New Emotiva XPR-2... 2 channel, 600 watts into 8 ohms, 1000 watts into 4 ohms

124»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited December 2012
    Emoettes and petulant children have much in common.

Hehe.....
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xftman
    xftman Posts: 153
    edited December 2012
    Finally pull the trigger for XPA-5 to add to my system to power my lsiC, lsiF/X. Currently I only have an Adcom 555II to power my front lsi15. the XPA-5 should be here by Friday. I will compare and make up mind either keep the Adcom or use xpa-5 for all 5. Hopefully I could pack my Adcom as planned and save some space.
    MAIN:
    Front- LsiM 707 (MIT Terminator 2 Bi-Wire),
    Center- lsiM 706,
    Surrounds- lsi F/X,
    Power sub PSW1000,
    Receiver- Harman Kardon Avr 3700,
    Amp - Emo XPR-5.

Secondary (2.1):
    LsiM 703,
    HK Avr 3700,
    Yaqin MS-30L,
    Polk DSW-PRO 400.

• Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    edited December 2012
    xftman wrote: »
    Finally pull the trigger for XPA-5 to add to my system to power my lsiC, lsiF/X. Currently I only have an Adcom 555II to power my front lsi15. the XPA-5 should be here by Friday. I will compare and make up mind either keep the Adcom or use xpa-5 for all 5. Hopefully I could pack my Adcom as planned and save some space.

Good choice Excellent Amp just be careful remember lift with your legs, lol
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • rdb2001
    rdb2001 Posts: 791
    edited December 2012
    audio_alan wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, based on the comments of the last few pages, IMO many of the more experienced members believe they can judge Emotiva's newest amp without hearing it. I get the impression that just because they owned an XPA-5 or XPA-3, it makes them an authority on every Emotiva amp that exists, or ever will exist. (Did their amp even have a chance to break-in?) That's what pisses off Emotiva owners.

Now, take that to the next level. If they haven't heard the newest model (the XPR-2), how can they say it sounds anything like the previous generation model that they had in their house for a couple weeks before they declared it pure junk and sent it back? IMHO, they can't and shouldn't. How can they say the XPR-2 is an inferior design, with inferior parts? Did any of them help design the amp and know the exact type of resistors, capacitors, etc inside the amp? I doubt it. This is what pisses off people who like their Emotiva amps.

I bet not a single person that is calling the XPR-2 a budget amp, a yugo, or entry-level amp, etc on this thread has heard the XPR-2, perhaps not even the XPA-2... yet somehow they are convinced that it's just a budget amp and "nothing new". That's why people who like their Emotivas get pissed.

But, in all fairness, this goes both ways fellas! Emotiva fans coming on here saying it's the best things since sliced bread is overdoing it as well. Perhaps with a little less enthusiastic pumping, and less putting down of other people's equipment that they like, we'll all get along a little better....

I started the thread, with some hesitation mind you, because I wanted to see if anyone had actually heard it (or was on the fence and wanted to try it) and share their experience with this particular model of amp, and give some kind of a review on it. I guess nobody has. It appears nothing but ill-will has come from this thread. At this point, I'm almost sorry I even started it...

Stepping down from my soap box, I guess I'll just go back to listening to my SDA-SRS's, my dared sl2000a tube-pre, and yes, an Emotiva XPA-2.... and I'll be grinning the entire time. In the end, that's all that matters, that we are happy with our purchases. Let's ALL try to keep that in mind in these discussions...

'nuff said.

+10000

I will admit my disdain for EMO strictly came from here and hearing people call it junk. I had never tried them on my own. Well I have friends on other sites that have had parasound halo, bryston, and other really nice monoblock setups. I have talked to people that about 30-50k in speakers alone and running the emo xpa1's on their setups. They all gave the monos great praise. They didnt not say these are be all end all but said its hard to justify the price difference once you compare them to higher end amps. They did say that the emo multichannel amps have much left to be desired but the monos were leaps and bounds above the multi channel amps.

Well i decide to do in home trial for myself. Thats what bugs me about the emo haters on this site. Mostly none of them have heard the amps in their home, on their system for an extended period of time. They rag on newbies that dont give equipment a proper chance to break in and say you cant make a decison on a piece in a couple of days or weeks but yet they feel they can make an informed opinion on emo amps without ever demoing them for an extended period of time. Most of them call emo junk when they gear they are running is about on par with the emo. I simply didnt get.

I currently have inhouse bryston 7bsst2 monos, bryston 4bsst2, Classe CA-201, Classe CAV180, and Emo XPA 1's on the 30 day in home demo. I have about 10 days left with the emos before I make a decision to keep them or not. Well i will tell you the emo's were bright when first hooked up and I expected that. To me Bryston is just a bright once I heard both in my room, in my system. Well after about 70 hrs or so, the xpa'1s ended up coming into their own. It was a pleasant surprise. I did not expect what I was hearing. If I had to describe them, I would consider them a nuetral amp. Goobs of power. They seemed to run effortless. Very Detailed highs, punchy midbass, and nice tight bass. For 1700 shipped, I couldnt have been more suprised. There are subtle differences between the emos and the bryston where the bryston wins out but the biggest difference to me was build quality. The bryston and classe have superior build quality over the emos. I am not saying that emo is bad because it is not but you can see where some of the extra money is going when your purchase these higher end brands. Casing and other things stand out.

