Anyway, I've tried a couple of times, then, I quit trying to quit. I told my wife "nobody likes a quitter". All kidding aside if I had to purchase store bought smokes I'd be in the poor house so I load my own. I've done that for the past 8-9 years and it costs me around $1.60 pack. Other than that it also costs me time. I did quit drinking in 1993, kind of a "had to" thing, otherwise I'd probably be 6 feet under.

Addictions are addictions, no doubt about it, no matter what chemical it is.

Good luck with quitting! I was told years ago by an ex-smoker. Most people quit when they're ready to quit. He smoked for almost 30 years, quit cold turkey and never looked back...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    edited February 2013
    Hang in there it has been 12 yrs since my last smoke. Once you make up your mind that you want to quit, you will. I just decided I wanted to stop and I did. You just have to find a distraction for those few times you have the cravings until they go away.
  • Tankman
    Tankman Posts: 419
    edited February 2013
    I quit back in 2005 lasted about 1 1/2 months went to jail and started up again.Wish I never pick dem nasty things up in my teens..But like most who smoke I do injoy a good Camel in the morning with my cup of Joe.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited February 2013
    About 11 years since I quit ciggies. Wasn't hard for me for whatever reason. I had a few weak moments when I would drink heavily (for about the 1st year), but other than that, it never bothered me. It was simple really, my girlfriend (who became my wife) was a non-smoker so that was it. She was disapproving, I wanted to quit anyway, and that was it. Just never an option again.
    Now I gag when I smell someone lighting up.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited February 2013
    Couple things PFB...

First, good luck man. It's been over 3 years since I quite cold turkey and I'll never go back. Occasional cigar for this boy.

Second, stop using the fake vapor smokes. I only say it because they haven't been approved or cleared through the proper health departments. They don;t even know the affects those have on people yet... so be cautious.

After the second week, you'll be fine.
  • ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    edited February 2013
    I used the "Patch" and I've been ciggy-free for 4 yrs. That thing really cut down the obsession and compulsion to light up. Highly recommended. Best thing you can do for your health! Good luck!
    TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
    AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,707
    edited February 2013
    Quit cold turkey three years ago. It's easy after the first month, don't ever crave them anymore.

I wouldn't bother with the vapor smokes, you are just trading one form of nicotine addiction for another. What's the point of that?
  • polkfarmboy
    edited February 2013
    Well right now I just got done on the heavy 4.2 mg of nicotine and its got a kick for sure and helped me not need a smoke. Now I have the 1.8 mg vapors and its more mellow but I smoke more of it but man does it really help. I plan on going down to a 1.2 next and I am buying a $120 kit as these chuck away smokes cost a fortune. Ultimately when I get the kit I can do my own refills and start going down to 1.0,0.9,0.8 etc... till I am down to just the vapor

I purchased the njoy recharge pack with the refills and its a piece of crap and really crappy as you cant even get a proper drag. It seems like lots of air mixes in and just tastes harsher and it said that the charge for 3 hours gives you 2 days but its more like 5 hours, big waste of cash but at least I am not even remotely tempted today for a real ciggy
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    edited February 2013
    PFB.....you get tired of burning your lips from putting the lit end in first? :cheesygrin:
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,309
    edited February 2013
    I quit for good 25 years ago. Cold turkey, but I did it by telling myself that I didn't quit, "I am just not smoking today". Did that for about a month or so before I decided that I did quit. Quitting is such a mental thing as well as physical. Telling myself that I didn't quit but wasn't smoking, was my way of avoiding the dreaded idea that I could never have one again. Worked for me.

A friend of mine wanted to quit recently and he is trying the vapor cigs. He said the throw away kind helped him to decide that he could use them instead of tobacco cigs, but that the ones in the kits were far better tasting. He swears by eGo cigs and orders them from http://www.madvapes.com/

I never tried one, and I would worry about the unknown effects, but it does seem like it has to be better than tobacco. And like others mentioned here, you can wean yourself off these by decreasing the amount of nicotine a little at a time.

Good luck whatever you decide. If you quit, you won't regret it.
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited February 2013
    End of the world is anounced............a carton of Marlboros is my first purchase ! :lol: FWIW, there were no vapors around when I quit, the lozenges were a Godsend ! Good luck !!! :wink:
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited February 2013
    Congrats to you all trying to quit and those that have. I remember when I tried smoking as a teenager, Mom wore my a$$ out with that leather belt. Needless to say I grew up smoke-free. Story of my life.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    edited February 2013
    You can do it . Think positive. Over 20yrs smoke free here. Patch made the difference. Best wishes
  • helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    edited February 2013
    Got the patches, got the lozenges, got the green smoke. Am reading this thread with A LOT of interest. Putting this in my subscriptions. Hopefully it will help.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • carvcom
    carvcom Posts: 240
    edited February 2013
    Just over 7 years for me, I woke up on Monday morning, Nov. 2005, & said to myself "I'm done"
    & I haven't had one since.
    I was so bad I chewed & smoked at the same time, for years!
    I quit chewing first, then smoking, & I feel great, can't imagine going back.
    Good luck!!!!!!
  • polkfarmboy
    edited February 2013
    Well getting into day 3 and still no cravings with the ecigs and I think I can breathe better. My energy levels have have upped a little and feeling good that I have not had the urge to smoke a regular. There has been a few occasions when I eat and then go to go outside and in the past those situations caused me great pain and depression but not now. As soon as I crave I get a happy feeling knowing that I can just go smoke the ecig and relax. These things are just a great way to get the nicotine delivered and give you something to do with the actions associated
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, but, ya still need to kick nicotine, eventually.