Seen on CL this morning

Options
apc
apc Posts: 779
edited January 2013 in The Clubhouse
http://huntsville.craigslist.org/bar/3565353300.html

In case he goes back and deletes the ad, here is the copy:

TIME TRAVEL (hartselle)
I have a functioning time machine (i know it sounds really unbelievable) but i cant use it bec i need a second person to operate it with me..

I am looking for someone that is adventurous and very reliable. prefer a male; but i could use a female if you do heavy lifting..

I am leaving on January 25th, 2013 around 10 a.m. and return no later than Jan. 29th. im going to october 1979 to take care of some unsettled business..

i need you to be serious about time travel, and reliable, so we will definately make it back home. i cant operate the machine alone..

you do not have to pay anything at all.

the only requirements are that you are reliable and the circumferance of your head is under 64cm..

we will be leaving from hartselle at my house, let me know if you would like to go with me.

serious replies only
Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
Post edited by apc on

Comments

• Tornado Red
    Tornado Red Posts: 939
    edited January 2013
    Options
    That's awesome. A real life Looper...
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Lol !!

Yeah, you have a time machine and you pick 1979 to go back to ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • apc
    edited January 2013
    Options
    "unsettled business" no less. I was in college in 1979. Wouldn't mind going back and changing course of studies knowing what things are like now ;).
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Funny.

My dad retired from Nasa at Redstone. He worked there during the hayday of the space program. My wifes uncle worked at Mission Control in Houston during the same time.

I need to make a trip to Huntsville next time I am home.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    edited January 2013
    Options
    That's too funny! wonder what responses he gets??
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Time_machine_1.jpg

Stewie says go Forward not Backward.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited January 2013
    Options
    As proof you could ask him to send you a letter from 1979. Assuming he did that you should have received it 34 years ago since it is already concluded that you accepted, thus closing the causality loop.

No letter, then it's fake. That simple.
  • apc
    edited January 2013
    Options
    That would be a great idea if I asked him to include something from today like the front page of the paper or other 'proof'.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Only worth if it we can stop by the movie theater to watch Alien...
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,141
    edited January 2013
    Options
    What is the deal with the head size?
  • oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    edited January 2013
    Options
    If feasible, I would take the trip. But first I would.....................

Convert all my holdings into gold 1 oz coinage.

Go back to 1979, sell coins, open stock account.

Put all money into Walmart until 1989. Sell Walmart, buy Cisco. Sell Cisco in Feb 2000.

At which point I would have plenty of money for not only all the vinyl I want, but a wall of McIntosh to drive my three sets of Polk speakers.

I actually figured it out. Based on a buy in of appx 2.4 million today, and a sell price on gold in October 1979 of $426.00 of appx 700K. The 700K would be worth (after selling the Cisco) just a hair over 1.6 billion dollars.
    Then I could just leave it in cash until I travel back through time to today. or if I was greedy I could wait until the Bear Sterns debacle and put in a buy order at 2.50 per share and a sell order 11 days later at $14.00

So what I am saying is that the very first time traveler could own the planet after just a trip or two.

Or he could just go back and buy up all the used Marantz 9s and still be rather well off.
  • KellyMic
    KellyMic Posts: 166
    edited January 2013
    Options
    monepolk wrote: »
    What is the deal with the head size?
    Big headed people can't travel back in time, the brain mass it to much and bursts. I just assumed everyone knew that, gosh!
    ---
    Polk Studio Monitor 4.6 Series 2's, Polk RT1000p's, Polk LSi25's, Boston Acoustic VR-975's
    Crown D-75, Crown CE1000, Crown CE2000
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited January 2013
    Options
    oldmodman wrote: »
    If feasible, I would take the trip. But first I would.....................

Convert all my holdings into gold 1 oz coinage.

Go back to 1979, sell coins, open stock account.

Put all money into Walmart until 1989. Sell Walmart, buy Cisco. Sell Cisco in Feb 2000.

At which point I would have plenty of money for not only all the vinyl I want, but a wall of McIntosh to drive my three sets of Polk speakers.

I actually figured it out. Based on a buy in of appx 2.4 million today, and a sell price on gold in October 1979 of $426.00 of appx 700K. The 700K would be worth (after selling the Cisco) just a hair over 1.6 billion dollars.
    Then I could just leave it in cash until I travel back through time to today. or if I was greedy I could wait until the Bear Sterns debacle and put in a buy order at 2.50 per share and a sell order 11 days later at $14.00

So what I am saying is that the very first time traveler could own the planet after just a trip or two.

Or he could just go back and buy up all the used Marantz 9s and still be rather well off.

Why go threw all that trouble ? Just copy down all the mega million lottery numbers and you'd be set. With my luck, I'd go back in time and go...." what the heck did I do with that piece of paper ? "
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • goofyGAguy
    goofyGAguy Posts: 545
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I'm considering taking him up on the offer, but I want to see a pic of the machine first.
    My humble setup...

...is no more. :cry:
  • Nhpm510
    Nhpm510 Posts: 138
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I wouldn't laugh as there are many NASA genius running around Huntsville. Could be something big....
    I'd respond but my head is too big.
  • Nhpm510
    Nhpm510 Posts: 138
    edited January 2013
    Options
    goofyGAguy wrote: »
    I'm considering taking him up on the offer, but I want to see a pic of the machine first.

If you go, would you pick me up a couple,hundred share of MFST stock?
  • goofyGAguy
    goofyGAguy Posts: 545
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Nhpm510 wrote: »

Sure thing.
    My humble setup...

...is no more. :cry:
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Nhpm510 wrote: »

Hope you meant Microsoft (MSFT) 'cause MFST is Midifirst Soulutions which is .39 a share right now....
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited January 2013
    Options
    sng.jpg 14.8K
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • htrdln
    htrdln Posts: 116
    edited January 2013
    Options
    i want to see the flux capacitor
  • Anthony Hinton
    Anthony Hinton Posts: 107
    edited January 2013
    Options
    htrdln wrote: »
    i want to see the flux capacitor

lol!
  • timalan
    timalan Posts: 106
    edited January 2013
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Why go threw all that trouble ? Just copy down all the mega million lottery numbers and you'd be set. With my luck, I'd go back in time and go...." what the heck did I do with that piece of paper ? "

Only problem with lottery winners is that they get lots of news coverage -- everyone wants what you have. with the stock market, the big winners generally remain anonymous... that way you only have to share your wall of McIntosh gear with your closest friends. :)
    5.1 theater - Pioneer SC-07, Mirage OMD-CC center, 4 x Mirage Omnisats, Boston Acoustics VPS-210 sub
    2.1 living room - NAD 7400 integrated, 2 x Platinum Audio Duos, MIT Terminator4 cables
    2.1 bedroom- Arcam Solo, 2 x Mirage OMD-5's
    FOR SALE - Genesis Servo-10 sub, Genesis Servo-12 amp; Martin Logan Dynamo sub; Mirage MM-6 sub; Harman Kardon DPR-1001 7.1 receiver
  • Speedskater
    Speedskater Posts: 495
    edited January 2013
    Options
    People have been posting that fake ad for years. Or else the inventor is stuck in some sort of time wrap/warp.