This is my opinion and my opinion only and this is in my system. If I had to rate the amps, it would be Classe, Bryston, and Emo running a close 3rd. To me Classe has the better sound for my system. Their highs are more liquid, soundstage is a bit wider and it just seems more life like. Bryston can be a bit sterile at times but has great detail, great imaging and very authoritive bass. The emos to me are close to the description of the bryston, but the bryston has a little bit better control of the bass region. In my opinion the brystons should be better, they are 10k retail vs 1700. That is where a person has to make a decision, and ask themselves is those subtle differences worth the price of admission and to me that all depends on the person. I can honestly say that I would have no problem running the emo monos in my system and my system is no where near entry level and the components are posted in another thread. I hope this help you Alan. Do an in home demo and decide for yourself. In the end, your ears are all that matter. To me the demo was worth the return shipping if I dont drive them back myself. I was able to find out for myself what their amps are capable of. To me and I have said this before, speakers, treating your room, and preamps are where your biggest gains are at. Going from an ss preamp to a tube preamp took my system to an entirely new level, way more than any amp has ever done. again this is all my subjective opinion.
  • rdb2001
    rdb2001 Posts: 791
    edited December 2012
    http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=streetsmart&folderid=5932

This guy has well over 100k into his system and run their xpa'1s. Give him a shout if you want an informed opinion.
  • audio_alan
    audio_alan Posts: 770
    edited December 2012
    Thanks for your input, rdb. I probably won't be going with monoblocks anytime soon though, since I have the original model SDA-SRS (not 1.2 or 1.2tl). If I recall correctly, I can't run monos with them, not even with an AI-1 Dreadnought. So, I probably need to just stick with a common ground 2-channel amp for now. That's why I was considering the XPR-2, if it's a worthwhile upgrade over the XPA-2.
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited December 2012
    rdb2001 wrote: »
    +10000

I will admit my disdain for EMO strictly came from here and hearing people call it junk. I had never tried them on my own. Well I have friends on other sites that have had parasound halo, bryston, and other really nice monoblock setups. I have talked to people that about 30-50k in speakers alone and running the emo xpa1's on their setups. They all gave the monos great praise. They didnt not say these are be all end all but said its hard to justify the price difference once you compare them to higher end amps. They did say that the emo multichannel amps have much left to be desired but the monos were leaps and bounds above the multi channel amps.

Well i decide to do in home trial for myself. Thats what bugs me about the emo haters on this site. Mostly none of them have heard the amps in their home, on their system for an extended period of time. They rag on newbies that dont give equipment a proper chance to break in and say you cant make a decison on a piece in a couple of days or weeks but yet they feel they can make an informed opinion on emo amps without ever demoing them for an extended period of time. Most of them call emo junk when they gear they are running is about on par with the emo. I simply didnt get.

I currently have inhouse bryston 7bsst2 monos, bryston 4bsst2, Classe CA-201, Classe CAV180, and Emo XPA 1's on the 30 day in home demo. I have about 10 days left with the emos before I make a decision to keep them or not. Well i will tell you the emo's were bright when first hooked up and I expected that. To me Bryston is just a bright once I heard both in my room, in my system. Well after about 70 hrs or so, the xpa'1s ended up coming into their own. It was a pleasant surprise. I did not expect what I was hearing. If I had to describe them, I would consider them a nuetral amp. Goobs of power. They seemed to run effortless. Very Detailed highs, punchy midbass, and nice tight bass. For 1700 shipped, I couldnt have been more suprised. There are subtle differences between the emos and the bryston where the bryston wins out but the biggest difference to me was build quality. The bryston and classe have superior build quality over the emos. I am not saying that emo is bad because it is not but you can see where some of the extra money is going when your purchase these higher end brands. Casing and other things stand out.

This is my opinion and my opinion only and this is in my system. If I had to rate the amps, it would be Classe, Bryston, and Emo running a close 3rd. To me Classe has the better sound for my system. Their highs are more liquid, soundstage is a bit wider and it just seems more life like. Bryston can be a bit sterile at times but has great detail, great imaging and very authoritive bass. The emos to me are close to the description of the bryston, but the bryston has a little bit better control of the bass region. In my opinion the brystons should be better, they are 10k retail vs 1700. That is where a person has to make a decision, and ask themselves is those subtle differences worth the price of admission and to me that all depends on the person. I can honestly say that I would have no problem running the emo monos in my system and my system is no where near entry level and the components are posted in another thread. I hope this help you Alan. Do an in home demo and decide for yourself. In the end, your ears are all that matter. To me the demo was worth the return shipping if I dont drive them back myself. I was able to find out for myself what their amps are capable of. To me and I have said this before, speakers, treating your room, and preamps are where your biggest gains are at. Going from an ss preamp to a tube preamp took my system to an entirely new level, way more than any amp has ever done. again this is all my subjective opinion.

I applaud you my friend. Humble enough to admit your disdain for Emo came from this site, and wise enough to see for yourself. You have to be able to think for yourself and that's exactly what you did.

I've owned the XPA-2 and the UPA-2 amps. Thought they did a fine job. Would buy Emo amps for my 2 channel system in a heart beat, especially since I have a tube pre to balance out the top end.